DNACraft - Work in progress

mikeemoo

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all,

Just wanted to post about a new mod I'm working on, hoping to get a bit of feedback to try give myself a bit of motivation to get it finished...

It's called DNACraft. Open source mod where you can selectively breed your own variations of mobs.

You can sequence the DNA of existing vanilla mobs or your own mutant mobs and splice them together. You can also extract fragments of DNA from any organic material (seeds, pork, whatever) and splice them with other DNA to start tweaking the DNA to show off specific traits.

The idea is to eventually let you do whatever you want. If you want a pig with a high aggression level, enderman teleporting ability and drops wheat.. then you probably can with enough time and effort put in.

Of course, balance will be a huge hurdle which I haven't begun to look at yet, but I'm confident it can be done.

DNA Centrifuge = machine that pulls dna fragments from organic material
DNA Splicer = splice two DNA together, or a DNA fragment with a DNA
DNA Sequencer = sequence the DNA of an existing mob or mutant (expensive to use)
DNA Infuser (for need of a better name) = Mix your DNA with either an Egg, or potentially saplings or seeds in the future.

I'd like to eventually be able to mix it with seeds to grow, for example, pink pork dropping plants. This is just an idea at the moment, though.

I'm having to re-do a lot of the modelling within minecraft to allow mobs to render with any combination of limbs, but the work so far has been quite exciting.

Better to show it off with videos..

Sheep, spider, chicken and ocelot...

Spiderpig...

Sp-ender...

Enderlot!

Anyway, if anyones interested in helping out (I'm pretty new to modding), then give me a shout in IRC (I'm usually in espernet #computercraft #direwolf20 #ftb and #openccsensors.

Github repo is here: http://www.github.com/mikeemoo/DNACraft

thanks!

Reactions: Norfgarb

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Oh god, I nearly choked laughing at that video where you were spawning random creatures. :D

mikeemoo

Jul 29, 2019
A bit of an example of the DNA extracting and splicing.

Very very very early development of this system though!

mikeemoo

Jul 29, 2019
hfbcifQ.png

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
Hahahah this is awesome, would love to have a mutant army....

Do the mobs you create tamed under you? Or are they wild still

mikeemoo

Jul 29, 2019
I'll probably have a trait that controls whether they're tame or not eventually. Right now it doesn't exist, though.

DNACraft has 4 machines and various items in game now:

Items:
Test Tube
Needle
Syringe
DNA Profile
Pig/Sheep/Cow..etc.. Sample
Mutant Egg
Blood Sample

Machines:
DNA Splicer
DNA Sequencer
DNA Synthesizer
DNA Electroporator

A brief overview of the gameplay:

- Craft a test tube out of glass panes, craft the test tube with some organic material (such as pork) to make yourself a Pig Sample.
- You put the sample into the sequencer with some paper, and it generates a DNA Profile of the pig sample.
- You can right click the DNA profile to view a graphical representation of the DNA. It won't mean much to people yet, but I'll be adding tooltips to show what each dot means/does.
- You can then combine the DNA profile with other DNA profiles that you make inside the splicer machine. Right now it just combines the DNA, however, I'll hopefully be expanding this machine so you have some level of control over what gets spliced and what doesn't, as well as making it a computer craft peripheral so you can access the raw data via a computer.
- Next, when you're happy with your DNA profile, put it into the synthesizer to turn it into a DNA item. Right now it doesn't require any additional materials, however I'm considering the idea of adding some kind of protein requirement for this machine to work
- Now you put your DNA into the Electroporator with a chicken egg and it'll create your mutant egg.
- You can now throw your mutant egg to spawn the mob!

A few things to note:

- The Electroporator will eventually accept eggs, saplings or seeds, so you'll be able to make Creeper Crops and stuff like that.
- At any point, you can stick the DNA or a mutant egg back into the sequencer to re-generate the DNA Profile
- These machines will be quite costly to use, I'm hoping to have them hook into energy systems from other mods
- If you want to sequence the DNA of an existing mob or mutant, you can hit the mob with a syringe to take a blood sample, which you can use in the Sequencer.

Still a way to go.. I might throw out a little alpha release soon. It wont have all behaviours implemented, but it'll have the ability to make your own mutants and use the machines described above..

:)

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Just saw the videos...

This is amazing. Just simply amazing.

However, I do have a few questions;
How do you plan on implementing crops/trees? Will they be like immobile mobs which drop mob items? Do you have any planned features to balance any potential OPness in this, such as making them require special soil, or making these hideous blasphemies unable to breed, thus requiring the player replicate a 'master' strand of DNA at considerable energy/protein cost? How will this be balanced against permanent, re-growing plants, such as sugarcane or cacti?
Also, just how much do you plan on implementing DNA-wise? Sugarcane? Cacti? Flowers? Grass blocks? Vines? Mushrooms? Ferns? Dead bushes? Or even Withers? Enderdragons? What about modded mobs, maybe you could, obviously once this has been developed, add an API for mod-makers to add their mobs to your database themselves?

mikeemoo

Jul 29, 2019
Just saw the videos...

This is amazing. Just simply amazing.

However, I do have a few questions;
How do you plan on implementing crops/trees? Will they be like immobile mobs which drop mob items? Do you have any planned features to balance any potential OPness in this, such as making them require special soil, or making these hideous blasphemies unable to breed, thus requiring the player replicate a 'master' strand of DNA at considerable energy/protein cost? How will this be balanced against permanent, re-growing plants, such as sugarcane or cacti?
Also, just how much do you plan on implementing DNA-wise? Sugarcane? Cacti? Flowers? Grass blocks? Vines? Mushrooms? Ferns? Dead bushes? Or even Withers? Enderdragons? What about modded mobs, maybe you could, obviously once this has been developed, add an API for mod-makers to add their mobs to your database themselves?

Not too sure about crops and trees yet! I think they'll probably be like actual trees! just with different drops instead of just apples/saplings. To simulate stuff like mob damage i'll probably add some kind of aura around the tree.
Creating creatures from DNA will be very expensive, so the best way will be to naturally breed. I'll probably add some mechanics such as success rates in if I'm struggling to keep the balance. One thing I'm really keen on is the idea of different diseases around the world which can spread throughout mutant mobs, and different resistances come as a trait. However, this is quite low priority for me.

I'll probably add a mob API eventually. it's quite tricky to set them up so I cant imagine anyone adding anyway ;) Would be cool though!

mikeemoo

Jul 29, 2019
Looks really nice, it reminds me a lot of the Necromancy mod.
(http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1571429-147-the-necromancy-mod/)

There's a few other mod like it too I think, don't really remember the names, but these kind of mods can be pretty fun if done right, looking forward to it.

Necromancy has a similar idea, with putting parts together. The main focus of my mod will be DNA, though. Think of a science based Necromancy, but with support for more mobs, mixed with forestry bees ;-)

(I didn't know necromancy existed until a while after I first started prototyping ideas, however, I can see how it seems similar. Hopefully DNACraft can put quite a different spin on things)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
imagine an enderman holding a creeper, teleporting to you with constant sssssssssssss