Direwolf20 vs Ultimate Modpacks thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't get why people think that the ultimate pack is soo great, it's just direwolf with 3 more mods.

It's not like some server owner added the other mods to his/her server before.

Mostly, Gregtech.

Polarizes the community a lot. Some people love it, some people hate it. It certainly makes you get involved a lot more, and what it takes, it eventually gives back, but it's all at the cost of time, and learning how to work the dozens different recipes for the Industrial Grinde/Electrolyzer.

Most people, when not running Gregtech, tend to skim a lot over IC2 because BC/TE/RC is a whole lot easier and more rewarding than IC2 is. In fact, the vast majority of people end up only investing in the IC2 tech tree to get to Quantum Armor, and eventually to GraviSuit if it's installed. If neither of those is an option (like many servers), IC2 becomes very much restricted to Jetpacks & Drills. Thermal Expansion gave ore duplication to Buildcraft, making Macerators more or less obsolete, since using the Induction Smelter you can get Rich Slag from smelting Ores with Sand, which makes for a perfect match for when you want to smelt those very valuable dusts, like shiny metal ingots.

Gregtech gives you a reason to invest in IC2. It gives you the ability to get a lot of resources from the electrolyzer/grinder, at the cost of a crapton of EU, which you'll need a lot of infrastructure for. Having problems with Tin? No problem, centrifuge some Lava Cells. If you craft your cells out of Xycraft's Aluminum, you're even basically "transmuting" Aluminum into Tin, which is much more useful. Of course, you'll need 250k EU, and the process takes 2500 seconds, but hey, watcha gonna do? You installed Gregtech, man. That's your problem now.

Finally, DW20 will be getting a lot of mods that will not be added to Ultimate. Direwolf reviews a lot of mods. And i do mean A LOT. Sometimes, he finds a really cool and interesting mod that he wants to use in his LP, and then, bam, he's going to add it to his pack, so that his youtube viewers can get the mod and play his downloaded map. Not common, but he has added mods in the middle of LP's before, especially since they tend to run for at least 2 or 3 months.

Ultimate doesn't work quite like that. Process is a little more complicated, the staff that oversees the mod has to test the mod, test for compatibility, see if the community is interested in the mod or not, etc... Right now, there's a lot of overlap, primarily because DW20 and the people at FTB both play in Forgecraft and are in contact with a lot of the same mods, so it's to be expected. We will definitely be seeing a split between Ultimate and DW20 as time passes, as the focus between them is very, very different, and i doubt Direwolf himself will want his mod to be identical to the FTB Ultimate pack, as that would be quite boring for his viewers to see, and he's constantly trying to surprise his audience with new and interesting stuff.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Roran_OneEye

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kind of a moron when it comes to most of this stuff, so if you could in the simplest way what mods does DireWolf20 have that Ultimate doesn't or vice versa?

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Using GT as the dividing line between the two packs is kind of silly, because you can remove it from the equation with two clicks. I don't think that's hard to do if you're completely tech unsavvy either, so the argument about people not knowing how to do it doesn't work. If you're playing SMP, it shouldn't be hard at all either.

The main difference is that Ultimate has a few more mods (thus, giving you more things to do) and a really weird set of configs, which is harder to fix than taking GT off if you can't into computer (or play on servers).

Roran_OneEye

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks that was rather helpful! Cheers![DOUBLEPOST=1366673102][/DOUBLEPOST]
Using GT as the dividing line between the two packs is kind of silly, because you can remove it from the equation with two clicks. I don't think that's hard to do if you're completely tech unsavvy either, so the argument about people not knowing how to do it doesn't work. If you're playing SMP, it shouldn't be hard at all either.

The main difference is that Ultimate has a few more mods (thus, giving you more things to do) and a really weird set of configs, which is harder to fix than taking GT off if you can't into computer (or play on servers).

Alright well configs confuse me but I know how to disable the mods, thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1366673227][/DOUBLEPOST]Probably a simple to answer question; Is Ultimate compatible with Optifine and/or Mo'Creatures? Oh, almost forgot Thaumcraft, my main concern, are the ones in DireWolf20 and Ultimate the same?

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
The new and improved Pack Choice Chart:
CG7EfIJ.png

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Also, please do not assume that new players for FTB would reject greg tech.

Most of those having problems with the mod are the ones that were familiar with the mods it changes in the first place.

It is good to point out that greg tech makes a lot of things cost more resources and time, but also adds some interesting machines to play with when you get really end game.

I think this is important, because people new to mods might still want to endure higher costs if it means getting interesting machines later down the line. Plus, they don't exactly know what the recipes originally were anyway, so it's more of a "eh, that machine is expensive" than a "it used to be flint, not diamonds" kind of situation.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Who's original, Lambert? Yours, or mine? Because my original states that Tech World does not have Gregtech, which it does have. So I changed it to accommodate each official FTB Pack. A simple choice for any player. However, Mindcrack is not included, as the only thing different is Traincraft. Mindcrack is obsolete.

Roran_OneEye

Jul 29, 2019
New version:
diui1Ru.png

Thanks, me being the foolish lazy person I am I never noticed Magic World, I'll take a look at that.*Puts on geeky glasses*/*Nasally voice* With further analysis I can conclude that Magic World does not have Industrial Craft. I've tried to download Optifine and Dr'Zharks's Mo'Creatures onto DireWolf20 but it inevitably caused the game to crash, any ideas as to why this may have happened? And I'm almost certain that it's because of Mo'creatures.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Who's original, Lambert? Yours, or mine? Because my original states that Tech World does not have Gregtech, which it does have. So I changed it to accommodate each official FTB Pack. A simple choice for any player. However, Mindcrack is not included, as the only thing different is Traincraft. Mindcrack is obsolete.
mine lol.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, me being the foolish lazy person I am I never noticed Magic World, I'll take a look at that.*Puts on geeky glasses*/*Nasally voice* With further analysis I can conclude that Magic World does not have Industrial Craft. I've tried to download Optifine and Dr'Zharks's Mo'Creatures onto DireWolf20 but it inevitably caused the game to crash, any ideas as to why this may have happened? And I'm almost certain that it's because of Mo'creatures.

If the problem is the world leaking someone fixed that for me and I'll be happy to pass the link on

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I want MFR in my next world and it seems easier to config GregTech however you want it in Ultimate than it is to add MFR to a dw20 server and every client.