Direwolf20 vs Mindcrack vs Ultimate vs Yogscraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
So I realized that for new FTB players, all the different packs can be very confusing. Theres a ton of different options and tons of different mods that they are probably not familiar with. So I am going to make a video about the different modpacks available, which ones they should go with depending on how they like to play, and maybe some mods that they should add/remove/configure. I have a good idea of what i'm going to mention but I was wondering if anyone had any input on this. Also lets not make this a gregtech/EE3 debate thread.

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is a wonderful idea, it would nicely accompany the charts in the Pack Comparison thread. Are you intentionally not mentioning Lite, TechWorld and Magic World, since the custom ones you mentioned are mixes of them all?

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 and Yogs differ only by a few mods I think, Mindcrack is for hardcore tech stuff, Ultimate is everything. I still wish they'd just take Yogspack out and make them use light or Ultimate..

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is a wonderful idea, it would nicely accompany the charts in the Pack Comparison thread. Are you intentionally not mentioning Lite, TechWorld and Magic World, since the custom ones you mentioned are mixes of them all?
I will mention them but not reccomend them most likely. Maybe the lite pack but I don't think the other two are complete enough

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of a this pack vs that pack, do a brief overview on the different mods themselves. Let people choose which pack contains the most mods they want, or build their own with whatever mods they like if playing singleplayer. This will also help people when considering a server which adds or removes a few mods, e.g. "Mindcrack + Mystcraft".

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 and Yogs differ only by a few mods I think, Mindcrack is for hardcore tech stuff, Ultimate is everything. I still wish they'd just take Yogspack out and make them use light or Ultimate..

That kind of defeats the idea behind the server theme packs. The idea is you come as a viewer of one of these groups download their named pack and BAMB you have the same stuff your watching.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
That kind of defeats the idea behind the server theme packs. The idea is you come as a viewer of one of these groups download their named pack and BAMB you have the same stuff your watching.
Well yes, I understand with Mindcrack and DW20. Mindcrack has the same mod setup and such (which is much more techy than DW20) and with Direwolf 20 you have access to his world via the launcher. But Yogscast doesn't give out their world (to my knowledge), so would it not be the same for them to just use lite or ultimate and not create another identical pack? You'd still be using the pack they're using, just not named after them. I mean, it's always nice to have another pack in the launcher to modify (seeing as how we can't add them in the launcher) but I don't see why they can't just use one of the existing packs. I mean, they didn't have a pack named after them in Tekkit. (Not sure if I'm going to be held for ransom by angry fanboys who think it's illegal to mention Tekkit or what)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

I think the #1 reason people want these packs is to play the game that they see their subscriptions play. Yogs could be a rebranding and it'd still be popular, I bet. I mean, we could make Direwolf20 about 5x more interesting with the addition of just a pair of mods, but what people want is what Direwolf20 plays.

Reactions: RetroGamer1224

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Also the Yogs aren't going to use a pack that is named something else. The YogCraft is nearly the same as their tekkit series so a lot of fans will be more comfortable with it. If they used Lite it may not have had everything for their fans. Plus since they didn't even use YogBox they needed, imo, a mod pack named after them. This way is makes their fans happy,

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
Talking about yogscast they are total noobs but sjin it's even hard to watch
I hope that is a misspelling. He is frustrating to watch because he doesn't know how anything works. He is going to crash their server one of these days. Yes, I'll admit, he is really good at designs, decoration, and making things look good. But he didn't even know that you get melon seeds from melon slices!! *deep breath* I wish he did his reasearch more.

mezomi

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20: This is the standard pack for people who despise Gregtech. It has Applied Entergistics and Mystcraft which make it the best no Gregtech pack.

Yogcraft: This pack isn't bad by any means, it is just inferior to the Direwolf20 pack. In my opinion, the only advantage it has over the Direwolf20 pack is Power Converters.

Mindcrack: By just taking one look at the mods, this stands out as the worst pack. Ultimate has all the mods it has and way more except Traincraft. I am aware that the Mindcrack guys play this pack, but, that doesn't make up for how bad this pack is.

Ultimate: Without hatred of Gregtech, this is easily the best pack. It has almost all of the mods the other packs have and a few more.

With bias Without bias
Direwolf20 Ultimate
Ultimate Direwolf20
Yogcraft Yogcraft
Mindcrack Mindcrack

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Its not confusing at all. You simply have to read the mod lists for each pack. I suppose if you're illiterate this becomes an issue.