direwolf20 1.6.4 Automatic LZH replenishment

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Initial_Sin

Jul 29, 2019
Sooo yeah. I've been playing around with IC2 reactors since forever and I'd like to think I'm pretty good with them but there's one thing I just can't figure out :/ and that is how to automatically repair the LZH-condensators with lapis/redstone. I've only been playing this modpack for a few days and I'm not really familiar with all the mods and what they can do yet. If anyone has experience with this or knows how I can automate this process, please do share some info :)

Thanks in advance

Oh and uhh... off topic but, every time it rains and I'm outside, lightning will ALWAYS strike me and ME only. Is that because I have maxed affinity towards lightning in ars magica 2?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
if i'm not mistaken AE's precision buses can check for NBT data or damage values. you can use them to export worn out condesators for repair, which include multi stage crafting process, and put them back. i'd strongly advice you to use a clock to shut reactor down during period of maintenance.

Initial_Sin

Jul 29, 2019
if i'm not mistaken AE's precision buses can check for NBT data or damage values. you can use them to export worn out condesators for repair, which include multi stage crafting process, and put them back. i'd strongly advice you to use a clock to shut reactor down during period of maintenance.
Ahh yes, I do have an AE system set up atm which I can use. Although what can I use to automatically craft a dead condensator with a piece of lapis? There doesn't seem to be an auto-crafting table in direwolf20 1.6.4. The only one I can think of is the giant multiblock AE thingy that auto-crafts on demand. As for the clock i have no idea how to use those XD I actually placed some overclocked heat vents into the reactor to temporarily dissipate some of the heat while the condensators are being replaced.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh yes, I do have an AE system set up atm which I can use. Although what can I use to automatically craft a dead condensator with a piece of lapis? There doesn't seem to be an auto-crafting table in direwolf20 1.6.4. The only one I can think of is the giant multiblock AE thingy that auto-crafts on demand. As for the clock i have no idea how to use those XD I actually placed some overclocked heat vents into the reactor to temporarily dissipate some of the heat while the condensators are being replaced.
there is auto workbench from BC and AE's MAC, which can autocraft if you've set an export bus to do so. so don't see the issue here.
for reactor control you can use 2 timers and 1 toggle latch from project read.

It's the fuzzy buses.
thanks for correction. can't remember everything :)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It bares repeating(and rightly so, as it's a big deal), the RZH and LZH are kinda crap. I mean, don't get me wrong, this is old news that was based off of energy output compared to how much UUM it costs to use the bloody thing, but the numbers were never very good. It also doesn't help that it takes time to fix the thing and time without one in there is dangerous unless it's shut down prior to it being removed and only turned back on when it's back, not to mention the shitty recipe for "fixing" it, as Lapis isn't able to fix it 100% but in fact fixes it more then 100% if you only use Lapis(naturally it caps at 100% making this inefficient).

Unless they have changed massively from their old use(a powerful cooling unit that can soak up X amount of heat before needing to be recharged), I'd install GT, configure it to play as nice as I can, just so I can have it's Vacuum Cooling machine and super powerful cooling units. Run the thing so they soak up X amount of heat before shutting down, send them to be cooled, insert cooled ones, repeat, just so I never have to use the bloody things.
~Oh and uhh... off topic but, every time it rains and I'm outside, lightning will ALWAYS strike me and ME only. Is that because I have maxed affinity towards lightning in ars magica 2?
And basically, yeah, Affinity in AM2 is a doubled edged sword. There are boons, there are busts. I guess you're lucky you're not 100% Ender, which has a slew of "issues" that endermen have(rain, sunlight, and water, hurt you for up to 4 HP) and the boon is poison resistance that never hits 100% and automatic night vision when you enter a dark area. Oooh, super useful considering I can't go swimming, go outside if it's daytime, or if it's raining, without taking 4 hearts worth of damage.

Arcane is insane, though. The benefit, I mean, it's kinda godly. First off, after a certain higher then normal affinity level, you get a discount on all spells you cast. Seriously useful. Once you are basically at max affinity(or was it max?) you get a chance to get a buff that makes your next spell totally free. The cost, mind you, is that you take damage beyond what you normally would when hit with magic.

Then there is Life, which, ugh, I don't care how much that endless regen would help, the drawback is pacifism. Breaking it makes ME sick, as the Nausea effect seems to be intended to make players not want to suffer that ever again, but it's hard not to since it's both a vanilla effect and a commonly used one in the modding world.

Over all I think plant players might have it both the best(free food effects above ground during the day! Extra seeds and saplings from things! Climb like a spider on some things!) and the worst(no sunlight is bad for you as you get hungry faster and plus you're slower to walk on most things(if not all) due to "roots your feet are growing and trying to use to grow with" sorta deal. You're basically... Uh... Swampman? No, not really that awesome, but still, some super hero out there that's basically a druid/tree.

These are all documented in your Arcane Compendium, by the way, so if you're at 100% Lightning legit, nicely done! I never could get affinity to increase very quick at all, sadly. But I also rarely get past blue skills, so.. yeah.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
If yo have AE couldn't you just use the MAC to craft the condensators? Set the precision bus to import at a certain level(you will need to have the item already damaged to this level), set precision export to 'craft only' with a recipe in the MAC? Or if you fear the MAC speed have a small chest with pre-charged condensators autocrafting into it so you get them swapped right away.
I have never played with condensators myself as I prefer to not irradiate myself, but AE does have some nice autocrafting that will hopefully fit the bill.

Initial_Sin

Jul 29, 2019
@Loufmier @Giddimani So that's what fuzzy ports are for, I always wondered what the difference between precision and fuzzy was XD Thanks! I suck with anything redstone related lol. I'll be relying on the overclocked heat vents and the heat capacity platings to cool the reactor while the condensators are being replaced.

@YX33A Meh. I never really liked GT haha XD ever since I first played around with it in FTB Ultimate I hated it. Pretty much quit as soon as I saw the recipe for a solar panel and quarry lol.

@hiroshi42 Yes, having a MAC would be perfect for this. Having 2 CPUs inside them should be quick enough hopefully. Although having a chest to store a few condensators would definitely decrease the chances of a meltdown.

Thanks to everyone for the help and info :)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
~@YX33A Meh. I never really liked GT haha XD ever since I first played around with it in FTB Ultimate I hated it. Pretty much quit as soon as I saw the recipe for a solar panel and quarry lol.
~
You must not have seen his amazing configs. Seriously, come from the IC2 endgame content, stay because he has great configs that allow you to disable anything he does you disagree with(if it's not hacky shit he said he won't do anymore).

Initial_Sin

Jul 29, 2019
There seems to be an issue guys. So this is what I've done so far. In my MAC are two patterns: a fully broken lzh crafted with one lapis repairing it to 40%, the second pattern is a 40% repaired lzh crafted with another lapis to repair it to 80%. On my reactor are a fuzzy import and a fuzzy export bus. The import bus pulls out fully broken lzh ONLY. While the fuzzy export is set to fill the gaps with 80% OR new lzh condensators. I let it run once to see if the whole thing works and the issue is that the export bus keeps putting in a 40% repair lzh (which i didnt even set it to export) and the import bus is pulling it out. This results in a 40% charged condesator flashing in and out of the reactor. I have no clue what's causing this.
Again the import bus only pulls fully broken LZH's (XXXXX:9999) and the export bus puts in only full or 80% full LZH's (XXXXX or XXXXX:1999)

Anyone know why that is? :/

EDIT: On the top left corner of the fuzzy import/export bus GUI, there's a button that changes damage values or whatever. I have it on default and says something like "split damage 99%" am I supposed to change that to something else?

Last edited:

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
There seems to be an issue guys. So this is what I've done so far. In my MAC are two patterns: a fully broken lzh crafted with one lapis repairing it to 40%, the second pattern is a 40% repaired lzh crafted with another lapis to repair it to 80%. On my reactor are a fuzzy import and a fuzzy export bus. The import bus pulls out fully broken lzh ONLY. While the fuzzy export is set to fill the gaps with 80% OR new lzh condensators. I let it run once to see if the whole thing works and the issue is that the export bus keeps putting in a 40% repair lzh (which i didnt even set it to export) and the import bus is pulling it out. This results in a 40% charged condesator flashing in and out of the reactor. I have no clue what's causing this.
Again the import bus only pulls fully broken LZH's (XXXXX:9999) and the export bus puts in only full or 80% full LZH's (XXXXX or XXXXX:1999)

Anyone know why that is? :/

EDIT: On the top left corner of the fuzzy import/export bus GUI, there's a button that changes damage values or whatever. I have it on default and says something like "split damage 99%" am I supposed to change that to something else?

i've re-created your setup and had same result. however if you set export bus to split 75% and import to 25% the setup works fine.
on the other had i was correct about precision buses - they transfer items according their exact damage value.so you can just use them. shouldn't have had let myself be wrongfully corrected >_>

there is also no point in having recipe for 40% lzh, because you can skip this stage by crafting broken lzh with 2 pieces of lapis.

Last edited:

Initial_Sin

Jul 29, 2019
i've re-created your setup and had same result. however if you set export bus to split 75% and import to 25% the setup works fine.
on the other had i was correct about precision buses - they transfer items according their exact damage value.so you can just use them. shouldn't have had let myself be wrongfully corrected >_>

there is also no point in having recipe for 40% lzh, because you can skip this stage by crafting broken lzh with 2 pieces of lapis.
ahh thats why. thanks! Although i'll have to build it a bit later, I tried a different setup and the reactor seemed to have.... Well it involves a giant crater :/

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
ahh thats why. thanks! Although i'll have to build it a bit later, I tried a different setup and the reactor seemed to have.... Well it involves a giant crater :/
even if all heat is absorbed by condensers reactor still blows up if 1 of following condition are not met:
1 you need to have reactor heat vents that dissipate heat after 1st condenser swap before second.
2 you need to have an auto shutdown system that shuts reactor down before condenser swap.
otherwise heat will build up eventually and reactor morphs into a crater.

Initial_Sin

Jul 29, 2019
even if all heat is absorbed by condensers reactor still blows up if 1 of following condition are not met:
1 you need to have reactor heat vents that dissipate heat after 1st condenser swap before second.
2 you need to have an auto shutdown system that shuts reactor down before condenser swap.
otherwise heat will build up eventually and reactor morphs into a crater.
Yeah I got OC heat vents to dissipate the heat after the condensators are swapped. As for the auto shutdown system, as I've mentioned I'm a total scrub with redstone. But I thought about (never tried) placing a structure pipe with an autarchic gate (or whichever detects inventories) and have it emit redstone signal when the inventory (reactor) is full, and stop emitting the signal when there is space in the reactor (condensators out). I've probably already asked too much but if you could just help me with one last thing and tell me how the 2 timers and a toggle latch works to control the reactor. Thanks a bunch for all the help so far!