[Direwolf20 1.12.x] Riddle78's Questions & Musings

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I don't like Actually Additions, so I don't use them, and thus don't bother to recommend them, since I don't know enough about them.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I don't like Actually Additions, so I don't use them, and thus don't bother to recommend them, since I don't know enough about them.

To each their own.

There are three tiers of energy laser, and due to the wireless nature of them, you can "hide" the lasers by making them invisible, or running them through your floor.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Aren't they nasty lossy though? I seem to remember that from people playing with them. Something like ten percent power loss for the top of the line ones?

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Yeah they are lossy, but pretty much everything aside from fluxducts and the Draconic Evolution system (with any decent throughput) has some loss. The higher tier Laser relays do have higher loss %wise than the lower ones, but iirc it's a set loss regardless of distance, not per hop.

Reactions: Cptqrk

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
Alright,after a period of not playing (A combination of Fallout 3,modded to the gills,and my two jobs at Domino's and manning the base's front gate),I've gotten back into the saddle. Apparently,I've been overthinking my Resource Engine. So,here's what I did,for anybody who wishes to crib notes. I eventually took to Reddit to ask for help,and got it.

-The Variable Store contains a Variable made from a Block Reader's "What am I looking at?" function,as well as a pair of Materialized Block Variables; One for Smoothstone,and one for Air.
-One Redstone Writer has an Operator Equals (==) in the Redstone Pulse field; It's "What am I looking at?" == "Smoothstone". This signal is sent directly to the Atomic Reconstructor.
-The other Redstone Writers have an Operator Does Not Equals (!=) in the Redstone Pulse field; The first is "What am I looking at?" != "Smoothstone",while the other is "What am I looking at?" != "Air".
-The latter two Redstone Writers lead into an RFTools Logic Gate; If it gets a Redstone signal from two of its three sides,it fires off a signal of its own for however long the conditions are met.
-The circuit that the Logic Gate feeds consists of eight Redstone Repeaters,set to a four tick delay,each,with two pieces of connective Redstone at the turns,connecting to the Mechanical Miner. This minimizes any stone the system collects; It still happens,but without this extended circuit,it'll pick up nothing BUT stone after a couple of ore grabs.
-The Mechanical Miner has a Silk Touch book in it.
-The ores are sent on their merry way to an Ender Chest,and thus sent to my processing/sorting system.
-The Resource Engine exists in quadruplicate.

I want to completely eliminate the stone scooping,so I'll eventually be replacing the Mechanical User and Mechanical Miner with Refined Storage equivalents,as they have Blacklist/Whitelist functions.

Also,since I use,exclusively,high voltage wires,I needed to use a Redstone Breaker. However,I use a Circuit Breaker for its Redstone emission function in order to cycle the Redstone Breaker. Dunno why,but it's oddly satisfying to throw that switch. That solved my whole power issue.

Gneep-z~!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
Next stop; Mob grinding. I've produced what I like to call the Helvault. It's a tower,with one room per floor. They alternate between targeted grinding,and Essence grinding. Obviously,they're paired. With construction aided by my Angel Ring,which I made a point to get after finally getting my Resource Engine working properly,it's pretty easy. Currently,I'm grinding Endermen (Storing all drops),Wither Skeletons (Voiding swords),and working on expanding this to the Four Elementals; Blazes,Blitzes,Basalzes,and Blizzes; I plan on keeping all of their drops. However,there is ONE mob I'd like to grind,but it would NEVER be able to fit in my Helvault.

The Ghast.

An excellent source of Gunpowder,and the sole supplier of Ghast Tears. I have a Ghast in a Mob Imprisonment Tool; I grabbed one while hunting for a Ghast for my Angel Ring. If at all possible,I want the Ghasts to be slain by a Mob Masher; I can upgrade them to provide a HUGE payout,which the Mob Crusher cannot claim. How much free space am I going to need around the Mob Duplicator to ensure that Ghasts spawn? And what would be better to move them into the Masher's embrace; Vector Plates,or Fans?

Oh,and finally; I need an off switch for my Resource Engine. My sorting system can BARELY keep up with all the input it's getting from the Resource Engine and my Withers and Endermen; Adding five more mobs to the mix will see it overflowing,if I don't upgrade my throughput (Refined Storage,for that!),or implement controls for my input. The Helvault is enjoying full control,though,thanks to Thermal Expansion's Redstone Relay. I've tried using Pistons to elevate something to break the Redstone circuit for the Resource Engine,but that just drops the Redstone element in question. Any ideas?

Also,when I complete my Helvault,you can bet your bottom Emerald that I'll be posting pics. It looks nice... Provided you don't look at the Northern face. That's where all the machinery is.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmm... if you can manage it, given the lighting update issues, Twilight forest has Ur-ghasts, which are very small ghasts that also drop the Tears. They're in either the third or fourth area though, so you need to kill a Naga and a Lich for sure. I'm pretty sure the Hydra is the third monster and then you get access to the tower they're in. Alternately Morbs. Mob capturing orbs from Thermal Expansion that can turn into the various drops when processed.

Tombe0

Jul 29, 2019
My mob spawner is a 9x9x7 (7x7x5 internal) and it's large enough to spawn a Ghast, they're 1 block in the floor but that's just a bonus: They can't move :p

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
Unrelated note; Because of my Resource Engine,I'm sitting on an absolutely RIDICULOUS amount of Uranium. How can I use that,outside of doing my best General Tsing Shi Tao (Of Zero Hour fame) impression?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
For your shutoff switch on the Resource Engine, doesn't Immersive Engineering have a Redstone Breaker? It would look like an old school power main switch. I know they have one for power, and I think (may be dreaming) there is a redstone option as well.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
For your shutoff switch on the Resource Engine, doesn't Immersive Engineering have a Redstone Breaker? It would look like an old school power main switch. I know they have one for power, and I think (may be dreaming) there is a redstone option as well.
The redstone one doesn't look like the frankenstein-esque power switch - this image has both in, for comparison:

2016-12-02_20.14.13.png

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your question - did you mean one that breaks redstone signal?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh, I misunderstood what it did, apparently. I was thinking the Redstone Breaker was a flip switch (like the power breaker) would shut off redstone signal, much like a cooler Vanilla lever.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
I'm aware of the IE Breakers; I use both of them to reset my entire energy infrastructure every time I log in. Gneep-z~! Thing is,the system exists almost entirely on the horizontal plane; There's nearly no room for conventional Redstone control. What I've done,after considering your suggestions,is use Structuralducts and Redstone Relays to deliver a Redstone signal from underground to the Mechanical Placers,now set to "Redstone Off" mode. They work when the signal equals zero. Otherwise,they run. The switch is attached to a two metre high pillar,with handy-dandy duct covers concealing the ductwork.

However,I have a new,potentially game-breaking problem.

Last night,I had a nice Helvault,and a sorting system properly dosed to handle my planned drops. All of the building work I did last night is gone. If it exists in block format in-world,even tangentially,it no longer exists. The drawers I stuck mob drops in preemptively for sorting purposes? Empty. My hundreds of Wither Skulls,thousands of Bones? Gone. My Helvault? Ceased to exist. Further,last night,I noticed that my Mining World portal (Mining World side only) was "Standard" sized,rather than my usual three wide,seven tall opening,with the Celtic Granite path leading from it missing. Now,my portal and path are back to how they're supposed to be,somehow,but my Helvault? Gone. What caused this,and how can I keep it from happening again?

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
Alright! Managed to keep my second crack at the Helvault. I have no idea why I lost the first one like that. Also,my new Helvault is complete... I think. The current inhabitants are...

-Endermen. I keep all of their drops; Ender Pearls,Dimlet Packs,and Solidified Experience.
-Wither Skeletons. I keep everything except their Swords.
-Blazes. I keep all of their drops.
-Blizzes. I keep all of their drops.
-Blitzes. I keep all of their drops.
-Basalzes. I keep all of their drops.
-Ghasts. This one's experimental. The room is 9*9*5,with a pillar,containing the Mob Duplicator,in the middle. Let's see if it works as I hope. I keep all of their drops.

What else do you guys think I should farm in the Helvault? No bosses,though. The Wither will need a specialized containment method,and the Gaia Guardian is impossible to actually farm passively,as far as I know. Also,each of the above chambers has a Cursed Earth Darkroom above it,supplying Liquid Essence to the Mob Duplicator immediately below. Each and every room has a lever; The Darkroom levers turn on the lights,while the Cells levers turn off the Mob Duplicator. I'll have screenshots for you all down at the bottom of the post.

Anyways,I've discovered why the Resource Engine system's picking up Smoothstone. Despite the throughput of IE HV Wire Connectors,it's not enough energy to run the Atomic Reconstructors with Lenses of the Miner. When the Reconstructor is told to fire off without the requisite energy,it still fires off,but does nothing. I need a way to increase power throughput. Since I now have a means of farming Blizzes (That Blizz for the Helvault was a PAIN IN THE NECK to find!),I can now start making legitimate Cryo-Stabilized Fluxducts,but the problem is getting the RF to them to begin with. Any ideas for a high-throughput option to do that?

Captions for each image will be below the image in question.
hYpM5jL.png

Here's a view of the construct from below. The grey blocks are Basalt,the majority of it being Weathered Bricks,though I do have a band of Encased Bricks at every floor; Cells have it at ankle level,while Darkrooms have it at floor level. The blue blocks are Factory Blocks,chiselled into Blue Circuit texture,with the final visible block type here being the ME Controller variant of the Futura Block.

IicO1NG.png

Here's a view into one of the Cells,this one for Wither Skeletons. That central pillar contains a Mob Duplicator in the middle,with ME Controller Futura Blocks on top,with Covers of the same down below; A Signalum-Plated Fluiduct feeds the Duplicator,and a Redstone Relay is also there. The Lever that controls this is to my right. The floor is covered in Vector Plates,and that device to the right in there is a Mob Masher,loaded up with ten of each for the following; Sharpness,Luck,Smite,and Beheading. Gotta get those drops! The doorway is made of Obsidian; Large Pillars form the sides,with Shiny Panels capping them,and normal Panels across the top. The 3*3 opening is covered by Dark Ineffable Glass. The beautiful floor that's covered up by the necessary Vector Plates is four quadrants of Primal Voidstone,the Dent texture,with the quadrants defined by a cross of Blue Circuit Factory Blocks. Every single Cell is built like this,except for the Enderman Cell,below. Because Endermen have 40 HP,and the Mob Masher cannot deal 40 HP in a single blow,I was forced to use a Mob Crusher,instead. As a direct result,there are only a few Vector Plates around the periphery of the Enderman Cell.

amLwFyg.png

Here's a Darkroom,with a floor made of Cursed Soil. Lights on,of course. The Enderman Cell has the Vector Plates placed exactly like the Darkrooms. As you can see,Vanilla Redstone Lamps provide controllable illumination for the Darkrooms. Each Darkroom is placed above a Cell. Darkrooms have a singular purpose; The production of Liquid Essence for the Cell below. Any items dropped by the mobs that spawn in these rooms are voided,with the Liquid Essence pumped out and below. Each such system has a reservoir in the form of three Reinforced Portable Tanks between the Mob Crusher and the Mob Duplicator,just in case. However,testing has demonstrated that one Mob Duplicator burns Essence faster than one such Darkroom can produce. Which is fine by me. The Lever which controls the lighting is,once again,to my right.

F7oThRL.png

Here's a view of the technical side of the Helvault. The Ender Chests are all the same channel,with an Ender Hopper mounted to the side to collect drops through the wall. By pure chance,they cannot reach into the surrounding Darkrooms,which is nice. As you can see,I'm using Immersive Engineering's High Voltage energy infrastructure for this build; I'll never have all of the chambers going at once,as I don't have the item throughput to make it happen,so I don't need to worry about runaway power consumption. However,when I step away from the Helvault,or even just travel up to a higher floor,mobs will naturally spawn within the Cells,and will then be killed. These mobs almost always have undesirable drops,so I rigged up an ad-hoc disposal system that can expand for as many Ender Chests I have on the Helvault. I locate the items that I don't want that exist within the chests,then stick them into a Whitelist filter on these Enderium Servos. After that,they punt the items into the Trash Cans. Good riddance. Oh,and the red spots you see are Redstone Blocks,chiselled into the Twisted texture. This is so the Mob Mashers can run,and I don't plan on turning them off. They ARE exceptionally dangerous though,as Direwolf can attest to. However,a player without speed buffs can sprint fast enough to travel against green Vector Plates,so I'm relatively safe if I ever need to go into a Cell in order to kill a couple Baby Zombies and/or their Chicken steeds.

qNtquNQ.png

Suffer not the Alien,the Mutant,the Heretic. The Inquisition is watchful. Praise be to the God-Emperor of Mankind,and be ever-fearful of His Holy Inquisition.

+++THOUGHT OF THE DAY: An open mind is like a fortress,its gates unbarred and unguarded.+++​

Warhammer 40k jokes aside,this started as a simple circuit map for my Darkroom lighting controls. However,it looks like a SPANKIN' sigil,so I've decided to adopt it as my personal icon for this world. Looks pretty spiffy,don't you think? Also,down below,you can see my Biodiesel factory,and beside that,my machine house,where the lion's share of my machines are.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I usually have a Witch spawner. Passive generation of Redstone and Glowstone (sticks and potions are optional saves) saves me from having to run for supplies during extended crafting sessions.