[Direwolf20 1.12.x] Riddle78's Questions & Musings

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
...Alright,what the sod happened to Environmental Tech's manual? Further,even the lowest levelled objects from Environmental Tech seem to require materials that can only be obtained via an Environmental Tech device! I have absolutely zero idea where to even begin with Environmental Tech,now,thanks to this chicanery.
The book isn't out for 1.12 yet. You need to make Litherite I think which is flint, diamonds and green dye?

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
The book isn't out for 1.12 yet. You need to make Litherite I think which is flint, diamonds and green dye?

You'd imagine that one of the first things you prepare for a major update is an updated manual... Assuming the mod author made notes and a design document for themselves beforehand.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You should know the rules about assumptions.

Hardened stone is usually the most basic option and should have a recipe if it's possible to obtain.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
Alabaster,Basalt,and Hardened Stone no longer exist in Environmental Tech. I guess the author went for a total rebuild of the mod.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah, I see. I haven't gotten into it in 1.12, so I assumed it was like Beyond where you had to craft everything.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
Good effing Lord,Nickel's obscenely rare. I went down to Y14 in the Mining World,according to Journey Map,which records where your feet are. According to JEI,Y15 is where Nickel's the most frequent in the Mining World. By the time I got a single stack of the stuff,I had multiple stacks of Redstone,Lapis (!!!),Coal,Iron,and Silver.

Urgh. I can't wait to get Project: Singularity off the ground.

Also,thanks to having Luck III on my pick,I needed to devote an entire "Small" Storage Crate to the drops from Fortune-able ores.

So,these Advanced Generators you suggest I use,Triaxx,can they perhaps accept Coal or Coke as fuel? Because I need a temporary fuel source until I can get the Steel I need to make the Biodiesel machines.

EDIT: I did a mock-up in a test world,and I've found that 50 Manyullyn Turbines in an Advanced Gas Generator produces 25k RF/t... Its maximum. I have reason to believe that Biodiesel can produce yet MORE RF/t in an Advanced Generator,if only the system could accept more Turbines. It also demands 46 mB/t of Biodiesel to run constantly. What would the output be from a Refinery being fed by one Fermenter and one Squeezer?

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Advanced Generators can, accept coal, but requires you to build a Syngas generator, then use the Syngas as a fuel. However, they'll also take in pure steam, as well as all varieties of Canola, and Forestry Biofuel.

I'm not sure the exact numbers, but a single refinery should be able to keep up. Note that if you've got 33 blocks the same as it takes to build a Diesel Generator, you're making 16500RF/t from Many Turbines. So once it's started, you'll be able to run multiple fueling setups.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Sword - Sword of Akasha
-Tool Class:
Rapier. Penetrates armour,swings mad fast,though it's more fragile than any other dedicated melee weapon.
-Handle: Bone. Decent durability multiplier,and an excellent Modifier that synergizes well with the Rapier.
-Guard: Electrum. Electrum makes for an awful handle,so I made a guard out of it; The Electrifying bonus makes for a powerful alpha strike.
-Blade: Manyullyn. The highest base damage I can think of,as well as the Insatiable Modifier; I believe it stacks with Splintering,so synergy for the Rapier.
-Modifiers: None,at present. I'd like input.
-Embossment: None,at present. Again,I'd like input.

Bow - Redeemer
-Tool Class:
Longbow. For a ranged weapon,I want to deal as much damage as I can,at a reasonable clip. This does that.
-Upper Limb: Electrum. While Shocking is nice,I chose Electrum for the excellent mean it offers between draw time and damage.
-Plate: Cobalt. Draw time,plain and simple.
-Lower Limb: See upper limb.
-String: Spidersilk. I have an abundance of the stuff,thanks to the mineshafts that define the Mesa biome. Provides no modifiers.
-Modifiers: Haster (61/100). I have one modifier slot left; More Redstone? Or something else? Current draw time is sitting at 0.81 seconds.
-Embossment: None,at the moment. Feedback is appreciated.

Arrows - Arrows of Light
-Tool Class:
Arrow. The Redeemer needs ammo!
-Head: Manyullyn. Doubled damage on full-health targets,and if that's not enough to put them down,Insatiable will ramp up damage until it does.
-Shaft: Wood. Basic,but useful. Very,VERY slow regeneration,but that's not the focus. I plan on eventually switching to End Rods!
-Fletching:
Feathers. Perfect accuracy's pretty nice.
-Modifiers: None. I'd like feedback,though; Would going full Quartz be a good idea?
-Embossment: Here's where things get squirrelley. I COULD simply switch my shafts with End Rods... But would it be better to Emboss them with End Rods,instead? Or maybe something else?

Pickaxe - First Draft Pick
-Tool Class:
Pickaxe. Every Minecraftian needs one.
-Head: Bronze. I've yet to actually swap parts out on this thing,though,besides Knightslime,Bronze is the best you can get for Overworld pick heads. Further,the Dense Modifier is an excellent thing to have on a tool that sees so much use.
-Handle: Bronze. It's what I had a lot of,when I made it. Besides Gold. Further,it's an AMAZING handle material. Dunno if Dense stacks with itself,though.
-Copper: I did have a Tin crunch when I made this thing,further,I wanted to gain some noncombat experience. Hence,Copper,and the Well-Established Modifier.
-Modifiers: Luck (36/60). If the Luck Modifier's behaviour didn't change overmuch,then that means that manually digging up certain ores with maxed out Luck will offer a greater payout compared to Pulverization. Two modifiers left; More Luck? Or something else?
-Embossment: Nothing,yet. Feedback,however,is appreciated.

Tunnel Bore - Dwarven Atom Smasher
-Tool Class:
Hammer. 3*3 tunnels are amazing,and you know it.
-Head: Ardite. The Stonebound Modifier's going to outperform Cobalt's Lightweight,in this instance. You'll see why.
-Plate One: Obsidian. Duritae is like Reinforced III from Old TCon. Not gonna say no to that. Further,this makes repairing the tool a lot easier,since I can make lava and water ex nihilo with the help of Thermal Expansion.
-Plate Two: Bronze. Dense is amazing. As the tool gets more and more worn out,it'll be less and less likely to actually take damage when used. Combine that with the two above Modifiers,and you can see why this'll be faster than something made of Cobalt. Also,once again,easier to repair with than Ardite.
-Handle: Ardite. Pteramour. What's a hammer used for? Digging tunnels. What's that produce a lot of? Rock. Pteramour eats some rock as you collect it to patch up the tool. Under normal circumstances,however,it's not enough to outpace wear and tear. These aren't normal circumstances.
-Modifiers: Diamond and Silky Jewel. One Modifier remaining. With the improved durability,I get more opportunities for Dense and Duriate to kick in,for Pteramour to keep the hammer's durability in stasis at a low value,which means the hammer keeps outpacing the Cobalt hammer. Forever. For that last Modifier,I'm open to suggestions.
-Embossment: Nothing,as of yet. Suggestions?

Landscaper - Dirt's Bane
-Tool Class:
Excavator. I initially made it to deal with gravel cave-ins,but landscaping's landscaping.
-Head: Knightslime. It's literally the best thing to have for a shovel or axe.
-Plate: Obsidian. Let's cheat on some more durability,shall we?
-Handle: Bronze. This thing sees a lot of work. Cheating on more durability's a godsend.
-Binding: Knightslime. Crumbling + Unnatural = Dirt,Sand,and Gravel go away.
-Modifiers: None. I don't think it needs Redstone,either. Suggestions?
Embossment: None,thus far. Any suggestions?

Paul Bunyan - Treecapitator
This sucker's built identically to Dirt's Bane,so I don't need to break it down for you.

Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker - Vorpal Blade
Tool Class:
Cleaver. Wither Skulls have always been a problem for me to gather. This stacks the odds in my favour.
-Blade: Manyullyn. Base damage.
-Plate: Silver. Because the primary target is Wither Skeletons,the bonus damage is good.
-Guard: Paper. Slipping on another Modifier's excellent.
-Handle: Bronze. Honestly,this one's a cop-out. Maybe I should switch this with Magical Wood for the three extra mods?
-Modifiers: Beheading VI. That's a 60% chance to lob off the victim's head. No modifiers left. Feedback?
-Embossment: None. Should I? If so,what?

Wither's Bane - Hammer of Dawn

Tool Class: Hammer.
-Head: Silver. Extra damage to the Undead!
-Plate One: Paper. An extra mod's gonna be handy.
-Plate Two: Silver. Does Holy stack upon itself?
-Handle: Magical Wood. Three extra mods,though the "Chance to break at any time" bit is worrisome.
Modifiers: Smite V and Sharper. 12.01 base damage,with +3 to Undead from Holy,and +35 to Undead from Smite V. To an Undead target,that's a total of 50.01 damage,before armour. If I recall,the Hammer also has an unlisted damage bonus to the Undead,as well.
-Embossment: None,as of yet. Ideas?
I'm going to preface this with alot of tinkers stuff being somewhat subjective, especially post 1.8 mc.

If you ever use Wood as a handle or bow limb/arrow shaft, consider using Treated Wood if availble to you (I had to do some configing to get these to show up, some conflict with the thermal mod's integration i think) It's essentially wood with a slight durability boost for anything other than the head. (As an aside for making lava it might be an idea to look into Actually Additons method of making lava, which i believe can be made a net positive in RF.)
For the Excavator and Lumber Axe, if you don't really need extra speed the only thing that might come in handy are reinforcement modifiers. But they really should be fine as is (honestly even when i have my Lumber Axe i use it sparingly enough that Wood's Ecological Trait tends to outpace the damage i do to it, it's the same with my pick once i have my hammer.) For your mining hammer, all that really can be added that's beneficial is an emerald or reinforcement modifiers if you need more durability, or redstone to get it mining faster. (how fast is fast enough is always subject to opinion)

For most embossements embossing a paper part that's not already in the head/elsewhere gets you an extra modifier. Otherwise, look at traits that might be useful for your tool, such as cobalt's lightweight for your bow, or an ardite head for your mining hammer if it's staying reasonably steady at low durability.

I'm fairly sure that Bronze's Dense doesn't double dip, so you may want to consider another material for either the head or the handle. Personally i use (Treated) Wood for my pickaxe's handle (or binding if i use a metal rod) due to my generally low usage of my pickaxe once i got my Hammer. Bronze, Steel, Knightslime and Manylium are my goto mateials for pickaxe heads as their speed is not too slow, not too fast, but just right. If I can get Knightslime i use it, otherwise i use one of the others depending on how much durability i need (although if i don't use a Bronze head, it's generally the binding/rod, you aren't the only one who loves Dense) Luck builds up itself over usage and is always a single modifier. Speed is the main thing you'd want on a bow, but you could put a knockback modifer on it so in a pinch you can knock mobs away with you with a bow-punch. I don't know if Luck works on Bows off top of head.

As for the Rapier, I personally prefer Broadswords and Longswords, but sharpening a rapier isn't quite as effective.

Also,does anybody know of a reliable way to get Rich Slag? It's needed for Rich Phyto Gro,which is the lowest tier of the stuff that guarantees saplings. Further,can a Cooking For Blockheads kitchen be automated?
You can also fill normal Phyto Grow with Sap (from Oaks or most non-resin producing trees via resin funnel sawmills or arboreal extractors) using a fluid transposer to get rich phyto grow. (Unless that's changed since 1.10, but i doubt that)

Hoping this helps a bit.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm interested in your configing to make IE materials available again. I made a custom pack and don't have Treated Wood as an option. (Or at least not one which shows in the book.)

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
All i did was disable Thermal's Tinker integration. Did mean that I no longer could make Invar via the smeltry (didn't try electrum) so, I'm considering flipping it back on. Honestly the gain is pretty small unless you really want constantin. Might try fiddling a bit more with it later though XD. (it's only in the region of around 30 durabilty, and i didn't look see if it keeps electrum)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm more interested in Treated Wood, but if it's an either/or I'll stick with Thermal. I'm playing with Moar Tinkers, which adds a bunch of other stuff to the list so I'm not totally bothered by the lack of Ecological II.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Treated Wood Ecological don't stack with normal Wood's Ecological. The only thing that is lost though is the ability to alloy invar in the smeltry and casting invar or electrum gears. (possibly using pyrothium as fuel if that's in)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Understood, but last time I read a guide with it in, they were listed as two separate abilities. (Must have been unique to 1.10), in any case, I tried, and it's not worth the downsides.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
if you need Nickel you should be Pulverizing Iron Ore you have a chance to get Nickel as a secondary result

The problem is that I'm gathering materials before I begin any machine building. At present,I don't have a single machine that isn't a Smeltery. Besides,I'm not a very lucky man,and Nickel Dust is only a 10% shot; In my previous world,I pulverized TEN STACKS of Iron Ore,and only got fourteen Nickel Dust.

No,I adamantly refuse to roll those particular knucklebones. They're loaded,and not how I like.

Also,I may or may not have gotten my mitts on enough Cobalt and Ardite Ore to make 550 ingots of Manyullyn via the Smeltery... Because that's how many I'll need to make 50 Manyullyn Turbines.

TCon snip.

You can also fill normal Phyto Grow with Sap (from Oaks or most non-resin producing trees via resin funnel sawmills or arboreal extractors) using a fluid transposer to get rich phyto grow. (Unless that's changed since 1.10, but i doubt that)

Hoping this helps a bit.

You're right; I just took a peek at the Team COFH site. Half a bucket of Sap,plus a pile of basic Phyto-Gro and 2k RF = Rich Phyto-Gro. Cheap and easy. I could probably set up an automated process for making Fluxed Phyto-Gro,and feed that to Garden Cloches. Problem is,I'll need to find a reliable means of getting Niter. With my luck,that means I'll have to obtain a Resturbed Spawner (Easy stuff; I have multiple Drops of Evil),make a Spawner Changer (WHY ARE MINESHAFTS SO COMMON!?),and steal a Blitz's soul so I can make a mob grinder out of it. As for basic Slag,I've learned that Induction Smelting Cobblestone is guaranteed to produce it,so... The only problem for Phyto-Gro production is the Niter.

That automated process would look something like this...

1a) Two Igneous Extruders produce Cobblestone. One sends its output into a Pulverizer,which feeds sand into an Induction Smelter,while voiding any Gravel it produces. The other Extruder puts its Cobblestone straight into the Induction Furnace. When there's a 1:2 ratio of Sand:Cobblestone,it'll run,producing a pair of Stone Bricks and some Slag. The Stone Bricks are voided,while the Slag moves on.

1b) A mob grinder producing Blitzes,and only Blitzes,kills the evil devils and collects their drops. Niter is sent directly to where the Slag's gone to. Blitz Rods are sent to a Pulverizer,with the Niter sent on. Any Blitz Powder that this system produces is sent to storage,then further excess is voided.

1c) A Phytogenic Insolator,loaded with the best Phyto-Gro I have,grows trees. Probably Oak,because it's common and manageable. All logs are sent to the fastest smelting option I have,and the resultant Charcoal is Pulverized. The Charcoal Dust is sent on to the next system. Any excess saplings (Assuming a >100% sapling rate) are stored,then further excess is voided.

2) An automated crafting solution takes the Niter,Charcoal Dust,and Slag to make Phyto-Gro. From there,it's stuck into a Fluid Transposer,being fed by Arboreal Extractors pulling Sap from as many Oak Trees as needed. The resultant Rich Phyto-Gro is then stuck in an Energetic Infuser,with the Fluxed Phyto-Gro sent to bulk storage. Any excess is voided. From bulk storage,it's either routed to where it's needed,or I'll just stick it in devices that needs it,by hand. Knowing me,it'll be routed from a central bulk storage to remote bulk storage near where it's needed,then routed out to the devices in need of the Phyto-Gro.

The system has intentional bottlenecks,both to simplify production,and to prevent any potential system-halting backups. If one line is insufficient to meet Phyto-Gro demand,I'll first install parallel processing devices to handle any materials in the bottlenecks,escalating to duplicate production lines if that also proves insufficient.

My non-tree farming will be handled by Immersive Engineering,because Garden Cloches be sexy. Trees will be farmed via Phytogenic Insolators.

Advanced Generators can, accept coal, but requires you to build a Syngas generator, then use the Syngas as a fuel. However, they'll also take in pure steam, as well as all varieties of Canola, and Forestry Biofuel.

I'm not sure the exact numbers, but a single refinery should be able to keep up. Note that if you've got 33 blocks the same as it takes to build a Diesel Generator, you're making 16500RF/t from Many Turbines. So once it's started, you'll be able to run multiple fueling setups.

Syngas it is. Also,as I've noted above,I've gone and made 50 Manyullyn Turbines. Graduating's for sane people. The generator's a 3*3*50 shaft in the basement of a building I've made to house the machines I plan to use directly. I already have a Fuel/Air Mixer (Which,in reality,is a thermobaric bomb waiting to happen) stuck on the thing,as well as the requisite I/O for fluid/gaseous fuel and RF,as well as a 1mRF capacitor in it. For the sake of sanity,I cheated myself in a few Cryo-Stabilized Fluxducts,which exist solely to transfer into where I plan on building my Capacitor Pillar; It'll go from this basement,all the way out to the roof,which is where the output will be. It'll just be a pillar of Thermal Expansion Capacitors,upgraded as I get the resources to do it.

I'm gonna need an Enderman farm,because the amount of Resonane Ender I need for the other efficiency upgrade is BANANAS.

Hopefully,I have enough resources to last me until I can produce Biodiesel,and get Project: Singularity off the ground.

EDIT: For the sake of aesthetics,what sort of block do you think I should use to fill in the empty space of the generator? Preferably something which matches the colour of the generator's blocks,or comes really close to it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Industrial Foregoing's Material StoneWorks can be configured to produce just sand without the need to seperately pulverize it and thus manually setup secondary voiding. Alternately one of the TE upgrades auto-nullifies secondaries.

I always liked Steel Blocks from IE because they matched the Advanced Gen textures well. Of course that's kind of hilariously expensive for decoration, even you're using Chisel&Bits.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
Son,I'm sitting on an absolutely ludicrous volume of resources; Even with a /dank/null sucking up all of the non-ores I dug up,my inventory was literally FILLED with ores from my Nickel hunt. Further,the generator only shares a wall with a 3*3 portion of the basement's wall.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
An update; I went with Blocks of Quartz Enriched Iron for my "decorative casing" on my generator. Further,I threw in another 1mRF capacitor,so the Advanced Generator holds 2mRF,now. Combined with my eleven Reinforced Energy Cells,I now have a total of two hundred billion RF. Yes. Billion. With a B. If I ever run an energy deficit,I should be good for a LONG while,until I can get more production going.

Oh,and this storage is filling. Quickly. I got my Biodiesel up and running; I only had to sacrifice eight stacks of Coal to Syngas production. Next stop; Project: Singularity.

I plan on bumping my eleven Energy Cells to Resonant,eventually. Why? Because THE SPICE JUICE MUST FLOW!

KingTriaxx,I love you for your suggestion. While Seed Oil production can't keep up with Biodiesel production,it doesn't have to. I'm still getting a net positive in energy.

So,I'll be jumping headlong into Actually Additions,now,so I can make a couple Lenses of the Miner for a few Atomic Reconstructors,so I can turn Smoothstone into prectious,precious mineral ores! And this is the point where I'll be needing to edumacate myself,or get edumacated by you,in how,precisely,to tell block breakers to only dig up mineral ores. Hopefully,it'll be as simple as getting a device that says "If Smoothstone,do nothing. Else,Redstone pulse.",or something along those lines.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
There is a block from RFTools that can do that, or you can use integrated dynamic to test it. I can't remeber the RFTool's block's name, I think it's called Sensor or something similar.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Timer>Piston. Redstone signal, place block, jump to Reconstructor, jump to piston, Block Breaker runs constantly. As long as everything is fired in proper sequence it will push the newly created block into place and retract to start the cycle again. I used a setup like that for automating Livingwood and Livingrock. Much easier than trying to timer the breakers.