[Direwolf20 1.12.x] Riddle78's Questions & Musings

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Make a one-block pit surrounded on five sides (everywhere but the top) by nether brick and fill it with lava. Throw some gold in, get demon metal out. People say there's a chance the gold gets destroyed, but that never happened to me so far. I used whole stacks. Yes, you don't have to be in the Nether to make demon metal. You just need a lava pit in a nether brick floor.
As a point of note, if you want to automate it I believe Dire found that you had to put at least one air block between the lava and whatever dropper you use, possibly two. But from what I've seen its entirely automatable with something like an open crate or automatic precision dropper, and a ranged collector filtered for demon metal ingots :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
A question,relating to the Biodiesel Generator; I plan on using Melons to automate it. I know it can be done,as both Melons and Melon Seeds can be used to produce Ethanol and Plant Oil,respectively. I won't be using fertilizer for my Garden Cloches. Per one generator,how many Industrial Fermenters,Industrial Squeezers,and Garden Cloches of Melons do I need to turn my Biodiesel Generators into fire-and-forget machines?
You'll need one Fermenter, one Industrial Squeezer and one Refinery for every two Diesel generators. You'll need three cloches with melons (use a compacting drawer to convert to melon slices) and 6-7 with industrial hemp in order to give the Fermenter and Squeezer enough materials for continuous operation. This is at regular speed. Double the cloches if their speed is nerfed.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
As a point of note, if you want to automate it I believe Dire found that you had to put at least one air block between the lava and whatever dropper you use, possibly two. But from what I've seen its entirely automatable with something like an open crate or automatic precision dropper, and a ranged collector filtered for demon metal ingots :)
It is? I found the gold vanishes if dropped by a dropper. Maybe the distance was the problem. I'll try again. Thanks.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It is? I found the gold vanishes if dropped by a dropper. Maybe the distance was the problem. I'll try again. Thanks.
Let me know how you get on - I'm pretty confident, but I don't want to be giving bad advice if it turns out I wasn't correct!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Dire had the same problem... I think the automatic precision dropper from AA worked though. Whatever you use has to pretend it's a player and the vanilla dropper doesn't.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
So,to confirm; Three Melon Cloches per one Squeezer,one Fermenter,and two Generators,assuming that the Cloches didn't eat a 50% speed nerf? I have six Melon Cloches set up,though I've found that Melons in Cloches produce whole Melons (Good),but no seeds (Bad),and I was planning on using those seeds. Other plants I'm farming...

-Soy. Soy becomes Tofu; I've set up the Pressers to void the produced Soy Milk and Grain Bait; I don't need it. Tofu becomes the stand-in for Beef in the Beef Wellington. Seeds and Tofu are stored in silos.
-Spinach: Need it for Beef Wellington. Seeds and leaves are stored in silos.
-Wheat: Need it for Beef Wellington. Seeds and grains are stored in silos.
-Red Mushrooms: It's what I had,and needed for both Beef Wellington and Earth Runes. Two silos are dedicated to Mushroom storage.
-Peppercorn Trees: Provided via Phytogenic Insolator. I've found out that Rich Phyto Gro is needed to guarantee saplings for vanilla trees,while regular Phyto Gro works for Pam's trees. Saplings are recycled in an infinite loop,while the Peppercorns are sent to a silo. Needed for Beef Wellington.
-Walnut Trees: Phytogenic Insolator. Saplings are recycled in an infinite loop,while the Walnuts are sent to a silo. Needed for Beef Wellington.
-Melons*6: Fuel for my Biodiesel Generators. Strangely,none of them produce seeds,only whole Melons. Stored in a silo,with a silo earmarked for seeds that will never come.
-Cactus: I figured that Cactus can be handy in certain ways. If nothing else,I can use it for Runes. Stored in a silo.
-Sugar Cane: Sugar sees plenty of use in many things,as do the canes,and the paper... A staple crop,all told. Stored in a silo.
-Flax: String! Unexpectedly handy. While I might have a near-limitless supply of the stuff underground,thanks to my Overworld base location,having a Cloche vomiting the stuff out is much more convenient. Stored in a silo,with the seeds stored in another.
-Hemp: Hemp is not string,which I knew from the outset. Further,I know it's needed for several IE recipes. Hence,the one Cloche of it. I might make more,to support Biodiesel production,however. How many will I need,if we're using the same numbers as above? Fibres stored in a silo,with seeds stored in another.

-Total Hardware: Two Aqueous Accumulators,fifteen Garden Cloches,two Hardened Phytogenic Insolators with the Sapling Infuser augment,three "Small" Storage Crates,two Pressers,two Hoppers,eleven Item Routers,eleven Trash Cans,twenty Silos arranged in pairs,Conveyor Belts,Fluiducts,and Itemducts with Filters and Servos beyond counting. All IE connections are LV.

Two Aqueous Accumulators (Five source blocks each) are feeding water into the system; The second one's for safety's sake,as one of them is connected to four Compression Dynamos and a Phytogenic Insolator in the base that's set to produce lumber for my use. Once the crops finish growing,the output is spat out onto Conveyor Belts that take the items to their new homes in the silos,using IE Item Routers to make sure things go to where they should,including diverting the Soybeans to the Pressers. In the event that the silos fill up completely,the conveyors lead to an ExU2 Trash Can,one per pair of silos.

All-in-all,it looks like something out of The Pitt. Though,with less apocalyptic ruin and man-mauling monsters.

Anything else you guys think I should farm? That said,I'll need to add a few more water wheels; Five triple wheels are needed for the current setup. That said,I refuse to farm Coffee. Botania's potions fill the same role,and is much simpler,in my opinion.

But,before that,I have a slightly more pressing concern. Retrieving the contents of my silos. My silos are pretty close together,and I have NO IDEA how IE's Redstone Wires work,despite some experimentation. Images will be at the bottom of the post,in a spoiler. I plan on the retrieval line going partially underground,in order to keep some surface space handy. Each pair of silos output onto their own belts,but they quickly merge into a single line,which then heads underground via a vertical drop. From there,however,I don't have anything. First priority,however,is Biodiesel production. I want my Immersive Engineering machines to be on the surface; It just doesn't feel right to squirrel them away underground,so that means the conveyor lines eventually need to come back up.

Image time!

This first image illustrates the distance between different pairs of silos. The mass of chiselled Granite covers up the part of the belts that drop items down,to guard against accidental flinging.
7CnhYtu.png

This second image illustrates the distance between individual silos within a pair.
JogcvjD.png

I could really use some help on how to set up an intelligent system for retrieving items from these things. I've never been a wizard with Redstone,or had much of a head for programming things in Minecraft. But,I'll give it a stab,if I must. Just expect LOTS of troubleshooting from me.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
I've rejiggered my Melon silo pair; They both now store whole Melons,and the line extends past them,to a Compacting Drawer. An Itemduct with a Servo pulls slices out from the Compacting Drawer,and dumps them into a "Small" Storage Crate,which is Hoppered onto a Conveyor Belt. A Splitting Conveyor Belt round-robins the Melon Slices between a Mechanical Crafter and a Storage Drawer. The Mechanical Crafter spits Melon Seeds out,via Itemduct w/Servo,into another Storage Drawer. An Itemduct with Servos pulls the Melon Slices and Seeds out of the respective Storage Drawers,and dumps them into a "Small" Storage Crate,which is then Hoppered from to a Conveyor Belt and into an Item Router; One side sends Melon Seeds to the Industrial Squeezer (Yet to be built),and the other sends Melon Slices to the Industrial Fermenter (Yet to be built). From there,the fluids are sent to a Refinery (Yet to be built),which is then,finally,sent to the Biodiesel Generators (Yet to be built).

The belts at the bottom of the silos have been rejiggered,as well; Instead of leading underground,they now lead up,to the Compacting Drawer. I want either the Storage Drawers or the Compacting Drawer to emit a Redstone signal when they are empty,to be received by the silos,prompting them to dispense Melons to the Compacting Drawer in order to ensure minimal delays in providing the system with materials for Biodiesel production. Which Storage Drawers upgrade do I need for this,and how will I translate this into Immersive Engineering Redstone Wire malarkey to send it to the silos?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Immersive Engineering Assembler, can craft melons into seeds, and hemp directly into string. All that's needed is a method of controlling when the stuff is sent in so it doesn't over fill.

Redstone Wiring is a bit of a weird one. (Assuming it hasn't changed since I last used it.) Place down a connector, it'll have two modes. Blue mode is signal incoming. So if you apply a signal to the block it's on, one will come inwards to the wire. Then a wire connected to that, in orange output mode, will output a signal to the block it's sitting on. (I'm using down for ease of explanation, but it'll work on any side.)

Blue is accepting input from the block beneath it.
2017-11-30_17.44.43.png

Orange is outputting signal to the block beneath it.
2017-11-30_17.44.47.png

Lever on, signal transmits.
2017-11-30_17.44.59.png

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
Immersive Engineering Assembler, can craft melons into seeds, and hemp directly into string. All that's needed is a method of controlling when the stuff is sent in so it doesn't over fill.

Redstone Wiring is a bit of a weird one. (Assuming it hasn't changed since I last used it.) Place down a connector, it'll have two modes. Blue mode is signal incoming. So if you apply a signal to the block it's on, one will come inwards to the wire. Then a wire connected to that, in orange output mode, will output a signal to the block it's sitting on. (I'm using down for ease of explanation, but it'll work on any side.)

Blue is accepting input from the block beneath it.
View attachment 35287

Orange is outputting signal to the block beneath it.
View attachment 35288

Lever on, signal transmits.
View attachment 35289

And what about Redstone Wire systems that have relays between the input and output? Due to the position of the Storage/Compacting Drawers,I cannot wire a straight line to the Silo outputs.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Set them to input and put them on blocks that don't matter if they get a signal. Wooden posts, or wall mounts work well.

Right clicking with a hammer flips the modes, but Shift-right-click will change the color of the terminal to any of the 16 minecraft colors. And they'll only output to a terminal of the same color. So you can have white and orange running through the same connections, and only those receiving a signal on the input will output it.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
I have an atrocious maze of Conveyor Belts running right now,because of my produce farm and Biodiesel line... And I won't have it any other way. I don't know why,but having these conveyor lines running around is endlessly satisfying. Sure,it's not as fast as Impulse Itemducts,but it's wholesomely industrial. So,which Redstone upgrade do I need to slot into my Drawers to make them output a signal when empty? Redstone Min? Or something else?

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
I've completely rebuilt my Biodiesel system. My first plan did not work on any level. So,those two silos have been emptied,and the system that feeds into my (Now built) Industrial Squeezer,Fermenter,and Refinery has been removed. Now,I have twelve Garden Cloches,all with Melons; Six on one side is turned into Melon Slices,then Melon Seeds,before being fed into the Industrial Squeezer via Impulse Itemducts. The other six are turned into Melon Slices,then fed via Impulse Itemduct into the Industrial Fermenter. From there,the fluids are pumped into the Refinery,and then into two Biodiesel Generators. Problem is,I have a limiting reactant problem; The generators keep guttering out (For no more than a second at a time,mind you),because I can't keep up with Plant Oil production. Would adding another Industrial Squeezer fix this problem,or just create the same problem for Ethanol?

EDIT: I decided to see if it was flow that was the problem... And it is. Using Immersive Engineering Fluid Pipes and Pumps,I can only properly fuel a single Diesel Generator with a single set of Biodiesel producing hardware. I'll see if I can't feed a second Squeezer,Fermenter,and Refinery with these twelve Garden Cloches.

EDIT 2: And the system's vulnerable to backing up on Melon Slices. Sod it. I'm gonna nuke this world,and start from scratch. I think steam power's going to be a lot more attractive. Less of a headache to automate,that's for certain.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've completely rebuilt my Biodiesel system. My first plan did not work on any level. So,those two silos have been emptied,and the system that feeds into my (Now built) Industrial Squeezer,Fermenter,and Refinery has been removed. Now,I have twelve Garden Cloches,all with Melons; Six on one side is turned into Melon Slices,then Melon Seeds,before being fed into the Industrial Squeezer via Impulse Itemducts. The other six are turned into Melon Slices,then fed via Impulse Itemduct into the Industrial Fermenter. From there,the fluids are pumped into the Refinery,and then into two Biodiesel Generators. Problem is,I have a limiting reactant problem; The generators keep guttering out (For no more than a second at a time,mind you),because I can't keep up with Plant Oil production. Would adding another Industrial Squeezer fix this problem,or just create the same problem for Ethanol?

EDIT: I decided to see if it was flow that was the problem... And it is. Using Immersive Engineering Fluid Pipes and Pumps,I can only properly fuel a single Diesel Generator with a single set of Biodiesel producing hardware. I'll see if I can't feed a second Squeezer,Fermenter,and Refinery with these twelve Garden Cloches.

EDIT 2: And the system's vulnerable to backing up on Melon Slices. Sod it. I'm gonna nuke this world,and start from scratch. I think steam power's going to be a lot more attractive. Less of a headache to automate,that's for certain.
Well, here's the problem that I suspect: you get more plant oil out of industrial hemp seeds (120mB per seed) than you get out of melon seeds (80mB per seed), which means that you must process more seeds per time unit if you use melon seeds for plant oil than if you use hemp, and the Squeezer may not be up to it. I can only say that if you use hemp seeds for making plant oil, one squeezer will make enough plant oiil per time unit and the system will work. I've had this - one squeezer and one fermenter feeding one refinery feeing two Diesel generators - running for a very long time without a single hiccup for a very long time. It's extremely stable.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ensure you're feeding enough power. I've seen issues where the squeezer is using all it's buffer because it's not getting enough power and that's slowing the system.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Ensure you're feeding enough power. I've seen issues where the squeezer is using all it's buffer because it's not getting enough power and that's slowing the system.
Yeah, that, too. The prevalent wiki at gamepaedia lists wrong power consumption rates. The squeezer and the fermenter consume 640 RF/t each, so you'll need HV wiring to give them what they need.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Or two MV's feeding into a capacitor.

I'd make a comment about using the manual, but as far as I know it's still crashing the game to desktop.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
I've been able to use the manual perfectly fine. Crashes did happen more frequently while using it,I will admit,but they weren't consistent. The Akashic Tome might be a factor; As soon as possible,I always get one,and consolidate my guidebooks.

So,new world. Largely because my first one was an absolute mess; It was mostly stream-of-consciousness style building. Seriously. You think DireWire's bad? Try RiddleWire.

Because RF/IF/CF/T are all functionally identical,I'm able to use a single power supply for my needs,for the most part. I'll be giving Biodiesel another try,but if that fails,I'll fall back to either Thermal Expansion Steam,or Magmatic Dynamos on Blazing Pyrotheum. Either way,I'll be using Thermal Expansion Energy Cells for most of my power storage,because holy smokes,dat energy density,with Immersive Engineering in charge of long-distance transmission,because,again,energy density.

So,power plan; Twelve Garden Cloches,six growing Hemp,six growing Melons. The Hemp Fibre's gashed,while the seeds are Squeezed into Plant Oil. The Melons are broken down into Melon Slices via Compacting Drawer,and Fermented into Ethanol. The Plant Oil and Ethanol are Refined into Biodiesel,and sent to two Diesel Generators. Since the processing hardware needs HV power,I'll need Energy Cells on site for a power buffer. I'm thinking... Six. One per output per Diesel Generator. Is there any downside to going "Sod it",and feeding the Garden Cloches with HV power,as well? I really need to simplify my wiring.

If the Biodiesel plan works,it'd be pretty simple to linearly expand,to meet my power demands. If it fails,well,steam or Blazing Pyrotheum will be similarly easy to expand to meet my needs.

With power squared away,Project: Singularity's unchanged; Use Actually Additions and Environmental Tech to produce infinite ores for processing. I might also include Orechids from Botania,as well,provided I can get a handsfree mana solution. Maybe a whole mess of Endoflames and Charcoal Blocks; I've automated that before in Regrowth. I believe I called it my Mana Tower. The requisite Smoothstone for the Atomic Reconstructors and (maybe) Orechids will be provided via an Igneous Extruder pushing Cobblestone into a Thermal Expansion Furnace. Should be more power efficient than melting Cobblestone into Lava to fuel a second Igneous Extruder's production of Smoothstone. However,my issue with this system is still telling the system to only mine/pick up the block after it's turned into an ore. Can Integrated Dynamics do this? If not,what can?

Compared to a Resonant Pulverizer with as many Auxiliary Reception Coils (Speed augs) as it can handle,how fast is the Immersive Engineering Crusher? If it's anything like the Squeezer and Fermenter,it should be able to process all of its input slots simultaneously,if given enough juice.

Finally,some .ini edits; I've re-enabled spawns in the Mining World,though it's still perpetually daylight. Also,what .ini do I need to edit so I can claim and load more chunks? With how I build,I'll need more.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Seems something changed and now it's behaving. Not sure if it was a Java Update, or Forge Update, but it wasn't an IE update.

Seriously, use Biodiesel, but pump it into an Advanced Generator. It's so much more fuel efficient it's not even funny.

If your Cloches are side by side, run Flux ducting along the top and then connect it with a single HV cable, and that should vastly reduce the need to worry about wiring. The Conduit has it's own small internal buffer and will thus smoothly split the power amongst the connected Cloches.

Make a Material StoneWorks Factory from Industrial Foregoing instead. That will produce Smoothstone for only the cost of power. (Technically it produces cobble, but can then be setup to 'smelt' it, providing direct smooth stone instead.

Crusher's pretty quick, but I'm certain it's nowhere near the speed of a maxxed out Pulverizer.

My response is, since Chicken Chunks is now a thing for 1.12, modify the pack and use that instead of the awful FTB Utils chunkloading.

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
...Alright,what the sod happened to Environmental Tech's manual? Further,even the lowest levelled objects from Environmental Tech seem to require materials that can only be obtained via an Environmental Tech device! I have absolutely zero idea where to even begin with Environmental Tech,now,thanks to this chicanery.