[Direwolf20 1.10.2]: No real lava-based RF generators?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
Since I started playing Modded Minecraft in the Direwolf20 pack (can't remember when I started), I've went from Coal/Lava/Solar Panel. The 1.7.10 pack was different, going from Coal/Lava/Charcoal/Big Reactor.
Yet in the 1.10.2 pack, lava isn't an option anymore. So, why is Ranged Pumps a thing in the pack when there's no real RF-based lava generator (like the generators from the old Extra Utilities mod)?

I believe someone managed to make these generators as a separate mod, but I don't know if it's updated to the latest. If it is, would it be possible to get this to work with the pack?

In closing, I got lots of coal. But the machines I have (EnderIO and Refined Storage) eat it like candy. I need a virtually infinite source of power that I can just let it sit there and power my entire base (of course connecting it to machines). Now I know lava is finite, but it'll last a lot longer than Coal. Just enough until I can think of a better, renewable power source.

I'm in the early stages of mid game. I think I remember dire saying in his initial Season 8 video about "more mods are coming". I know Thaumcraft's one, but any helpful mods (power-wise) to where I should just pause playing until they come?

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
EnderIO Tank can fill buckets with lava. The Stirling Generator can use lava buckets as a solid fuel source. Given the ease of configuring EnderIO machines, it is a simple task to turn Lava into RF using only EnderIO. Better pump options can only make this more effective.

On the other hand, there are a ton of ways to make power. Try looking outside your norm for once. Explore options given to you in the pack that you may not have tried before. Lava has always been effective, but done it once and you've done it a thousand times. Embrace change. Live a little.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know the Sterling Generator can use Lava as well. I thought it was Coal/Charcoal/Coal Coke only.
And yes, I know about the other sources of power. Biofuel, and the generator from Actually Additions that uses Canola.
But I haven't any idea how I'm going to automate that process. Debating if I should just wait 'till dire 'catches up' to me and see how he does it. Because I also want this power source, whatever it is, to be my main base's power. And it has to be enough to keep them running at peak efficiency.

I've just been so used to using these reliable sources of power (that I have for years), that the others seem too inefficient to even consider.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Probably better learn to abuse Deep Resonance with Draconic Evolution in the pack since DE requires very large amounts of power and afaik does not have it's own generators.
Early power power need I'm planning to zombie gen it (EnderIO) just for fun.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
But I haven't any idea how I'm going to automate that process. Debating if I should just wait 'till dire 'catches up' to me and see how he does it.

I've just been so used to using these reliable sources of power (that I have for years), that the others seem too inefficient to even consider.

Monkey sees, monkey does... Don´t be a monkey :D

I did found myself doing the same thing at start. Waiting for DW or some other YouTubers to progress faster then me and then more or less copy their stuff. But after a while this is getting booring and for me the real kick of Modded Minecraft is to "waste" 2 hours just to find out that a Stirling Generator can also use Lava buckets :)
Of course you do not have to find out everything by testing ingame. I recoment to use a Creative world as well so you can tinker around and after build up and adapt the setup to your normal world. + as you did use the Forum...+wiki+ modspotlights so you find out stuff about mods you were not aware of before.

As you said there are lots of Mods you never tried there Power Gen befor because it seems "inefficient" but not you don´t have access to your usual routine, maybe they are not as bad as they seemed befor? Why not give it a try.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Probably better learn to abuse Deep Resonance with Draconic Evolution in the pack since DE requires very large amounts of power and afaik does not have it's own generators.
Early power power need I'm planning to zombie gen it (EnderIO) just for fun.

Unless things have changed from DE in 1.7.10, it has a reactor but it's very later game.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
DE is listed as a Late Game mod, so I won't be touching that. Thought of going with Forestry in making a Charcoal farm. But it requires a crapload of resources and a thing like Refined Storage to continiously keep it filled to make it work (compared to Minefactory Reloaded, that had a way to locally keep it filled).
I have Refined Storage (the basics), but I don't know how to hook it up with EnderIO (to move processed ore into the system). Back with AE2, I believe you used the ME Interface or something like it.

I know about setting up a test world (I have one). But I just want to know what to do (and know it would work) before I actually do it, to avoid unnecessary testing (aka how and where to hook up stuff).

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Try the canola gen from the looks it can go from an early game source using very easy resources for a small-med amount of power to a mid-late game source using massive amounts of automation, though not the real late game looks like 350rf\tic per gen for it when fully upgraded so a bank of twenty would be almost enough to run my late game storage.....

It also depends what you call early-mid-late game. For me early game is smeltery, hammer, initial flight, partially automated machinery with just enough power to run them, mid is fully automated mining, farming and machinery, the ability to automate everything, a robust and expandable storage system, late game is fusion reactors and anything at all is available with a bit of work in any quantity you desire, basically with a bit of work you can build yourself into "better than" creative mode.

If you want to not have to think about how to make things work, I can completely understand that point of view not everyone wants to spend 6 hours making a pumpkin farm work "right", just follow along with Dire.

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Unless things have changed from DE in 1.7.10, it has a reactor but it's very later game.

Sadly the reactor hasn't made it in yet as I was looking forward to making a open computers program for it as a project since I already made a CC program for the 1.7.10 version. A fusion crafting reactor has been added though, but it only upgrades tools and crafts draconic level tools instead of generating power.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Forestry farm isn't nearly that bad. Yes, it needs several things, but it's not impossible to deliver them in any number of ways. A single Dimensional Transceiver is more than sufficient to run the entire thing. It uses fertilizer yes, but by the time you've gotten to the point where you've run through the first stack, you're going to be into manual mining and getting more Apatite than you know what to do with. Heck, even a small pocket gets you a stack of it, and that octuples into fertilizer.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry farm isn't nearly that bad. Yes, it needs several things, but it's not impossible to deliver them in any number of ways. A single Dimensional Transceiver is more than sufficient to run the entire thing. It uses fertilizer yes, but by the time you've gotten to the point where you've run through the first stack, you're going to be into manual mining and getting more Apatite than you know what to do with. Heck, even a small pocket gets you a stack of it, and that octuples into fertilizer.

If you build your multiblock correctly, you should be able to supply all non-fluid needs via a Vanilla Hopper . It's more involved than MFR for sure, but that's hardly a standard we should be holding mods to.

Reactions: PierceSG

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I know, but I'm just pointing out power is less easy to manage automatically, though it doesn't actually consume all that much power. It just does require more than just items.

That said, with Forestry itself, you can fulfill it's fluid needs with a Raintank.

On the other hand, if you're intent on generating power with Forestry, using peat is probably a good option. Half-wood, half peat provides a lot of power, and all you need to dump in is dirt, and that's pretty easy to come by.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I know, but I'm just pointing out power is less easy to manage automatically, though it doesn't actually consume all that much power. It just does require more than just items.

That said, with Forestry itself, you can fulfill it's fluid needs with a Raintank.

On the other hand, if you're intent on generating power with Forestry, using peat is probably a good option. Half-wood, half peat provides a lot of power, and all you need to dump in is dirt, and that's pretty easy to come by.

Even the MFR Harvester required you to deal with items, power and fluid (granted, it was removal rather than supply). The benefit of the multiblock is more faces from which to do it.

I agree Forestry farms can provide plenty of fuel though. I've never actually set up a peat farm, but I have used Forestry farms to supply wood to a charcoal burning setup with excellent results.

I'm not sure why there is so much dislike for Forestry farms, but I suppose i never used them until they became what they are. I know they've changed over time, which always alienates some of the populace. To each their own.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I used both and I kind of prefer the multi-block ones. The older ones were harder to automate true, but they were also space inefficient. With a 5x5 multi-block you get the same kind of production, but more tightly packed in. Or you can go with a smaller one and get more farms of differing varieties in an area.

Maximum efficiency requires a three pronged approach. Peat, charcoal, and biomass into Ethanol. Apples and excess saplings generate Biomass and then Ethanol, Wood becomes charcoal, or lumber which if run through a sawmill produces slightly more I believe. Then Peat produces not only power, but also ash you can use to get larger quantities of fertilizer.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ummm... wow, 'this pack sucks because no lava gen'? Really?

I don't recall if Immersive Engineering is in the pack, but if it is, try wind and water power. Good reliable passive RF generation. Diesel Generator produces 4k RF/t for your next step. Then there's Deep Resonance for late game uber power gen.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ummm... wow, 'this pack sucks because no lava gen'? Really?
You just quoted something that wasn't said and wasn't really strongly implied (to a reasonable extent)
Bad Shneekey.

I too am a bit concerned with strong preferences for regurgitated lava solutions fwiw. But if peeps log on to ask, its reasonable to just help em out. (Especially cuz half the time they're just kids)

Reactions: Psychicash

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Helping goes only as far as the receptiveness of your audience. Reading his posts, I think these suggestions fell on deaf ears pyure. But that's my opinion