Direwolf 20's Season 6 Lets Play

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft is a mod designed around making the game easier in my opinion, far too easy to get amazing things with it.

You do not know very much about modern Dartcraft, I think.

Tinker's Construct on the other hand does everything better, and has a good price:reward:time ratio. Honestly, it shouldn't be included in any of the packs but should instead be an "optional" mod. I've never messed with MFR, but I hear the same things about it.

TiCO tools are substantially better than dartcraft tools now. The only place where dartcraft is a clear win, and that's with the lumberjack axes.

As for EnderIO, I'm really baffled he didn't include it.

Blood Magic, as well. I can only assume he objects to the concept. Curious since so many of his series revolve around the murder of neutral mobs.

Reactions: Crea and RedBoss

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It's been about ~4 months since I messed with Dartcraft and haven't looked at it since. Did something change?

Pretty much everything. I use Dartcraft in my LP because it's the less powerful option. I've been using my blood magic tools more and more, tbh.

Reactions: Crea

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I like DW. This new series probably won't interest me much until later episodes since I've had access to these "new mods" for a while now. That and there's a ton more that he's just not using.

Most of these OP, and balance comments are seemingly based on dated information. Dartcraft and mfr have changed in 1.6. A LOT.

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
As of lack of MFR in season 6 and op'ness of tree farms. Look that when you use forestry farm you use vanilla saplings. But when you start mutating trees and when you finally make the best sapling (biggest sapliness and amount of saplings from one tree) MFR tree farm isn't that OP opositte to uber sapling by Forestry. Also MFR mob spawner is the best one - new Soul shards technique works like vanilla spawner - player must be near it to work. Also MFR laser (requires gigantic amount of energy) and so on. I think it's easy to make it and set a power line to it - not that though. But in Magic Farm 2 MFR will be - also with magical crops and other fancy mods. Also you can add mods by yourself - noone said that you must play on "basic" DW20 S6 pack :) As of me magic farm 2 looks more "wicked".

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft is a mod designed around making the game easier in my opinion, far too easy to get amazing things with it. Tinker's Construct on the other hand does everything better, and has a good price:reward:time ratio. Honestly, it shouldn't be included in any of the packs but should instead be an "optional" mod. I've never messed with MFR, but I hear the same things about it.

As for EnderIO, I'm really baffled he didn't include it.
You are really wrong, wrong in every way possible...
Dartcraft got nerfed in 1.6 soooooo bad, it is a shadow of what it was in 1.5.
Everyone saying "Dartcraft is OP" never played 1.6.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
There's one challenge I'd really like to see Dire take on this season: no 9x9s and no typical square cobble/stonebrick houses in general.

Also, what got change about Dartcraft in 1.6? It wasn't really my thing in 1.5, but I'm just wondering what's different now.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
If MFR is added then pretty much all reservations I have about the pack will disappear. I would like to see Engineer's Toolbox too but if that doesn't happen I won't mind.

I am mainly interested in the pack for Dire's lets play and for a long time I have thought that Dire will be able to come up with some really cool builds. The highlight of season 4 for me was the Rube Goldberg machine and I think elements in MFR lend themselves well to creating these crazy Rube Goldberg machines.

I agree with many commenters here who hope that Dire will make his builds more attractive, even if that just means using different coloured conveyor belts.

Maybe in mid season we could have a special episode double bill where Morvelaira comes in and prettys the base up.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
How do you ask a man who builds with cobble and square boxes to be more aesthetic? That's like asking the most interesting man in the world to not be interesting. He doesn't know how.

Reactions: RedBoss

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
How do you ask a man who builds with cobble and square boxes to be more aesthetic? That's like asking the most interesting man in the world to not be interesting. He doesn't know how.

it's kind of this... direwolf never has been a builder who's good at aesthetics, and he can spend a whole lot of time prettying his builds up, but it probably won't be of any help.
direwolf rather likes to take that extra time, and use a mod in a different way, teaching his viewers new ways of using the mods.

though I am still for the idea of having direwolf do a let's play season with a modpack put together by his viewers ;)
it'd be pretty fun watching Direwolf play with mods he doesn't know yet :)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Interesting conundrum I see ahead... TiC is pretty cool. To me it was an answer to 1) RP2's missing gems for mid game weapons and tools 2) the really stupid random exercises of enchanting. Not that I have been surveying the FC youtubes all that much, but I never heard a peep from this Project:Red mod. It looks pretty interesting. Just makes me think what creativity came about with the absence of RP2. FTB users got some really cool stuff to replace its functions such as rednet, BC add ons to make pipes less ridiculous, etc. With this project:red thing, seems to be alittle of redundancy. How far does Project:Red parallel RP2? In what areas does it fall short?

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
How far does Project:Red parallel RP2? In what areas does it fall short?

Just getting to grips with it now.
It seems to be an outright copy. (in terms of ideas and models, not code) so it is what it is.
Doesn't seem to be any project table or machines. But then I think the mod is still in dev. (may be wrong)
It does however have some new lighting as well as the old favourites such as caged lamps. tbh I loved RP's red alloy wire. And it was kinda cool to be laying that down again. Was odd though not to make it in an alloy furnace.
All in all PR seems to do the job, but little in the way of inovation. But then I think the intial aim was to just get the basic functions of RP back out there.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Project Red is pretty cool. It has the gem tools which is nice but I keep forgetting to make them because I am so not used to having redpower in the pack. They have all of the logic gates and all the shades of red alloy wire which is really good. I was a fan of MFRs rednet very early on but I still think that Eloraam had a really neat idea with her red alloy wire and before I had installed Immibis' red logic (and later played around with project red on Resonant Rise) I missed it even though I was using rednet. Urgh that was an ugly sentence. Basically what I mean is even though MFR is ideal for many applications, sometimes you just need a bit of good ol' red alloy wire and project red has you covered.

Project red also adds special trees that have stained leaves. The saplings can be used as dyes.

The mod adds really good lamps in a number of different varieties. They are pretty.

Volcanoes (but they seem to generate differently to the old Redpower ones). I went down the conduit to the bottom of the volcano and there was no lava lake, but that was just one test. They are made of basalt.

The mod has marble too although I think it is disabled on Resonant Rise as I haven't seen any. That may not be the case on the FTB packs.

It adds bags which is useful although it is just as string hungry as the old ones and as far as I know, project red does not add any way to farm string yet. It does have a wool card though.

One awesome thing about the mod though is excellent forge multipart compatibility. All the wires are multiparts. Guess what else is a multipart... extra utilities pipes! You can run an extra utils pipe and a red alloy wire through the same block. A few other mods add tubes and such that are multipart compatible but I am not sure if they are in FTB yet.

A final note. In Resonant Rise when I boot up I get a chat message from project red saying that a new version is available. It mentions a new mechanical package along with some sort of item routing system. I don't know if the FTB versions have that yet or even if it is stable but it is definitely something to watch out for in the future.

Reactions: Molten

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Just getting to grips with it now.
It seems to be an outright copy. (in terms of ideas and models, not code) so it is what it is.
Doesn't seem to be any project table or machines. But then I think the mod is still in dev. (may be wrong)
It does however have some new lighting as well as the old favourites such as caged lamps. tbh I loved RP's red alloy wire. And it was kinda cool to be laying that down again. Was odd though not to make it in an alloy furnace.
All in all PR seems to do the job, but little in the way of inovation. But then I think the intial aim was to just get the basic functions of RP back out there.
They cleaned up what little derps that came from rp2 and just reengineered things people found useful. I too think that was the aim.[DOUBLEPOST=1386796759][/DOUBLEPOST]
Project Red is pretty cool. It has the gem tools which is nice but I keep forgetting to make them because I am so not used to having redpower in the pack. They have all of the logic gates and all the shades of red alloy wire which is really good. I was a fan of MFRs rednet very early on but I still think that Eloraam had a really neat idea with her red alloy wire and before I had installed Immibis' red logic (and later played around with project red on Resonant Rise) I missed it even though I was using rednet. Urgh that was an ugly sentence. Basically what I mean is even though MFR is ideal for many applications, sometimes you just need a bit of good ol' red alloy wire and project red has you covered.

Project red also adds special trees that have stained leaves. The saplings can be used as dyes.

The mod adds really good lamps in a number of different varieties. They are pretty.

Volcanoes (but they seem to generate differently to the old Redpower ones). I went down the conduit to the bottom of the volcano and there was no lava lake, but that was just one test. They are made of basalt.

The mod has marble too although I think it is disabled on Resonant Rise as I haven't seen any. That may not be the case on the FTB packs.

It adds bags which is useful although it is just as string hungry as the old ones and as far as I know, project red does not add any way to farm string yet. It does have a wool card though.

One awesome thing about the mod though is excellent forge multipart compatibility. All the wires are multiparts. Guess what else is a multipart... extra utilities pipes! You can run an extra utils pipe and a red alloy wire through the same block. A few other mods add tubes and such that are multipart compatible but I am not sure if they are in FTB yet.

A final note. In Resonant Rise when I boot up I get a chat message from project red saying that a new version is available. It mentions a new mechanical package along with some sort of item routing system. I don't know if the FTB versions have that yet or even if it is stable but it is definitely something to watch out for in the future.
Yeah, I kinda laughed at the idea to reverse craft wool to string by blowing a block of diamonds, and it looked ridiculous for a bag to require a stack of string... but I await great things on the...... "Horizon" as it were.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
sitting through Bivo's spotlight of it now... and I'm reminded why I starting only watching dire's youtubes... no offense, but Bivo's presentation and he himself really annoy me. I'll just go ahead and apologize right now lol.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
sitting through Bivo's spotlight of it now... and I'm reminded why I starting only watching dire's youtubes... no offense, but Bivo's presentation and he himself really annoy me. I'll just go ahead and apologize right now lol.

Is that the guy that laughs at his own comments every 20 seconds ? If it is, then I know who you mean, and that's the only thing that puts me off.
I end up sitting there cringing waiting for the next nervous laugh. Shame, cause he's not bad other than that. But that's emough to send me away.
I will appologise too:)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
yep. Not saying DW is the best as that is relative when your talking about an audience of over a million, DW just is exactly how I want it. Only thing I have for even him as a constructive criticism, is that no one doing a spotlight on youtube should ever have to waste everyone's time with giving a vocal expression of the component placement on the grid needed as they are visually obvious. Please show the recipe, but don't make me facepalm by telling me what I'm seeing. Its tough doing a 30 minute presentation. DW brings it how I want it. 100%Function/0%Form, without any flair, dramatics, 0 communication querks, and just a hint of personality.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
How is the harvester and planter OP? All it does is break the leaves instead of letting them decay. At a much higher power usage. MFR gets a bad rap. Its not as OP as people think it is. If you watch Dire's lets play you will see the forestry tree farm produces an insane amount of wood too. Tree farms are OP because vanilla tree growth mechanics are OP.

Its not crazily OP but its fairy easy to generate infinite power without much effort or thought. I really like the mod but sometimes it does feel a bit too powerful