Direwolf 20's Season 6 Lets Play

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I am sooo excited!!!

Well, the first episode aired a couple of hours ago and I didn't see much on the forums so I thought I would start a thread.

To kick things off, I am pleased he is settling in one of my favourite biomes and there are a few mods on the mod list that I am really looking forward to seeing more of, particularly Ars Magica as he said there is still a lot of work being done on it so we can expect to that and a few other mods get even more interesting as the series progresses.

I was sorry to not hear either Dartcraft, MFR or Engineer's Toolbox (I thought that particularly MFR and E Toolbox would have been right up Dire's street) the mod list but never mind. I am sure there will be plenty of other cool.

Its only been one episode but I am sure many of you will have some thoughts on the series, especially as we get a few more episodes in.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
We have wiki's and forums. But 1.6.4 has been missing a DW single player (look what you can do with these mods)
So glad to see it here at last. Can't wait to see what insane (just cause you can) builds he comes up with.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I think his 1.6 series will be the longest yet. Covering the past usuals, and then there is Sooooooooo much more crap to tutorialize. 1.4 series went to like just under 100 episodes... I can see this one going about 150.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Yeah a little disappointed to see MFR, and EnderIO didnt make the pack... Will probably stick to RR then.
me too on MFR. Heard that MFR turned out to be problem for alot of mods or something like that.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
I am very happy not to see MFR. Just one example, the tree farm you can make make is crazy. Direwolf likes a challenge. As I do.

Reactions: whizzball1

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
How is the harvester and planter OP? All it does is break the leaves instead of letting them decay. At a much higher power usage. MFR gets a bad rap. Its not as OP as people think it is. If you watch Dire's lets play you will see the forestry tree farm produces an insane amount of wood too. Tree farms are OP because vanilla tree growth mechanics are OP.

Reactions: RedBoss

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
How is the harvester and planter OP? All it does is break the leaves instead of letting them decay. At a much higher power usage. MFR gets a bad rap. Its not as OP as people think it is. If you watch Dire's lets play you will see the forestry tree farm produces an insane amount of wood too. Tree farms are OP because vanilla tree growth mechanics are OP.
it's probably not so much the planter as it is stuff like squid power that people think is op.

I'm definitely going to miss the spawning system for getting wither skulls and the sewage stuff for creating infinite free fertilizer to run forestry stuff off of. Maybe it'll get cleaned up later and can be put in.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
It's how fast it can run compared to forrestry or steve carts for the cost of set up.
But I'm not going to get into a debate about different mods in this thread. I just said I don't care for MFR, you said you enjoy it. Leave it at that.

Also I never used the word "OP" That word is overused.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
It's how fast it can run compared to forrestry or steve carts for the cost of set up.
But I'm not going to get into a debate about different mods in this thread. I just said I don't care for MFR, you said you enjoy it. Leave it at that.

Also I never used the word "OP" That word is overused.
You could say that the word OP is OU

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
it's probably not so much the planter as it is stuff like squid power that people think is op.

I'm definitely going to miss the spawning system for getting wither skulls and the sewage stuff for creating infinite free fertilizer to run forestry stuff off of. Maybe it'll get cleaned up later and can be put in.
Squid power is gone. Was nerfed heavily. The power usage requires infrastructure that costs more then people realize. And steve's carts tree farm is just as fast as an MFR tree farm unless you are using the fertilize option which steve's carts has as well. Heck you have to special mfr fertilizer however in steve's carts you can use bone meal. Just saying things are always exaggerated.

Fine if you dont want to call it OP but you did say it made things easier. And I am saying all tree farms are easy and make the game easier.

Reactions: RedBoss

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kind of disappointed, like with other season starts. the modlist that the pack has is pretty similar to old seasons, with just a few additions and some mods removed. BUT as always when the season is a few episodes in, some mods may get added or changed. but I'll be putting together my own modlist based on the FTB universal configurations myself, as there's some mods that I really like, but know Direwolf will not add

Reactions: immibis

Pascal van Ratingen

Jul 29, 2019
Its just DW20's pack, there will be more packs next week or so, i am allready happy enough that i can finally play with a 1.6 pack, i am missing extra bees and machines to, perhaps someday these mods will make it to a pack. Till then loads of things to explore.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
MFR had the Programmable Rednet Controller, and the very-cool Rednet 3D cabling. What a shame to see that go. MFR had quite a few very useful things. The rubber trees were much more practical than IC2's rubber. Also the use of mob essence with enchanting was extremely handy. I agree its a shame to see it missing. It would be better to have the mod author rebalance it than to remove it entirely.

Regarding squids, I never did the power cheat with 'em but I did find squid farming to be the only practical way to get a lot of ink for Mystcraft books. Mystcraft requires heaps of ink. Much more than you can get just slaying the random squid in the wild. Now what is supposed to be used?

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Its just DW20's pack, there will be more packs next week or so, i am allready happy enough that i can finally play with a 1.6 pack, i am missing extra bees and machines to, perhaps someday these mods will make it to a pack. Till then loads of things to explore.

Agreed... A lot of people who post disapointment are in fact allready playing 1.6.4 and this pack isn't the same as what they are playing, not fully realising the aim of Direwolf pack is it is full of the mods Direwolf wants. And if your a follower you can follow along. There are other packs coming as said.

Tbh with the extensive univeral configs that are shipped and the ease with which the launcher makes it to add new mods everyone is covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pascal van Ratingen

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
I think his 1.6 series will be the longest yet. Covering the past usuals, and then there is Sooooooooo much more crap to tutorialize. 1.4 series went to like just under 100 episodes... I can see this one going about 150.

Ehh I doubt it. His longest running one was Season 4 with 107 episodes, but just like S5, once he gets to the end of thaumcraft, and has a nuclear reactor it's pretty much over. He has a tendency to run through the mods in what would be typical builds for farms, but once he's got all the resources he needs, he just stops. I would like to see him take it a bit slower this time and take some time to focus on the asthetics of his base. Even if he keeps the 'modular' design for his main area, but at least tries to build something more. S4 was the best season by far. He had half a dozen different bases, some highly developed, others less so. S5 we saw his main area, and the village breeder (until he brought the back to his main area).

He just really needs to slow down, you don't have to complete a build every episode, the Twilight Forest bit he did in S5 was a nice break, but was a bit long, over dramatic (sorry dire you're not the best actor) and once it was over was pretty much done. The best part about S4 IMO, was how each activity was segregated to a separate base. Even though everything was tied with portals, it was still nice to see larger sections of the world or different worlds in the case of mystcraft. S5 really felt like it was just getting started and then it was over, I assume he was expecting to jump to the next version but those plans got changed. Would be nice to see a good long running mod series though, seems like most quit after the max out their main base and never try to expand. My 2 cents.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
And it is lacking Blood Magic(Or maybe I skipped it :/)
Lack of MFR, EnderIO ,EToolbox, Blood Magic and DartCraft makes his pack feel "meh" IMO.

Dartcraft is a mod designed around making the game easier in my opinion, far too easy to get amazing things with it. Tinker's Construct on the other hand does everything better, and has a good price:reward:time ratio. Honestly, it shouldn't be included in any of the packs but should instead be an "optional" mod. I've never messed with MFR, but I hear the same things about it.

As for EnderIO, I'm really baffled he didn't include it.

Last edited: