Digging a really, really big hole...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I once decided to clear out a cavern to make my own underground kingdom.

I backfilled every branch of the whole place with TNT, used water buckets to obsidian all the lava in the lower levels. It took me about a week to complete.

Then I lit it.

It crashed my game several times while my processor battled manfully against the ridiculous number of explosions. But I won in the end. A monstrously big scar on the landscape :D

Reactions: Padfoote

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
I hate turtles, because you can automate everything and it become an exploit. But you dont dig that kind of hole to be in "survival" mode. I guess it's an end game project ?

So you make a program that dig one full layer of your room at a time. You make your turtle "lock" a level (or an area) with a redstone block in a corner of the room, then it dig the entire layer. When it's over it seek for the next layer without redstone block and it restart the process. This way many should easily work together.

Emptying a cube shouldnt be too hard to code...

also, quarry+ 256x256.. as said previously...

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft brings some interesting ways to blow up your surroundings.

-TnT Cannon
-Railgun with either the 32t ammo or explosive one, then spawn some mobs wherever you want a big hole
-overload an industrial coil
-Sonic Borer, let it dig a hole then overload it with a gas turbine for an additionnal crater

You can also try the Rocket Launcher from MFR.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Is Thaumic Tinkerer's KAMI module not enabled in that pack? I looked at some of the videos of it and decided to never use it in my survival world as it looked so bloody OP. But it seems to add thaumic things that would let you (manually) clear an area that large as fast as you can run.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
actually, if you go the explosive way, and spam /xu_killitems after pulling the lever (assuming you have op access), your client will survive just fine.

It's not the explosion that kills the pc, but the dropped items floating around.

I did it with about 20 nukes chained to eachother, and it worked just fine :D

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Is Thaumic Tinkerer's KAMI module not enabled in that pack? I looked at some of the videos of it and decided to never use it in my survival world as it looked so bloody OP. But it seems to add thaumic things that would let you (manually) clear an area that large as fast as you can run.
OP? But it needs netherstars. Lots of netherstars. And instability galore. And so much essentia.[DOUBLEPOST=1399983441][/DOUBLEPOST]
or just build a nice nuclear reactor in the center and let it overload.
Fusion. ;)

Reactions: Padfoote

TimF

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of great advice here, thanks all. (Although Shazam08, I have a strange suspicion that a sacred rubber tree might not solve all my problems!)

Much though I like the idea of huge explosions (who doesn't), I don't think I trust my precision demolition skills to blast out a neat rectangular hole to exact dimensions with them... The bound pickaxe sounded like a great solution if it did 20x20x20 (962 uses to dig 7.7m blocks, I think) but at 10x10x10 it would still take over 7000 uses.

I think either a RoC sonic borer or a Buildcraft Filler with tessaracts for power sound the best choice. What's the advantage of using the filler over the quarry - is it just quicker and more efficient in exchange for not giving me the drops? And I thought the quarry was limited to 64x64 - did I miss something, or is that an advantage of the Quarry+?

Spatial pylons are completely new to me - they do look amazing! It sounds as though the power requirements for a space this size would be prohibitive, but I'm definitely going to experiment with them.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I can't answer that really. In the case of KAMI the tools looked completely OTT. The kinds of things that *could* be used to clear massive areas quickly. In most games, they are inappropriately effective. And in the games I would see their use as appropriate: the recipes are stupidly convoluted: If I wanted to sculpt the world, why require wither boss farming?

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
And I thought the quarry was limited to 64x64 - did I miss something, or is that an advantage of the Quarry+?

BC quarry is limited to 64x64, the mod QuarryPlus adds a new quarry and new landmarks that can expand to 256x256.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
in the past you could go bigger than 64 x 64. Is it really a limitation of the quarry? or of the land marks? Because that could be fudged

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
in the past you could go bigger than 64 x 64. Is it really a limitation of the quarry? or of the land marks? Because that could be fudged

To get the QuarryPlus out to 256 you need the MarkerPlus thingies. You could try extending the range of a normal quarry with MarkerPlus-es but i'm not sure if it would work at all.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
To get the QuarryPlus out to 256 you need the MarkerPlus thingies. You could try extending the range of a normal quarry with MarkerPlus-es but i'm not sure if it would work at all.
What i recall from a (long) while ago is that you could extend the quarry range by extending your landmarks.
1. place landmark
2. place lever and activate 'beam'
3. place another landmark further down the beam
4. make sure you have all 4 corners landmarked
5. rightclick a corner landmark. The beams should turn red
6. Place quarry at corner
7. Profit (or at least a quarry that is larger than 64x64)

Perhaps this works for filler as well, not sure, but then you could empty out a much larger area