Diamond Spawn seems really low?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
and there goes your local friendly Shoop, living up to his signature. :D

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
But you know what I got nothing better to do today. Be back in a few with some tested numbers. because if it is a bug it needs to be reported and fix. if it is not a bug then we have no issue other then peoples points of view.
Well, thank you then.

Probably need a decent sample size. 4 64x64 Quarries should do it. That's 14x14 Chunks, or 200 chunks worth of data. That should be statistically significant.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I think your gut is more feeling that higher needs for diamonds and not the lower number of them found.
My "gut feeling", as in, in an afternoon/evening spent mining in vanilla, with a fortune pick, I can get 40-60 diamonds. Using the same methods in FTB, I got 20ish as the maximum over several days.

Is there a way to force MC to generate a bunch of chunks automatically? If so one could tally the ore/diamond counts easily using MCEdit.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Come to think of it, while I'm not exactly short on diamonds, it was kind of hard to find some when starting the first mine under a Mountain Ridge biome... maybe there is something up with EBXL after all.

So Saice, you're mining a vanilla biome and a EBXL biome side by side in both test sites, if I see that correctly?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Come to think of it, while I'm not exactly short on diamonds, it was kind of hard to find some when starting the first mine under a Mountain Ridge biome... maybe there is something up with EBXL after all.

So Saice, you're mining a vanilla biome and a EBXL biome side by side in both test sites, if I see that correctly?

Nope that is one of the maintain type biomes from EBXL all vanilla are turned off. No need to mine vanilla as that as been done to death so we can just pull that data from elsewhere

Edit: the two you as asking about is Forested Hill and Desert Mountain

I did that in case it was something to due with the type of biome.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I created a new world in Mindcrack 8.0.1 with all the default settigns, generated a bunch of different biomes by flying around in creative. Then I picked a 6x6 chunks square in some of the vanilla and EBXL biomes and analyzed it using MCEdit. I have the complete analysis results if anyone is interested, here are the values for diamond ore (56:0):

Green hills: 99
Redwood forest: 130
Wasteland: 92
Tundra: 112
Plains: 126
Ocean: 113

The mean value is 112 diamonds in a 6x6 chunk area, or 3.11 diamond ore blocks per chunk. This agrees with the vanilla value of 3.097 as per minecraft wiki. As you can see the results vary by at most 20%, from which I conclude that the observed biomes don't have a significant effect on diamond distribution. Certainly not to the degree people (including myself!) are claiming. A more extensive test could be performed using a Large Biomes world and bigger samples, but the computer I'm using right now is struggling with MCEdit even at the sizes I used in the experiment above.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I created a new world in Mindcrack 8.0.1 with all the default settigns, generated a bunch of different biomes by flying around in creative. Then I picked a 6x6 chunks square in some of the vanilla and EBXL biomes and analyzed it using MCEdit. I have the complete analysis results if anyone is interested, here are the values for diamond ore (56:0):

Green hills: 99
Redwood forest: 130
Wasteland: 92
Tundra: 112
Plains: 126
Ocean: 113

The mean value is 112 diamonds in a 6x6 chunk area, or 3.11 diamond ore blocks per chunk. This agrees with the vanilla value of 3.097 as per minecraft wiki. As you can see the results vary by at most 10%, from which I conclude that the observed biomes don't have a significant effect on diamond distribution. Certainly not to the degree people (including myself!) are claiming. A more extensive test could be performed using a Large Biomes world and bigger samples, but the computer I'm using right now is struggling with MCEdit even at the sizes I used above.

You sir are awesome and has saved the Shoop an ass load of time. This is much as I had suspected.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I also thought that diamonds were harder to find at first, then after running my 64x64 quarry a few times, I'd have to say they are definitely there, you just aren't finding them.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I also thought that diamonds were harder to find at first, then after running my 64x64 quarry a few times, I'd have to say they are definitely there, you just aren't finding them.
true that... bad shortages of diamonds until I ran that beast once... ended up with around 1 and a half stacks of diamonds :D guess I may have gotten lucky though

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I have about 6-7 stacks scattered around, and 4 stacks of diamond dust. Diamonds are becoming common in my quest for iron :)

ScottKillen

Jul 29, 2019
THIS.

I already spawned a thread on this topic a week ago. My essential conclusion was, in my opinion, EXBL biomes is not spawning the vanilla Ores.

Mindcrack is supposed to use Vanilla + TE. Vanilla runs first, then TE makes MORE ores.

My solution was to go find an ocean and mine under that (only way to guarantee the biome is vanilla, since some EXBL biomes look similar). I fond TONS of diamond. Mined for a half hour at diamond level, and came back with 15 diamond blocks (silk touch).

My old thread: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/diamond-rarity.9085/
The vanilla ore generator generates ores regardless of biome. In other words, standard ore gen is not changed for Extrabiomes biomes. There are, however, a few mods in the modpacks that "tweak" ore generation.