Diamond Spawn seems really low?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Min

Jul 29, 2019
Im using the v8 of MindCrack pack and the spawn of diamond seems really low... I am using the same seed I was when I was on v7, and started a new world with it. In v7 the one area I mined I came out with 26 diamonds with a fortune III pick and with v8 I only found 1(exploring the same area)... and as I mine further and longer I'm finding hardly any...

Did the diamond spawn get tweaked in v8?

Thanks for any help!

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well at first with MindCrack, Thermal Expansion was set to have 1 extra node of 4 diamonds per chunk, but that has been removed from the config. I assume they thought that there were too many diamonds and wanted that removed.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Build a gregtech industrial grinder, manually mine nikolite ore with silk touch/rock cutter. You get 1 small pile of diamond dust per nikolite. Most IC2/gregtech recipes can accept diamond dust as a substitute for diamonds.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Build a gregtech industrial grinder, manually mine nikolite ore with silk touch/rock cutter. You get 1 small pile of diamond dust per nikolite. Most IC2/gregtech recipes can accept diamond dust as a substitute for diamonds.
Or a TE pulverizer for a 10% chance at diamond dust. If you don't have an industrial grinder.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't done any empirical tests, but my experience and "gut feeling" confirms that I'm finding less diamonds than in vanilla. This is however offset by the additional ways to manufacture diamonds - coal and nikolite being two of them. This at least gives me a reason to mine coal and not treat it like useless stone that just gets in the way and takes twice as long to mine.

SoSpecial

Jul 29, 2019
So I just stripmined for about 4 hours and found none, and I came away with over 20 stacks of redstone and nikolite. I don't know if there's something wrong with my configs, but I just deleted my folder and let the launcher redownload it.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
So I just stripmined for about 4 hours and found none, and I came away with over 20 stacks of redstone and nikolite. I don't know if there's something wrong with my configs, but I just deleted my folder and let the launcher redownload it.

What Y level are you mining at? I tend to prefer the 10-12 range for diamonds.

Phycoz

Jul 29, 2019
Same thing was happening to me. After a ton of mining manually and with turtles, I found about 5 diamonds over a week. I then moved out 1000 blocks and I have 30 diamonds without any fortune/silk touch or anything over a couple days. I'm guessing I was just unlucky.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Some areas seem more diamond rich than others.

Starting out I found about 10ish, and spend a fair bit of time pulverising coal. (honestly- if you're running low its the way to go!)

Then I lucked out and found quite a few ore nodes in close proximity to eachother, then found the same again after traversing another dead spot.
If you find lava caverns, pumping them dry usually yields a fair amount of resources.​

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't done any empirical tests, but my experience and "gut feeling" confirms that I'm finding less diamonds than in vanilla. This is however offset by the additional ways to manufacture diamonds - coal and nikolite being two of them. This at least gives me a reason to mine coal and not treat it like useless stone that just gets in the way and takes twice as long to mine.

I think your gut is more feeling that higher needs for diamonds and not the lower number of them found.

I do a lot of caving as my main stay for ore collection and while it is random as hell (and always has been) I'm not seeing any huge change.

-EDIT-
This is the current Ore Tweak file which is what FTB Mindcrack is using to alter ore gen. I'd like to point out two things. First yes there is code for vanilla ores. But second it is all set to 0 or basically its there but it is doing nothing.

tweak {
I:eek:re.copper.clusterSize=8
I:eek:re.copper.maxY=75
I:eek:re.copper.minY=40
I:eek:re.copper.numClusters=10
I:eek:re.ferrous.clusterSize=4
I:eek:re.ferrous.maxY=20
I:eek:re.ferrous.minY=5
I:eek:re.ferrous.numClusters=2
I:eek:re.lead.clusterSize=8
I:eek:re.lead.maxY=35
I:eek:re.lead.minY=10
I:eek:re.lead.numClusters=4
I:eek:re.silver.clusterSize=8
I:eek:re.silver.maxY=30
I:eek:re.silver.minY=5
I:eek:re.silver.numClusters=3
I:eek:re.tin.clusterSize=7
I:eek:re.tin.maxY=55
I:eek:re.tin.minY=20
I:eek:re.tin.numClusters=12
I:vanilla.augment.coal.clusterSize=0
I:vanilla.augment.coal.numClusters=0
I:vanilla.augment.diamond.clusterSize=0
I:vanilla.augment.diamond.numClusters=0
I:vanilla.augment.gold.clusterSize=0
I:vanilla.augment.gold.numClusters=0
I:vanilla.augment.iron.clusterSize=0
I:vanilla.augment.iron.numClusters=0
I:vanilla.augment.lapis.clusterSize=0
I:vanilla.augment.lapis.numClusters=0
I:vanilla.augment.redstone.clusterSize=0
I:vanilla.augment.redstone.numClusters=0

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There have been a few topics about this subject. Diamonds do seem rarer. When I compare to my vanilla play recently, I definitely had more diamonds with less mining.

The only common theme that was established is that everyone was mining in EXBL biomes, and that if people mined in vanilla biomes, then more diamonds were being found.

A true controlled test has yet to be performed to establish if something is going on with world gen with EXBL, or if the diamonds are just hiding a lot better :D

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
There have been a few topics about this subject. Diamonds do seem rarer. When I compare to my vanilla play recently, I definitely had more diamonds with less mining.

The only common theme that was established is that everyone was mining in EXBL biomes, and that if people mined in vanilla biomes, then more diamonds were being found.

A true controlled test has yet to be performed to establish if something is going on with world gen with EXBL, or if the diamonds are just hiding a lot better :D

Really can't compare straight to vanilla. It has to do with ore gen over all. When MC decides it is going to plop down some ore it basically does some math to the ore list and rarity then plops it down. So more types of ore means more choices which means less of vanilla ores. Not as noticeable with the more common ores because well they are common but stuff like diamond you should see a small hit.

So FTB is not changing diamond ore gen at all. But because their are more options for ore to gen in the same place as diamonds they will be a small change to that. But to be honest it is not huge. I think that is why in Mindcrack V6 (ithink) and earlier they added an extra diamond to the ore to up its total. But having the ore spread out over multiple layers thus bringing down the possible choices in each layer has basically fixed that as an issue.

If you want my full option of this i would say the diamond issue is more a fault of how people mine and less of there being a huge drop in the number of diamonds. All the auto mining systems will get your 1 diamond per ore. While my pickax of pimping shoopyness spits out 2-4 diamonds.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
THIS.

I already spawned a thread on this topic a week ago. My essential conclusion was, in my opinion, EXBL biomes is not spawning the vanilla Ores.

Mindcrack is supposed to use Vanilla + TE. Vanilla runs first, then TE makes MORE ores.

My solution was to go find an ocean and mine under that (only way to guarantee the biome is vanilla, since some EXBL biomes look similar). I fond TONS of diamond. Mined for a half hour at diamond level, and came back with 15 diamond blocks (silk touch).

My old thread: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/diamond-rarity.9085/

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
THIS.

I already spawned a thread on this topic a week ago. My essential conclusion was, in my opinion, EXBL biomes is not spawning the vanilla Ores.

Mindcrack is supposed to use Vanilla + TE. Vanilla runs first, then TE makes MORE ores.

My solution was to go find an ocean and mine under that (only way to guarantee the biome is vanilla, since some EXBL biomes look similar). I fond TONS of diamond. Mined for a half hour at diamond level, and came back with 15 diamond blocks (silk touch).
Well pressing F3 will show up the display that tells you the biome you are in. This is excellent news for me since I leave a lot of extra biomes off (They can still be found from mystcraft). It probably explains why I usually get about 20 diamonds on my first mining trip usually, since I usually spawn with at least 1 vanilla biome around me.

Reactions: jnads

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
THIS.

THIS would also be easy to TEST. Just turn off all vanilla biomes in side of extrabiomes.cfg and start up a test world and quarry the hell out of it.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Really can't compare straight to vanilla. It has to do with ore gen over all. When MC decides it is going to plop down some ore it basically does some math to the ore list and rarity then plops it down. So more types of ore means more choices which means less of vanilla ores. Not as noticeable with the more common ores because well they are common but stuff like diamond you should see a small hit.

So FTB is not changing diamond ore gen at all. But because their are more options for ore to gen in the same place as diamonds they will be a small change to that. But to be honest it is not huge. I think that is why in Mindcrack V6 (ithink) and earlier they added an extra diamond to the ore to up its total. But having the ore spread out over multiple layers thus bringing down the possible choices in each layer has basically fixed that as an issue.

If you want my full option of this i would say the diamond issue is more a fault of how people mine and less of there being a huge drop in the number of diamonds. All the auto mining systems will get your 1 diamond per ore. While my pickax of pimping shoopyness spits out 2-4 diamonds.
Unfortunately in my game world, enchanting was not an option. No cows anywhere near by, and I was just about able to loot enough books from villages to scrape up enchanting to the 30 level.
I think I lost around 70 levels in total from deaths before I could even start enchanting due to lack of diamonds and books. Now that I can enchant, my luck is still against me.

Oh well :D All good things comes to those that wait :p

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
THIS would also be easy to TEST. Just turn off all vanilla biomes in side of extrabiomes.cfg and start up a test world and quarry the hell out of it.
Yeah, but it's far easier to throw around partially-baseless and subjective conjecture.

Honestly, FTB has tons of bugs, and all I know is diamond has been incredibly rare since I switched from FTB Beta A a week ago (as a matter of fact, I imported my Beta A world as a Mystcraft world, so I could test it with a Quarry). But, I don't really feel like spawning 10 quarries to mine out a large area to prove it.

It's not unreasonable to think there might be a bug with the diamond spawning, given all the troubles people have. I'm not going to investigate it enough to file a bug report, but it's useful to collaborate on similarities.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
It's not unreasonable to think there might be a bug with the diamond spawning, given all the troubles people have. I'm not going to investigate it enough to file a bug report, but it's useful to collaborate on similarities.

Just because 100 people complain does not mean the issue is just one that is in their heads.

But you know what I got nothing better to do today. Be back in a few with some tested numbers. because if it is a bug it needs to be reported and fix. if it is not a bug then we have no issue other then peoples points of view.