Detailed Text Tutorial on Creating Tile Entites for MC 1.7.10; Can't Find?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

xKazlyn

Jul 29, 2019
Title says it all, my foray into the modding world has been going smoothly, got some basic ores/tools made as a kinda tutorial for myself, and i'm ready to delve into Tile Entites, but there seems to be NO 1.7 tutorials that are purly text based, i can't stand watching videos of code, since i like to be able to skim code and read/follow each line of code to understand its purpose, and I can't do this with a video sadly. So if anyone could direct me to a well written Forge tile entity tutorial, i would be greatly thankful, google hasn't brought me any useful tutorials yet, so I hope you guys (and girls) would know more than google. Thanks again! :)

Reactions: GreenZombie

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
unless I'm mistaken I don't think TEs changed all that much from 1.6, look at the vanilla TEs or one of the open source mods how they do it

Densely

Jul 29, 2019
i-know-some-of-these-words.jpg

i have no idea how to do anything with code. furthest i've got was configs :p (yes i know how comically far from actual code that is)

xKazlyn

Jul 29, 2019
Really all i need is an explanation of the NBT methods. Then a basic skeleton of the needed classes for a tile entity block

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Really all i need is an explanation of the NBT methods. Then a basic skeleton of the needed classes for a tile entity block
if you can handle XML DOM classes or JSON classes you can handle NBT, the only difference is that NBT is binary based

Key point is that the compound tag is the key-value structure (brace objects "{}" in json) and the list is the array (the brackets list "[]" in JSON) all the rest are the values in various formats