Deep base ideas

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Then someone goes to deep dadk and sees a crater where your base was.

Easy fix: Build small and compact until you can build a flying base and a spatial storage system, build said base, and simply store the entire thing in a storage cell when you get off. Just don't do anything dumb to die when holding it and it should work perfectly.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of hiding a base I think it is pretty hard to beat putting it in a mystcraft age and not leaving a book to it anywhere in the overworld. Unless they have admin rights nobody is getting to it except you.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Secret Rooms is an awesome mod for hiding anything, but I don't think it's in FTB.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It was also in Ultimate. I think Torch levers took it's place in the newer packs. I'm partial to dual bases. One visible surface base, with some stuff going on, and machines doing things, and a hidden deep base. There's no interaction between them, no connection at all. The only way between them is a book hidden in some out of the way place, named something to discourage people. Bee area works well enough if we have forestry.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of hiding a base I think it is pretty hard to beat putting it in a mystcraft age and not leaving a book to it anywhere in the overworld. Unless they have admin rights nobody is getting to it except you.

How would you come to the mystcraft age without leaving the book?

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
How would you come to the mystcraft age without leaving the book?

Make a linking book with the 'following' property, keep that linking book in your player inventory, take the descriptive book with you and store it in your hidden base.

Better yet, keep the linking book, and a backup, in your vanilla ender chest inventory.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Regarding locking enderchests: Adding a diamond to the lock moves the enderchest to your own personal network. An unlocked w-w-w enderchest, a w-w-w enderchest made by one player, and a w-w-w enderchest made by another player will all have different contents (and of course this works with other colours as well).

It does not stop someone else from opening a chest that you have placed and you have locked to get access to your stuff so if you're serious about keeping your stuff safe then put the locked enderchest in a secure location or remove the diamond when you are not around.

The way to think about it is that there are four parts to the code, the three colours and a name. Without the diamond the name is blank so the same colours have the same contents. Adding a diamond sets the name to your own name.

Reactions: Padfoote

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget that thaumcraft nodes can be seen quite a way away, so you will want to keep them elsewhere until you can hide them.

I always thought a pocket dimension from dim doors would be awesome, but at the time, you couldn't get silverwood to grow as you needed aura to kick it off.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
That, and it would be rather suspicious if the base never grew. You would have to actually work on the base as if you were using it, or people decide to "dig out the base and search for secrets."

Heh. I was on a vanilla server once and got griefed after making my initial base near spawn. I rebuilt the base in a far away location, but kept fixing the griefed base back up every time it got hit. They never managed to find the real base.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Heh. I was on a vanilla server once and got griefed after making my initial base near spawn. I rebuilt the base in a far away location, but kept fixing the griefed base back up every time it got hit. They never managed to find the real base.
Yeah, I did that a couple of times. Just use a brief filler, shove a couple chests and monster loot and put a sign saying: "Please don't grief. :(" It's amazing how the griefing doesn't stop and how they don't realize that it's not the real base.

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
A hidden drawbridge coming from the top down embedded in a wall that covers an elevator have it set up with an or switch and a timer out of sight. then all you need to do is place a button on the wall, press it, the drawbridge moves out of the way. break the button, use the elevator to go down while the elevator block is sealed off. To get back up there's another button attached to the or switch at the bottom (or at least a lower level) that will open the top block.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Beware living at low y levels. I was assaulted by the sounds of slimes hopping around constantly. Be sure to throw down a magnum torch, or short of that, half slabs.