Problem Dedicated Server - Horrible ping

Gladi099

Jul 29, 2019
Hey

I am running a Agrarian Skys 2.1.4 pure forge server. Its a dedicated server with the following specs:
2x 1000 GB SATA II-HDD 7.200 rpm
8 GB DDR3-RAM ECC
AMD Athlon II X4 605e, Quad-Core

100 mbit Up/down

Now, I don't have problems with my TPS, its just that the Ping is horrible high.
On the server selection screen from Minecraft its between 1000ms and 1500ms, avg 1200ms.
Ingame with Opis its always 100ms+

I have nothing else running on that server, I stopped everything.
Anyone got a Idea?
Server location is in same country as me.

Thanks

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Countries are big, across the US I expect 100ms at least, however that is a ping so there and back so it really takes half that to connect which is 50ms time to connect. I would trust opis ping more as the ping in the multiplayer menu is not the most accurate. In fact that ping is better then most. Do you experience any lag? Can you provide the server.log we can't help at all without any other info then "I have a high ping and my specs are here".

Gladi099

Jul 29, 2019
There is some chest and inventory lag.
Oh I am from Germany so that "distance" gets pretty small ;)
server log: http://pastebin.com/T534HwKq

if you are looking for "can't keep up" messages there are only two in the log and thas from when we had a item spill.

Gladi099

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. They are not the problem. I found it. Its my piece of **** wiring in the house, e.g. my own Internet connection.
A Opis run at a friends showed acceptable pings 30-50 ms.
Thanks

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. They are not the problem. I found it. Its my piece of **** wiring in the house, e.g. my own Internet connection.
A Opis run at a friends showed acceptable pings 30-50 ms.
Thanks

If its shit Cat 5 wiring, try connecting directly to the modem. If its shit coaxial cable connecting to the modem, try getting rid of any splitters in the line and move the modem to the closest connection to the entry point. Modems need the strongest signals, it doesn't matter for TV. If your up for an adventure in structural and electrical engineering you could replace the line yourself.

Gladi099

Jul 29, 2019
If its shit Cat 5 wiring, try connecting directly to the modem. If its shit coaxial cable connecting to the modem, try getting rid of any splitters in the line and move the modem to the closest connection to the entry point. Modems need the strongest signals, it doesn't matter for TV. If your up for an adventure in structural and electrical engineering you could replace the line yourself.

I cant go dig up the street and or rip the line from the apartment out. dude. not everyone has its own house.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I cant go dig up the street and or rip the line from the apartment out. dude. not everyone has its own house.

LOL. What made you think I was talking about the street? When I said entry point, I was talking about the line where it comes into the section of the building you have authority of. If its an apartment you just have to talk to your ISP and landlord.

Also, don't measure ping using Minecraft or Opis. Both are fairly inaccurate. For example, it shows 300ms ping to a server on my LAN that I get under 1ms ping to. Instead open command prompt and type:

ping serverIP -t

For example: ping 192.168.1.50 -t

Just keep in mind that 100ms is not bad and could simply be the routing from your ISP to the server creating that delay.

Reactions: Connor Gavitt