Decent Reactor Design.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Also, what should it be wired with and what blocks are best for blocking the explosion? Can be wired right into and MFSU? Or should I get one of these weird new things. LSU or FSU MSUFUF. I'm just making stuff up, but I heard some new energy storage devices were present due to GT possibly?

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
If I can remember correctly, the max EU/t a reactor can reach is 2048EU/t. So I'd say just pop a HV-Transformer onto it and then glass fibre cable leading to whatever. If you have none of that, then either use HV cable or also place an MV-transformer and use gold cable. Though I highly recommend glass fibre cable due to it's very low EU loss rate per block.

EDIT: In case you don't know

HV Cable (fully insulated) - 1 EU lost every 1.25 blocks. Max intake is 2048EU/p (EV.)
Gold Cable (fully insulated) - 1 EU lost every 2.5 blocks. Max intake is 128EU/p (MV.)
Glass Fibre Cable - 1 EU lost every 40 blocks. Max intake is 512EU/p (HV.)

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Energy storage in IC2 is most efficient at the highest tier -- MFSU.

Greg tech energy storage is generally expensive for what it does.

For the 100 EU/t reactor i personally like to stick an MFE right on it. Use the redstone option in the MFE to control when the reactor runs. I haven't looked into how it handles overflow, so I just use emit when empty.

By overflow i mean how a plain generator wastes a ton of energy when it generates more than is being consumed -- a little trickle triggers a new coal or whatever to burn. I imagine a reactor supplying an MFE that is set to run it until the MFE is full would supply an extra 100 EU packet to top it off every time a little is drained (128 is drained, 200 is sent in from reactor). This option in the storage unit i believe is emit when there is space for power -- again not sure how it handle trickle usage, could be wasteful.

You could do one MFSU and attach 100 EU/t reactors to each side and do the same as above.[DOUBLEPOST=1363391218][/DOUBLEPOST]
If I can remember correctly, the max EU/t a reactor can reach is 2048EU/t. So I'd say just pop a HV-Transformer onto it and then glass fibre cable leading to whatever. If you have none of that, then either use HV cable or also place an MV-transformer and use gold cable. Though I highly recommend glass fibre cable due to it's very low EU loss rate per block.

EDIT: In case you don't know

HV Cable (fully insulated) - 1 EU lost every 1.25 blocks. Max intake is 2048EU/p (EV.)
Gold Cable (fully insulated) - 1 EU lost every 2.5 blocks. Max intake is 128EU/p (MV.)
Glass Fibre Cable - 1 EU lost every 40 blocks. Max intake is 512EU/p (HV.)

While reactors can run very high EU/t. You can use a cable/storage unit/transformer sized for the output of the reactor you have made. I have used tin cable on a breeder reactor (5EU/t) for example. And gold early game on any reactors under 128 EU/t.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
Just making a set-up that doesn't have to be changed every time someone upgrades. Besides. GFC isn't hard to get with electrum and diamond dust from nikolite ores. Besides the initial use for the dust (every gold, copper, ect cable ->GFC), I tend to make more of it than I use.

Also, transformers are laughably easy to make. So I tend to use them more often than I should. As a quote I've always seemed to follow "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Ok. I'll just pop a HV transformer next to it and then glass fibre leading to a MFSU. And then from there it should be then transformed to MV and then to LV. ok. This is gonna be expensive.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
If you have to use actual diamonds for the cable (not dust) and you have less than half a stack, don't bother with it. Save them babies for something better. Everything else should be easy to come by at this point if you got some mining assistance (Turtle, quarry, cart, ect.)

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
no mining assistance. Didn't have enough power to make one. I have just over a half stack of diamonds. Also, what should I do about the actual guide for the reactor. My version of Java doesn't support the browser version and when I download the standalone version it just gives me a blank grid rather then the reactor setup the guy linked to.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently building the 100EU/t reactor and I have a question. It says that the Overclocked heat vents have 20 out of 20 cooling? do they come like that when you craft them or do you have to do something with them?

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
I'd highly recommend using a chunk loading mining turtle on around layer 16 then so it picks up every diamond in the area. Just run it on the lava it find and you'll be set. I tell mine to keep digging 10x10 areas (type "excavate 10" and it does it's own thing.) So it's hardly a problem to get him started.

As for the reactor planner, I can't help you there. things start crashing when I try it.

EDIT: for the heat vents, it means it will dissipate 20 units of heat itself. It can transfer more than that though so be careful as by making it transfer more heat than it can dissipate, it will slowly kill itself.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I figured it out. Although i'm slightly annoyed. The website didn't take the actual reactor into account while doing the math so I'm missing a good amount of copper. Back to the mines. -_-