Death Chest

zbayne

Jul 29, 2019
You can not at the moment, that is a bucket plugin and modded minecraft will not likely have direct bukkit support although there are a few projects in the work to remedy this. Bukkit plugins may at some point be easily portable and there are also things like forgeessientials

flamingdratini

Jul 29, 2019
Do you know if there is anything similar that i can use? my players are really upset with the fact that a. they die alot due to some other mods i have and b. mobs steal there items and they never get back everything they dropped on death

*edit: nevermind i just discovered the gamerule keep invitory thingy

ScottWears

Jul 29, 2019
For future reference its /gamerule keepInventory true,

Op if you find a solution please share the full solution so other can benefit

wipiid

Jul 29, 2019
i am looking for something similar, but the gamerule just gets abused cause it is used as fast travel. would love to have a chest style option, that would be like a body/shard run. would still make you be careful and would eliminate the fast travel use

b0h

Jul 29, 2019
Or a tombstone. Something that the owner can just rightclick to recover all his stuff. Then the tombstone gets deleted.
It would still maintain the decay timer, so the lag will not get worse.
It's better to have just one item entity that acts like a chest than many items on the ground, imo.

Reactions: Dravarden

Joseph Pearson

Jul 29, 2019
I have a mod in-progress that I have dubbed TombStone that does just this. It follows the typical Death Chest esque functionality. I have tested it in the FTB-Beta-A and Mindcrack packs and no conflicts and works great with SMP. The tombstone block spawns where you died and captures all items from your inventory and stores them inside. It has 54 slots so no worries about losing items from having too much stuff. It also has the blast resistence of obsidian so it can't be blown up and takes a pickaxe to tear it down. When torn down, if it has any items inside it will drop them, however the tombstone itself will vanish and will not drop itself as an item.

While not finished, I plan to implement death notice text on the tombstone so that it shows the typical death message on the stone itself. I also plan to add a slash command /tombstone that will give a player a list of all of their currently existing tombstones and the coordinates and summary of contents of each (as desired).

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Sounds interesting. You should have some config settings to control behaviour.

1) Tombstone can be looted by anyone
2) Tombstone can be looted by anyone after x minutes
3) Tombstone can only be looted by the "owner"

I think you should have it so it behaves just like a chest, so the tombstone can be left in the landscape, in loving (or not) memory of each death.

Joseph Pearson

Jul 29, 2019
All of the above is either already done or in progress. It knows who the "owner" is but no config yet to set a timer or what the access is. It fully functions like a 54-slot chest and has a crafting recipe so you could make them decoratively for some creepy Thaumcraft storage or something. I'm open to any and all suggestions right now since I just started on it yesterday after reading this thread and doing tons of research for a "death chest" Forge and SMP compatible mod and coming up empty handed :/

Reactions: Flipz

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Excellent! Like the idea of being able to craft them too. Nice job.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Josson's mod seems like something I'd use, do hope this gets completed.
You still get punished for mistakes while exploring, but not so severe that you lose everything you had on you.
Plus the tombstone idea is just neat.

(Ps: Josson = Joseph Pearson, just a lil' abbreviated nick, hope you don't mind. :p)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Any news on this mod? Having suffered a death last night due to lag, lava, and a skeleton archer a death chest would have been great. Had to cheat back in all the items I lost, including a load of XP I had farmed (no automated system in place yet for XP farming).

Speaking of XP, could you do a calculation that turns the players XP (minus 5 which drops into the world) into the equivalent number of Enchanting Bottles? That way you don't lose all of the XP you've gained.

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
While you're waiting for that: in twilight forest (which is in mindcrack) there's an item that allows you to keep part of your inventory on death (the charm of keeping). It allows you to keep your armor and whatever item is active on your hotbar. Four can be crafted to an improved version that saves your entire hotbar, and four of those can be crafted to a version that saves your entire inventory.

Reactions: Flipz

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
While you're waiting for that: in twilight forest (which is in mindcrack) there's an item that allows you to keep part of your inventory on death (the charm of keeping). It allows you to keep your armor and whatever item is active on your hotbar. Four can be crafted to an improved version that saves your entire hotbar, and four of those can be crafted to a version that saves your entire inventory.

This has been my solution to this issue, as it is not very hard to kill a bunch of maze slimes (the creature that spawn the charms) to get a boatload of bronze charms (active item and armor) to then craft up into silver charms (hotbar and armor). I don't have the output to make gold charms just yet (entire inventory and armor) as they cannot be captured into shards it seems. The spawning conditions are also a bit strange so I have yet to ramp up a real grinder for them, sadly.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I still like the idea of decorative tombstones, though. :D

Indeed, especially if they list the cause of death, when you died, and whatnot. It was one of the more amusing features of Terraria that MineCraft has yet to incorporate.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, especially if they list the cause of death, when you died, and whatnot. It was one of the more amusing features of Terraria that MineCraft has yet to incorporate.

That's a good point, it really SHOULD be a vanilla feature (well, maybe not the death chest part, but still). Somebody call Mojang! :p