Dear Greg ....

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I laughed. A lot.

Curiously I only noticed this now, after weeks playing.

2014-01-19_112052_zps1ee481a2.png

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I did not start this thread to bash Greg, and nor I intend it to become so.

I thought I'd share something funny I saw, that probably a lot of people missed. That's all.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't it Factorization that adds the Holy Planks of Sengir as well?
Nope those are from Greg. He made them in response to SirSengir who once said something of 8 Planks around a nether star requirement for GT to get simple items.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
You should take a peak at the console logs the next time you're booting your game. There's a wealth of amusing phrases in there, usually involving Greg.

Here's a few gems:
[SEVERE] Quicksilver Ingots?, Don't tell me there is an Armor made of that highly toxic and very likely to be melting Material!
[SEVERE] 'blockQuickSilver'?, In which Ice Desert can you actually place this as a solid Block?
[SEVERE] Quicksilver Dust?, To melt that, you don't even need a Furnace...
[INFO] Thingy Name: fertilizerOrganic !!!Unknown 'Thingy' detected!!! This Object seems to probably not follow a valid OreDictionary Convention, or I missed a Convention. Please report to GregTech Intergalactical for additional compatiblity. This is not an Error, it's just an Information.
[INFO] Congratulations, you have been waiting long enough. Have a Cake.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Mind explaining the joke for a poor fella with no history on Greg and his supposed shenanigans?

100greenmen

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I think gregtech gets a lot of bad rap from noobs who try to build quarries and notice the change that is while annoying, makes more sense, the rest of the mod is not bad, it's just misconcieved as "pointless" and "waste of time and resources". Personaly I don't care for it but after looking into what the mod adds, I can see why others like it. That being said , seeing joke about gregtech, or the mod itself making fun of the ore dictionary are understandable. It's pretty funny that someone would actually put silly things in the console log and ingame.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Mind explaining the joke for a poor fella with no history on Greg and his supposed shenanigans?

Greg is the mod developer of the IC2 addon called Gregtech. Gregtech was an addon to IC2 that added new machines, materials, items and blocks to bring more content to IC2.
it all started out with some extra multiblock machines, some new items and some changed recipes. but Greg then started changing basic IC2 recipes/machines aswell. the problem was that Gregtech was included in a FTB pack at that time, and not everyone liked it that Greg changed IC2 recipes aswell. but then Greg started changing vanilla recipes aswell, and at one point even started changing recipes and codes from other mods aswell. ofcourse alot of people did not like this, including mod developers.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
I think I will remain uninformed until I get to a computing device with a screen than can display more colors than just black and a variety of colors so bright the sun looks dim.

AKA Whatever it is, my shit screen isn't letting me see it.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Please don't turn this thread into the 2397234th GregT bashing thread. Some people like it. Some people hate it. Deal with it.
Greg is the mod developer of the IC2 addon called Gregtech. Gregtech was an addon to IC2 that added new machines, materials, items and blocks to bring more content to IC2.
it all started out with some extra multiblock machines, some new items and some changed recipes. but Greg then started changing basic IC2 recipes/machines aswell. the problem was that Gregtech was included in a FTB pack at that time, and not everyone liked it that Greg changed IC2 recipes aswell. but then Greg started changing vanilla recipes aswell, and at one point even started changing recipes and codes from other mods aswell. ofcourse alot of people did not like this, including mod developers.

I think the cherry on the cake was (at least that's how I heard the story - please correct me if I'm wrong) when devs started to deny use of mods. FTB is built on the model that all mods are used with explicit permission from their respective devs. Once Greg starting putting his finger in other people's mod recipes, some devs decided that if GregT is in the modpack, they won't allow theirs to be in the same pack - which ultimately lead to the split into 2 packs of FTB Unleashed (without Greg) and FTB Unhinged (with Greg - minus the other mods). Of course this leaded to the pro and against Greg wars.

Reactions: RedBoss

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I ... do not care for 'the greg tech balance' I don't see the point of bashing him, or his mod. His recipe overrides are all configureable so any one installing gregtech can choose whether they want the total conversion (and in my idle moments Ive considered mods that would require a re balancing of vanilla mechanics to make sense), limited conversion, or the traditional quarry recipe but optional greg tech endgame progression.

The FTB pack(s) that distributed GregTech *chose* which of these configs to ship, server operators choose how they want their server to play, and SSP players too, can install GregTech, and choose what experience they want with it.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I think the cherry on the cake was (at least that's how I heard the story - please correct me if I'm wrong) when devs started to deny use of mods. FTB is built on the model that all mods are used with explicit permission from their respective devs. Once Greg starting putting his finger in other people's mod recipes, some devs decided that if GregT is in the modpack, they won't allow theirs to be in the same pack - which ultimately lead to the split into 2 packs of FTB Unleashed (without Greg) and FTB Unhinged (with Greg - minus the other mods). Of course this leaded to the pro and against Greg wars.
That's not quite how I heard it. I just heard that both sets of devs were having trouble keeping up with changes in compatability and balance (Greg would change a vanilla recipe, or one for Buildcraft {Which might as well BE vanilla, at this point}, and other devs would have to scramble to put their mod back where it should be in the tech scale). Eventually, it was decided to just stop supporting Greg's alterations. If it broke something, complain to him. Which lead to having the Unleashed pack, and the Unhinged pack, which was created with Greg, to follow his view of how things should be.

That sounds more amicable than the other versions, so that's what I'm going to believe.

To be honest, at this point, people are quite relaxed about the whole thing, and have just got to a "live and let live stage". There'll always be people wanting a fight, but there's not shortage of arguments from the past to dredge up there:
- The Tekkit debacle
- The RedPower Abandonment
- The Dartcraft Overpowerment

Plus the standard squabbling over difficulty and overpowered-ness that becomes the background. If you accept sometimes people just want to fight, let them get on with it, and let it die down, it'll be easier for everyone.

Reactions: Esheon