Dark Aura Node + MFFS Wisp Zapper help?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
So I've decided that venturing into the barrow mound next to my house to clear out wisp infestations is dangerous and foolish. I'm now endeavoring to build a glass sphere around the aura node to encase any invading wisps and an MFFS system to zap them at the press of a button.

Currently my experiments have shown that a projector with the sphere module will generate the sphere with the projector at it's centre. Is there a way to generate a sphere on top of the projector so I don't have to stick my projector inside the node it's self? I'd like it to look good as well as being functional. I may move the node into far end of my thaumcraft room and dress it up with runes and such.

Also what is the spawning radius of the wisps from the node? How large does a sphere have to be to fully encase any wisps spawning from it?

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Wisps spawn pretty much exactly on top of the node, maybe one block away if it's blocked.

the minimal sphere could be tiny, a radius of 2 blocks will catch them all. Of course you shouldn't build the machine on top of the node as that will prevent wisp spawning so flux will do other bad stuff instead.

Personally I'd go for a small glass sphere with a charged tesla coil in the room in this case. I'm using turrets behind iron bars in my setup.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Wisps spawn pretty much exactly on top of the node, maybe one block away if it's blocked.

the minimal sphere could be tiny, a radius of 2 blocks will catch them all. Of course you shouldn't build the machine on top of the node as that will prevent wisp spawning so flux will do other bad stuff instead.

Personally I'd go for a small glass sphere with a charged tesla coil in the room in this case. I'm using turrets behind iron bars in my setup.

Oh, well inside the mound they seam to be on both floors and all over the place. I assumed they spawn all over the mound, but you're saying they spawn inside it and move outwards?

Could you post a picture of your caged node with the turrets? That sounds fantastic.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, well inside the mound they seam to be on both floors and all over the place. I assumed they spawn all over the mound, but you're saying they spawn inside it and move outwards?

Could you post a picture of your caged node with the turrets? That sounds fantastic.
Sure, but that'll be later tonight :)

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
There you go. This room is part of my thaumcraft tower, which is still a work in progress. I'll record a tour once it's done :)

Here you see the turrets:
wisp farm turrets.png

There are 5 of them, in small alcoves with iron bars to let them see. They're high up so that I can walk around the node area without getting shot. The wires link up to a lever and let me push the turrets up a block so they have no view. That lets me do maintenance when required.

The trick is the hole in the roof - it means wisps will eventually path outside and pass through the turret aim. I'm going to have to add 4 more turrets though, some wisps are escaping right now.

wisp farm collection.png

When the wisps are killed, their essences drop on the ground. I have a perceptive wooden golem in the dog pen over there that picks up all the spoils and sticks 'm in an ender chest that I can access from inside. The dog pen is necessary, because hostile wisps will shoot your golems if they're standing unprotected. I later found out golems can open and close doors just fine, so I could have simply made him a small shack with a wooden door. The two dirt blocks are to allow the golem on top of the crystals if the essence drops there. That won't be an issue once I've added a bunch more crystals to either wall.

As you can see my node is overcharged because of the crystals. It spawns wisps at a slow rate, but enough that I can do a big part of my spellcasting using just wisp essences. Plus getting the occasional extra malum and alienis is always a welcome bonus.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Man if only there was a Vis to MJ/EU I'd be all over a reactor using over charged nodes.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Man if only there was a Vis to MJ/EU I'd be all over a reactor using over charged nodes.
There is, the Magic Energy Extractor (name from memory, sorry if it's incorrect) from GregTech. It's quite a high tier item though. But be careful, it can rip a hole in your nodes all over the place if you let it running for too long.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
There you go. This room is part of my thaumcraft tower, which is still a work in progress. I'll record a tour once it's done :)

Here you see the turrets:
View attachment 1788
There are 5 of them, in small alcoves with iron bars to let them see. They're high up so that I can walk around the node area without getting shot. The wires link up to a lever and let me push the turrets up a block so they have no view. That lets me do maintenance when required.

The trick is the hole in the roof - it means wisps will eventually path outside and pass through the turret aim. I'm going to have to add 4 more turrets though, some wisps are escaping right now.

View attachment 1787
When the wisps are killed, their essences drop on the ground. I have a perceptive wooden golem in the dog pen over there that picks up all the spoils and sticks 'm in an ender chest that I can access from inside. The dog pen is necessary, because hostile wisps will shoot your golems if they're standing unprotected. I later found out golems can open and close doors just fine, so I could have simply made him a small shack with a wooden door. The two dirt blocks are to allow the golem on top of the crystals if the essence drops there. That won't be an issue once I've added a bunch more crystals to either wall.

As you can see my node is overcharged because of the crystals. It spawns wisps at a slow rate, but enough that I can do a big part of my spellcasting using just wisp essences. Plus getting the occasional extra malum and alienis is always a welcome bonus.

Awesome! Thanks so much. I hope you do a tour of your base some time. :D