Currently I have my walls design, but I have no idea how to organize stuff. Advice?

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone. I recently created another FTB world, and i'm really enjoying it so far.

I first created a small shelter, while I built my bigger house. I am having, however, some problems when it comes to where to put stuff. I already have most of the necessary materials from on mining trip, but I should go on another one pretty soon (missing copper). Here's a picture showing off how it is currently:

http://imgur.com/ysqxnNB

(sorry, I don't know how to place images directly)

If you want a world download, just ask! I currently need to get:
  • A basic machines room (Macerator, Compressor, BatBox, etc);
  • Smelting;
  • Storage;
  • A door (really: I just don't want a simple door, I want something that occupies more blocks but can be used to get it/out).
And later on, brewing + Thaumcraft too. Farms will go into another place I already prepared.
Please, I have no idea how to organize it!
Thank you!

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Well, storage should be pretty easy (just section off the barrel room, whether that be with fences or a plain ol' wall).
Machining... that's another story. I mean, if you're like me/Direwolf20/a great deal of Minecraft players, you'll be wanting to keep that up against or flush with the walls (it looks nicer that way), so personally I'd section off the room you already have for smelting, and just use that.
As for the bigger doors, sorry. You're going to have to wait until you have Redpower Frames to get a bigger door than 2x2.

Hope I helped! ^-^

Reactions: joaopada

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Well, storage should be pretty easy (just section off the barrel room, whether that be with fences or a plain ol' wall).
Machining... that's another story. I mean, if you're like me/Direwolf20/a great deal of Minecraft players, you'll be wanting to keep that up against or flush with the walls (it looks nicer that way), so personally I'd section off the room you already have for smelting, and just use that.
As for the bigger doors, sorry. You're going to have to wait until you have Redpower Frames to get a bigger door than 2x2.

Hope I helped! ^-^

Well, I'm sure with a little clever piston work, one could theoretically make an automatic, lever/button-controlled door of any size. I've seen people use pistons to make the entrances of their base look like a very convincing hill side.

joaopada

Jul 29, 2019

Hope I helped! ^-^
Thanks, yes you helped! As for the rooms, I kinda changed the way it looks right now, i'm building sort of separate rooms, circular rooms, for each stuff: Machines, which will be pretty tall as I want to set up each Macerator + furnace (thermal expansion) for a different main ore, so I can come back from a mining trip, stick everything in a chest and it'll do everything automatically; Storage (that one will be pretty close to the machines, so I can sort out stuff) and so on. And thanks for the flush idea, I didn't remember that :p. And yeah, I thought so about the doors... :(

Thanks again![DOUBLEPOST=1360009053][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, I'm sure with a little clever piston work, one could theoretically make an automatic, lever/button-controlled door of any size. I've seen people use pistons to make the entrances of their base look like a very convincing hill side.
I am sort of an indermediate redstoner. I tried making bigger piston doors than a common jeb door, but I failed miserably, and it wasn't even compact. So, yeah. I'll just wait a bit and do that redpower frames thingies. Thanks for your help though :)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ha, not a problem. If its any consolation, I can barely piston my way out of a wet paper bag. Most advanced piston tech I've ever implemented is a cobble generator, lol.

nicholasiv

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say start off with a logger once you get some diamonds and use that for fuel/storeage. Next step would be move away from manually mining, I think the most resource friendly route would be to process scrap into scrap boxes and open them with a dispenser/deployer onto a obsidian pipe or hungry chest, this along with igneous extruders and generators burning some of the scrap gives you significant and varied resources over time that supplement you're mining, this is where the real organization steps in, I'd recomend using redpowers filters along with barrels as it's easy to setup, alternatively a router fed by a hopper or two with barrels is another strong way to go. The ratio of recyclers to generators you wanna have is 10:1, later on you can get much higher efficiency by burning scrap boxes in a boiler connected to steam turbines. To save on rendering and reduce server lag don't remove scrap from recyclers place an automatic crafting table next to the recycler and pump out already made scrap boxes (they can access the inventory of the recycler without issue)

If you go the obsidian pipe route but don't have diamonds use the igneous extruder to mix lava and water for you, or make a mold to visit the nether to get the netherwart you need to learn about hungry chests (not for the chest themselves but a prerequisite), you can get glowstone before going to the nether for the recycler from visiting a thaumcraft villagers tower on the ladder half way up.

Another key item in item generation without uu-matter would be an uncrafting table from the twilight forest mod, not for any bugs but for what it does intentionally. You can uncraft, for example, torches into coal (though you can make them out of charcoal) which allows for coal farming from exp and wood (which you can both get from a tree farm), you can also uncraft a torch into beeswax for capsules, uncrafting a cake then crafting a cake turns 9 exp levels into 9 iron (you can use an alloy furnace or macerator/pulverizer/rock crusher to turn the buckets into useable iron or uncraft them) Also greg tech requires a compressor to make an anvil and an uncrafting table will allow you to repair items without one, and without risking it being damaged. Farming zombie pigmen, druids, or collecting rare drops from zombies/skeletons or from the lich king can give gold quite easily with an uncrafting table to process their armor/tools. As well as being the only way to obtain Fire blocks in game (from uncrafting chain-mail collected from villagers or dungeon chests in twilight forest)