Current world after redpower 2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

spudy12

Jul 29, 2019
Just a general query, what will happen to my current world after red power 2 gets added?
I know that the bits that have been generated and visited already won't have any of the new stuff etc, but will the rest of it get it?

Spud

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, any ungenerated chunk will be generated using Redpower's additions if it is present.

ananon

Jul 29, 2019
based on information I've seen on here this might not be possible. The itemID's are changing and while it might be possible to make the item id's the old ones it will be a pain. It is also been suggested that the FTB beta pack will be sunsetted.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah if there's a lot of configuration changes and a lot of mods in/out current beta worlds aren't going to be easy to keep without crashing every now and again. Depends if the FTB mod pack developers take keeping existing worlds into consideration when making the new packs.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
You know, perhaps the developers of the mod pack should try to develop a "world converter" - take a world save that was generated using the configurations of FTBBeta, and convert them to the ones that will use the new pack. There is already a program called mIDas that does it one at a time, so I don't see what would be wrong if the developers ask if it would be alright to create a FTB only version of the program.
Or, better yet, someone could just post the IDs that would need to be changed, and in what order, for safe conversion from one pack to another. Either way!

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
Also, RP's volcano code has always been a little weird, using some kind of post-chunk update with a separate random seed to make the volcanoes. No one knows if this has been changed in the latest version. So there's a chance for weird volcano issues if you add it to an existing world.

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
My understanding was that any FTB pack is going to standardize on ID's/Configs, so packs can better inter-change or they can make a pack on the fly.

However, an older world not created with FTB and being made could cause problems, if not do a full chunk reset on most your stuff. Sometimes, starting from scratch is the best answer.

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
It's one of the main reasons I haven't really switched over to FTB just yet and continue to run my own 1.4.5 deal for now. Once they get RP2 for 1.4.5 I'm kissing Magic Launcher goodbye.

spudy12

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm I see. Well it's not a world I converted to FTB, its one we started when the mod pack came out. Hopefully they are going to standardize the block ID's as this seems like a no brainer in making mods easy to use add / remove. I guess we'll just have to see.

Either that or a world converter tool would be cool!

We would start again, it's just we've started about 7x this year with new mc updates, moved to tekkit, then FTB and we all really like FTB its just such a faff having to start over.. again!

Thanks for your replies!

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately they did not start standardizing the block ids until the magic pack came out. So any world created with the beta pack would not be compatible with the other packs unless they provide a converter. This is a very common issues with any and all mod packs especially when ever a mod is added or removed.

spudy12

Jul 29, 2019
any news on if they are going to create a converter as I doubt I'm the only one with this problem? :p
Apart from this the pack is great!

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
No word yet but I'm sure if they do not make one than someone in the community will. Just take the normal step of preparing your self to the possibility of losing everything when they update.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
That won't protect you from the block ID changes that will cause the game to crash especially if they have tile entities tied to them. All that will do is add extra mod content to a already existing world that did not already have said mods content.
Shouldn't cause it to crash, just mod items and blocks will disappear like when Technic 7 came out.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think many worlds would survive the towel needing mess that would occur the night RP releases... sigh.. oh the mess.