Curious problem with chat

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bloodfrost

Jul 29, 2019
I would of posted this in tech support, however i have insufficient privileges so, instead of that i'll just ask a general question to see if anyone has had these issues.

I run a personal server on my PC that my wife and i both connect to via local area network. I also have 2 other friends that connect to this server as well over the internet. We don't voice comm because .. well they don't like it i guess. So our means of communication is via chat in game.

Seemingly random sometimes when chatting you will post the message, it will do nothing, and then after awhile it will disconnect you from the server with error "end of stream". This has only occurred while chatting. I have looked through the forums and seen no one speak of this issue, i have looked on google as well.

Once you get the failed message, IE you type it, hit enter and nothing happens, you are basically disconnected... any blocks you remove will be back, anything you do will be reversed, yet at the same time i could still see players moving around. Basically what we currently do is if it happens, we just disconnect and reconnect, problem solved.... for a bit.

Has anyone had this issue or does anyone know any possible solutions for it? If so, let me know, if not, ah well.

Thanks for your time.

Edit - I apologize, i should point out i am running the current version of the Mindcrack Addon pack, however we were running the Beta version of FTB before Mindcrack was released and this is a problem that happened with both packages. To my knowledge if i recall correctly, this was also an issue i had even running Vanilla Minecraft over a year ago.

Edit - Also, i am running Java 64 bit version, this problem has persisted through several version of Java so i wont bother posting my version unless specifically requested.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
That isn't a chat issue. someone is running out of memory, or there is a hiccup in the connection and the client data isn't properly sent to the host server.

Bloodfrost

Jul 29, 2019
It must be server side, for this few people and a world size of 146 meg, and with 4 people on the server its memory use is ~450 mb. my PC is a Intel Core i7 <first gen> and i have 9 gigs of ram. I dont experiance any latency issues with my PC while running both server and client on it. As well this issue happens to me while i'm playing via LAN on my PC upstairs while my PC downstairs is dedicated server.

i do allocate extra memory to the server... the odds of this being My main personal PC and upstairs PC and my 2 friends over the internets PC is highly unlikley.

It must be a server problem? or a glitch of some sort... possible setting issue.

Edit - It is possible as well it could be an internet issue, however i did have this problem with a 15 mbps download and ~0.7 upload before... i currently have a 29 mbps average down and 2.78 average up.... for only 2 internet clients i would assume this to be sufficent.

Edit - I suppose more information as well, i should note that when this problem starts to happen? it happens a lot more frequently... and a server restart normally hushes it down for quite a few hours.