Cubic Chunks! Cubic Chunks!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should Mojang impliment Cubic Chunks?

• Yes. That would be awesome!

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • Maybe. I'm not sure it possible though.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • No.

Votes: 18 24.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Well, those videos are useless. Both those mods were abandoned long, long ago.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
The original Cubic Chunks mod is probably not something to point to as showing the possibilities. I've used it, and, yeah maybe the potential was there but it pointed out the flaws. The theoretical performance gains never materialized, the terrain generator had issues, the lighting engine freaked out regularly, and the mod itself never made the transition to the new Anvil save format.

It just shows that while Cubic Chunks might be a good idea on paper, actually implementing it would take a near ground up rewrite of Minecraft.

Feel free to try it yourself. Get MultMC or MCNostalgia to crank Minecraft back to the proper version. Try playing for even fifteen minutes. Then realize that was the result of months of coding.

It is a great idea. It just isn't practical to implement this late in Minecraft's development cycle.

WatcherInTheShadows

Jul 29, 2019
If you wish to look like anything other than a troll, I would advise against ad hominem tactics.

Otherwise
Well...

Wasn't ad hom.
I said the post, not the person.

[DOUBLEPOST=1382758640][/DOUBLEPOST]
The original Cubic Chunks mod is probably not something to point to as showing the possibilities. I've used it, and, yeah maybe the potential was there but it pointed out the flaws. The theoretical performance gains never materialized, the terrain generator had issues, the lighting engine freaked out regularly, and the mod itself never made the transition to the new Anvil save format.

It just shows that while Cubic Chunks might be a good idea on paper, actually implementing it would take a near ground up rewrite of Minecraft.

Feel free to try it yourself. Get MultMC or MCNostalgia to crank Minecraft back to the proper version. Try playing for even fifteen minutes. Then realize that was the result of months of coding.

It is a great idea. It just isn't practical to implement this late in Minecraft's development cycle.

No.
It highlights a partial implementation in which all the bugs were not worked out by one person.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Wasn't ad hom.
I said the post, not the person.

[DOUBLEPOST=1382758640][/DOUBLEPOST]
No.
It highlights a partial implementation in which all the bugs were not worked out by one person.

May I point out that Minecraft was originally coded by one person? And is coded currently by 3?

And the problems point out exactly how big the scope of the project is. The chunk system is the heart of the game, and EVERYTHING else touches on it. The lighting engine, mob spawns, terrain generation, every last bit of the game would have to be rewritten to handle the change over. It would take months to implement, and maybe years to debug fully. Which would halt all other plans that Mojang has for the game in the meantime. Not going to happen anytime soon, not likely going to happen ever.

You aren't the first person to find the idea of a bigger Minecraft world compelling, btw. Trying to find a way to increase world height has been a thing almost from day 1. A good solution, a working solution hasn't been found in four years and Mojang has stated numerous times that they have no interest in rewriting the current chunk system themselves. We only got the height increase to 256 because it was trivial to do in the Anvil format. Please note that terrain generation in vanilla Minecraft STILL stops at 128 and only is changing just now.

This is a dead subject, and no amount of enthusiasm on your part will change that.

The very fact that all attempts to mod the world height died 2 years ago and no one has made a serious attempt since should be a big clue by four about how much interest the community as a whole has for the idea.

Reactions: RedBoss
Status
Not open for further replies.