crushed ice and other fluids.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ixiboneheadixi

Jul 29, 2019
just wondering, what is crushed ice for, what mod is it from and how do you get it? also what are allthe fluids in the game? my goal right now is to get a big iron tank full of every fluid. when i load up the game in the console thing with all the text it lists a ton of stuff like fluid obsidian and stuff idk if thats in the game or not.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Crushed ice is basically just a 'fluid' form of ice. From looking through NEI the only way to get it is with a squeezer using ice shards and a snowball. I know xycraft adds a liquid version of every dye, and recently gregtech added all of his cells to the fluid registry so you can pump those around. The molten metals I haven't figured out, including the obsidian.

ixiboneheadixi

Jul 29, 2019
Crushed ice is basically just a 'fluid' form of ice. From looking through NEI the only way to get it is with a squeezer using ice shards and a snowball. I know xycraft adds a liquid version of every dye, and recently gregtech added all of his cells to the fluid registry so you can pump those around. The molten metals I haven't figured out, including the obsidian.
thank you, seems like there is many more liquids now than a while ago haha. ice shards are only from the wintry bees or whatever are they not?

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Crushed ice cools buildcraft combustion engines for much longer than water. I haven't tested how much better, but it is significant.

Might work in other fuel spots that use water, but i think combustion engine was the main intended use.

Not sure if you can use most of the gregtech fluids outside a cell, but in liquid form you store them in railcraft tanks, which scale up massively. Then put them back in cells when needed.

ixiboneheadixi

Jul 29, 2019
Crushed ice cools buildcraft combustion engines for much longer than water. I haven't tested how much better, but it is significant.

Might work in other fuel spots that use water, but i think combustion engine was the main intended use.

Not sure if you can use most of the gregtech fluids outside a cell, but in liquid form you store them in railcraft tanks, which scale up massively. Then put them back in cells when needed.
what are all the gregtech fluids if anyone happens to know

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Hydrogen
Deuterium
Tritium
Helium
Wolframium
Chlorite
Sodium
Calcium
Berylium
Methane
Carbon
Silicon
Helium-3
Lithium
Potassium
Nitrogen
Mercury
Sodium Persulfate
Calcium Carbonate

All gregtech, all capable of being stored in tanks now

Reactions: NosePicker5555

ixiboneheadixi

Jul 29, 2019
Hydrogen
Deuterium
Tritium
Helium
Wolframium
Chlorite
Sodium
Calcium
Berylium
Methane
Carbon
Silicon
Helium-3
Lithium
Potassium
Nitrogen
Mercury
Sodium Persulfate
Calcium Carbonate

oh this is gonna be a fun time getting all those in tanks.

and anyone know about all the molten metals and everything

Honza8D

Jul 29, 2019
Hydrogen
Deuterium
Tritium
Helium
Wolframium
Chlorite
Sodium
Calcium
Berylium
Methane
Carbon
Silicon
Helium-3
Lithium
Potassium
Nitrogen
Mercury
Sodium Persulfate
Calcium Carbonate

are you sure? i think at least carbon doesnt have liquid form, and for example wolframium also doesnt look like it should be liquified

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Very sure. some of them are gases though, like nitrogen but they are still capable of being put in tanks. Wolframium is the liquid form of tungsten in this case, you obtain it by putting tungsten dust in the industrial electrolyzer. Doesn't have to make sense.

WhatGravitas

Jul 29, 2019
I think, especially in the case of the GregTech cells, it's better to think of these things that can be handled in a way similar to liquids instead of being literal liquids, i.e. things like dust, sand, gels, liquid suspensions and granulate.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Would you not usually put gases in tanks? But anyway, its Minecraft, its not like it needs to be completely realistic.

WhatGravitas

Jul 29, 2019
True, gases, too - probably quite appropriate in the case of Helium-3, Deuterium, Hydrogen and so on. Essentially, everything that's more of a homogenous, amorphous mass instead of a distinct block/item.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
While crushed ice is better as a coolant than water there is no need to do the extra work for it since you can use the aqueous accumulator anyway.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
It is possible for Combustion Engines to outpace an Aqueous Accumulator in some situations. Crushed Ice would be good for squeezing every bit of potential speed from them.

SerTrollface

Jul 29, 2019
True, gases, too - probably quite appropriate in the case of Helium-3, Deuterium, Hydrogen and so on. Essentially, everything that's more of a homogenous, amorphous mass instead of a distinct block/item.
Think of Railcraft steam. Steam is a gas (the gas form of water), but it goes in pipes.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
It is possible for Combustion Engines to outpace an Aqueous Accumulator in some situations. Crushed Ice would be good for squeezing every bit of potential speed from them.
Aqueous Accumulators need two water source blocks beside them to work at full speed and then one can provide enough water for even a maximum sized high pressure steam boiler so surely it will then also keep a combustion engine filled.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, I don't recall who it was and what thread it was in, but someone ran tests and managed to get the Combustion Engines to use up more water than the Aqueous Accumulator could provide. I'd have to go digging around through the forums to find it again.