Creosote vs Seed Oil for bees

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Noticed recently that you can make impregnated sticks with creosote oil instead of seed oil. It seems odd because creosote is so abundant in large quantities if you make coal coke at all, but seed oil you only get 3mB per seed and it takes absolutely forever to get it in any sort of quantity. Plus the squeezer requires 250MJ per seed to squeeze it I think. Very costly to produce. Is there any reason to make seed oil if you can just use creosote to make your frames with?

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Oh great. So the crazy amount of work to set up, and energy to operate this pumpkin farm was pretty much unnecessary. :p

pumpki10.jpg

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Oh great. So the crazy amount of work to set up, and energy to operate this pumpkin farm was pretty much unnecessary. :p
pumpki10.jpg

You would probably get 500%+ yield if you used IC2 crops instead.

Actually I'd wager closer to 800.

isnowcrash

Jul 29, 2019
I work on tree breading at the same time i work on bee breeding for the most part. One small multifarm with sweet chestnut trees produces enough to fill my 10 alvearies with 3 frames each and have plenty of frames left over. I did use creosote to make impregnated casings for my alvearies before i got my trees going but i didn't want to run a bunch of coke ovens 24/7 and end up with tons of coal coke i would never use.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using creosote for a while now.

Consumes the stuff so slowly, I seldom have to stock up the coke ovens.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I'm really happy you can use creosote now. Before you were pretty much forced into tree breeding to get anything that could supply enough seedoil to supply a large alveary farm.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Does it use either one at the same rate? If it uses more creosote oil to make an impregnated stick than seed oil, then it may still be worth making seed oil. If not, probably not.

Another consideration may be the fact that creosote is still not 100% renewable, as easy as it is to come by, where seed oil is.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Does it use either one at the same rate? If it uses more creosote oil to make an impregnated stick than seed oil, then it may still be worth making seed oil. If not, probably not.

Another consideration may be the fact that creosote is still not 100% renewable, as easy as it is to come by, where seed oil is.

Creosote can be made from making charcoal in a coke oven.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, wood in a coke oven that's right. And wood is renewable. Or bees. I haven't looked into creosote making bees yet. good stuff.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019

I have a steel railcraft tank containing 4k buckets of creosote oil made from renewable sources - cactus and sugar. Not sure whether the pack you're playing includes plugins for forestry, but these make coal coke renewable (they can be crafted into coal coke).

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't really that much harder to obtain large quantities of Seed Oil. It all depends on how you prioritize your builds and activities in your world. Anyone that have large quantities of Creosote probably have a larger set of Coke Ovens or have been playing on the same world for a longer time. Long enough to have done some basic Tree Breeding.

I would think Creosote to be toxic for bees, but I guess that's a different question.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't really that much harder to obtain large quantities of Seed Oil. It all depends on how you prioritize your builds and activities in your world. Anyone that have large quantities of Creosote probably have a larger set of Coke Ovens or have been playing on the same world for a longer time. Long enough to have done some basic Tree Breeding.

I would think Creosote to be toxic for bees, but I guess that's a different question.
and why need large amounts of seed oil for beekeeping? i dont really think there is a need for large numbers of soul or chocolate frame for breeding, so taking few stacks of seeds from a farm from time to time should cover this part. when it comes to actual production it simpler to use untreated frames utilizing ridiculous amounts of strings that can be produced by various mods(BoP/RP2+MFR, SS, something else?).

as to toxicity i really doubt creosote oil being harmful to bees that can eat rocks, books, dragon eggs or absolutely nothing.

Recon

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how to mass produce string. There's the Spidery bees which could do it, but then I'd have a crazy amount of useless spider eyes too. I was thinking having a pen of sheep tended by a harvester would be better perhaps. Not sure if its a better solution than automating the impregnated frames though.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
PfF is OK mod, but some of the options seem too easy. I would disable creosote for bees (or change values 10 or 20 times) and crafting Forestry fertilizer from MFR one. Choice of parameters in Unleashed make Forestry farms "competitive" with MFR ones by making them easier, taking away interesting mechanics (e.g. saltpeter respawning). Maybe for me creosote seem cheap, because I rush coke ovens on the begining for rails and I end up with a lot of it. However cans for everything are too useful to pass on and it is 100 % configurable (and Open Source!).