Creosote vs Seed Oil for bees

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how to mass produce string. There's the Spidery bees which could do it, but then I'd have a crazy amount of useless spider eyes too. I was thinking having a pen of sheep tended by a harvester would be better perhaps. Not sure if its a better solution than automating the impregnated frames though.

You can farm natura cotton in a harvester and craft it to string

Reactions: Loufmier

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
and why need large amounts of seed oil for beekeeping? i dont really think there is a need for large numbers of soul or chocolate frame for breeding, so taking few stacks of seeds from a farm from time to time should cover this part. when it comes to actual production it simpler to use untreated frames utilizing ridiculous amounts of strings that can be produced by various mods(BoP/RP2+MFR, SS, something else?).

This thread was about how to obtain Seed Oil compared to Creosote and the underlying question was asking if using Creosote was "too easy". That was how I read it anyway. And that is what I answered.

In relation to your question I can say that I don't have ExtraBees installed. This means no Frame Housing and no need for frames past the production of Alvearies, but I still make Seed Oil. It can be used as fuel in Biogas engines and it's currently how I power all my forestry systems.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
This thread was about how to obtain Seed Oil compared to Creosote and the underlying question was asking if using Creosote was "too easy".
creosote might be "easy"(i really hate the sound of this word int such context) if it`s utilized as byproduct of power production, but when creosote is a targeted product i`d say it`s easier to produce seed oil instead.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
creosote might be "easy"(i really hate the sound of this word int such context) if it`s utilized as byproduct of power production, but when creosote is a targeted product i`d say it`s easier to produce seed oil instead.

I wouldn't actually say one is easier than the other. If I wanted to target creosote(Assuming BoP is installed[badlands for clay]) 20 or so coke ovens being fed by a 5x5 or so IC2 crop sugar cane farm(MFR harvested) would produce absolutely silly amounts of creosote with relative ease. The advantage here is the lowered power consumption(no need to power a squeezer or 10) but the disadvantage is time to produce it.

On the other hand a 9x9(Or 23x23(emerald?) if you want extremely silly amounts of seeds) IC2 crop pumpkin farm(MFR harvested again) could make arbitrarily high numbers of seeds to squeeze. The advantage here is the extreme speed of production(Doing a time test for an emerald sized pumpkin farm to see how much is being produced per hour but a rough estimation would be 24k seeds an hour) but the disadvantage is a much steeper energy cost.

So really it depends on how you play and the stage of the game you're in. If you're trying to run an alevary farm seed oil would likely be the most effective without going on an extreme scale of coke ovens(200-500). By that time the power is no longer an issue for a large bank of squeezers.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
For me, being able to use creosote is nice since I never go crazy with bees. I've only ever gone through to Imperial (is that right?) bees and got bored. For those that actually go caving, creosote is also nice to get going with bees since you can find bottles of the stuff as dungeon loot.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't actually say one is easier than the other. If I wanted to target creosote(Assuming BoP is installed[badlands for clay]) 20 or so coke ovens being fed by a 5x5 or so IC2 crop sugar cane farm(MFR harvested) would produce absolutely silly amounts of creosote with relative ease. The advantage here is the lowered power consumption(no need to power a squeezer or 10) but the disadvantage is time to produce it.

On the other hand a 9x9(Or 23x23(emerald?) if you want extremely silly amounts of seeds) IC2 crop pumpkin farm(MFR harvested again) could make arbitrarily high numbers of seeds to squeeze. The advantage here is the extreme speed of production(Doing a time test for an emerald sized pumpkin farm to see how much is being produced per hour but a rough estimation would be 24k seeds an hour) but the disadvantage is a much steeper energy cost.

So really it depends on how you play and the stage of the game you're in. If you're trying to run an alevary farm seed oil would likely be the most effective without going on an extreme scale of coke ovens(200-500). By that time the power is no longer an issue for a large bank of squeezers.
well, for my playstayle it`s "easier" to supply squeezer with seeds and power than building coke ovens. so there you have it.

i`ve already mentioned alveary farm part if that of any interest.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I also use the creosote, and I'd honestly prefer it if I could get my actual alvearies this way as well. I utterly fail at power systems, though, so thus no MFR to get me silly amounts of anything (yet). :p

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
and why need large amounts of seed oil for beekeeping?

If you actually use the bees you bred for production you tend to use a whole bunch of alvearies with frames. I have 25 and they eat frames like there's no tomorrow.[DOUBLEPOST=1378745680][/DOUBLEPOST]
well, for my playstayle it`s "easier" to supply squeezer with seeds and power than building coke ovens. so there you have it.

But do you actually use the bees for large scale production of anything? Just the breeding part is no biggie, I actually did everything with the oblivion frames I got and probably used 15 soulframes in total. But for the actual production you need a lot of them.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
If you actually use the bees you bred for production you tend to use a whole bunch of alvearies with frames. I have 25 and they eat frames like there's no tomorrow.
i had about 20 alvearies myself, when i played ultimate last time. all of them had 9 frame housings. it was quite easy to supply them with excessive quantity of untreated frames abusing MFR flax and tree farm with IC2 fertilizer from scrap. i`m pretty sure BoP cotton can do the trick instead of flax for latest versions.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I actually have the creosote oil for frames disabled. Seed oil was a bit difficult at first as I didn't really have my farms completely automated yet. Once I started doing some basic tree breeding, it got a lot easier.

Now, I am overflowing with seed oil and will likely turn it into lava or something else useful.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
I just realized that the ability to use Creosote to make impregnated items is something added by "Plugins for Forestry" and not RailCraft. I thought it was strange for CovertJaguar to add something like that.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
(Doing a time test for an emerald sized pumpkin farm to see how much is being produced per hour but a rough estimation would be 24k seeds an hour)

I overestimated it. It produces 66% of that. So roughly 16k seeds an hour. Maybe 18k. Melons would probably be able to reach 24k but you'd need something to place and break the melons you get from IC2 crops.

Either way a barrel of pumpkins an hour isn't so bad eh?