Creation of "Lost Research Guide for Thaumcraft 4.1"

Koosemose

Jul 29, 2019
As Succubism is seemingly no longer going to be maintaining her wonderful cheat sheet, it seems to me that we have a need for a replacement of sorts. Now, with the new research system it doesn't need to be quite as detailed as her cheat sheet, so I though I would try my hand at creating a sort of mini-cheat sheet for the lost research. really just a simple list of what scans open up what lost researches. As it seems there are some cases where multiple things can unlock a single lost research, I'm quite certain I won't be able to find all of them myself, so I would like to get assistance, any unlocks you've discovered, please reply with them here, and once I've at least got the basics I'll go ahead and make an official post.

I've only just started researching what unlocks what, and wasn't paying close attention in my main world so I've got to confirm a few more things before I add them.

Research
Magical Metallurgy
Iron, gold, Thermal Expansion Copper (presumable all metals?)

Bone Bow
Bow

Mirror Magic
Ender Pearl

Tiny Spectacles
String, Any Color Wool, Darkwood Bow, Fusewood Bow

Tiny Fezzes
String, Any Color Wool, Darkwood Bow

Tiny Bowties
String, Any Color Wool, Ghostwood Bow

Tiny Hats
String, Any Color Wool, Bloodwood Bow
Golem Mace
Any Vanilla Sword, Arrows

Golem Dart Launcher
Any Vanilla Sword, Arrows

Golem Iron Plating
Leather, Vanilla Armor

Golem Visor
Leather, Vanilla Armor

Ethereal Bloom
Crusted Taint (I suspect any of the taint stuff will do it)

Staff Core of the Primal
Primal Wand Focus

Wand Focus: Primal
Hold Primal Charm in your hand for a while (it may be possible that it will work in your inventory as well, will test later)

Wand Focus: Nine Hells
Fire Bat

Lamp of Growth
Wheat

Lamp of Fertility
Seeds

Brain in a Jar
Zombie Brain

Last edited:

Koosemose

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I am stumped on the Primal Staff Core, Primal Wand Focus, and Wand Focus of the Nine Hells. That's probably it for today, if anyone has any leads on those three, or other items that open up other lost researches, please let me know.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Succubism is busy making the 4.1 version of the Cheat Sheet. I think there's a Google Doc atm. Regardless, I think she'll still like this.

Staff Core of the Primal is from holding a Primal Charm in your hand for a while. Primal Core may be Wisps and I bet Nine Hells is Firebats.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Koosemose

Jul 29, 2019
Really glad you mentioned the primal charm, I would never have figured that one out on my own, not sure I like that as a mechanic, don't see what would lead anyone to holding a thing that doesn't do anything in their hand... I guess I'll hafta hunt down some bats and wisps in my test world.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
I got the primal focus research note from combining knowledge fragments. Not sure if that's the only way to get it.

And it's reasonable that someone may hold the primal charm for a while, as it has a random chance to refill your wand aspects by a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Koosemose

Jul 29, 2019
I got the primal focus research note from combining knowledge fragments. Not sure if that's the only way to get it.

And it's reasonable that someone may hold the primal charm for a while, as it has a random chance to refill your wand aspects by a bit.

The problem is that unless I just had a total reading failure, even that is not obvious by reading the thauminomicon, of course perhaps that's the intent, for it to be obtuse to learn those last few things naturally, the problem of course is it only pushes people to use outside sources, which rather defeats the purpose of having an in game guide (aside from research being a gating technique).

Heh that's actually the entire reason I started creating this, I got fed up with not being able to figure out those last few Lost Researches and was looking around the net for a guide and couldn't find one, So I decided I'd research the information myself in a test world. Of course it turns out half my problem was that I'd started this world in 4.0 and had already scanned several of the things that led to lost research.

Also do you guys think I should go for completeness on the things that can have multiple items giving their clue, or just be happy that there's at least one guaranteed thing?

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
Of course it turns out half my problem was that I'd started this world in 4.0 and had already scanned several of the things that led to lost research.
You got to keep your research after the upgrade? I lost everything.. I had to start over from scratch.

And it's definitely harder the second time around.. I have less aspects to work with since I've already created all of my machinery so I am missing out on scanning each individual component during manufacture.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently you get get Magical Metallurgy... from stained clay. It's worth a bit of metallum so I scanned it and got the hint.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Primal charm is from holding a primal charm in your inventory long enough. I got three hints from the charm so far in horizons

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
As Succubism is seemingly no longer going to be maintaining her wonderful cheat sheet, it seems to me that we have a need for a replacement of sorts.

EPYxue9.gif

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously though, I've got no problem with this. I'll make a little somethin' in the OP of the cheat sheet to direct people here.
7lC9I.png

Last edited:

Koosemose

Jul 29, 2019
If I was wrong in my assumptions, I apologize. And thanks for the link.
By the way, would you happen to know if there's a method to give yourself a ton of all the research aspects ? Aside from /tc aspects. Its a bit annoying to either have to do that for all the aspects or eat a bunch of knowledge fragments and combining.
Seriously though, I've got no problem with this. I'll make a little somethin' in the OP of the cheat sheet to direct people here.
7lC9I.png

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it gives you small amount of random research points.

Do not waste them by eating them. They're still handy for lost research you aren't able to scan for.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Koosemose

Jul 29, 2019
Excellent, that should be tremendously useful. Perhaps I should look into coding an addon for all the stuff I'm currently doing manually or by poking at level.dat, like unlocking all the non lost research, resetting my lost research clues, and what I haven't scanned. Should be fun. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1394195287][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, it gives you small amount of random research points.

Do not waste them by eating them. They're still handy for lost research you aren't able to scan for.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Yeah, I only eat them in my test world. Well aside from a few in my main world after I mistakenly thought they didn't work for lost research (didn't realize you shouldn't shift click them at the time).
Also, perhaps I shouldn't refer to every one-use item used on right click as "eating" but it sure does make for funny mental imagery.

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that unless I just had a total reading failure, even that is not obvious by reading the thauminomicon, of course perhaps that's the intent, for it to be obtuse to learn those last few things naturally, the problem of course is it only pushes people to use outside sources, which rather defeats the purpose of having an in game guide (aside from research being a gating technique).

Heh that's actually the entire reason I started creating this, I got fed up with not being able to figure out those last few Lost Researches and was looking around the net for a guide and couldn't find one, So I decided I'd research the information myself in a test world. Of course it turns out half my problem was that I'd started this world in 4.0 and had already scanned several of the things that led to lost research.

Also do you guys think I should go for completeness on the things that can have multiple items giving their clue, or just be happy that there's at least one guaranteed thing?
Trust me, you don't want an in-game cheat sheet shows you everything. Discover some by yourself, learn some from others, and dig out the most hidden stuff with all kinds of ridiculous experiments, that's what a fun game /mod should be

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

dmf444

Jul 29, 2019
Just a few other things I noticed that you need for certain items. This is a list I compiled while testing TC 4.1.0e

Thaumaturgy

Wand Focus: Nine Hells = Fire bats
Wand Focus: Primal = Primal Charm
Staff Core of the Primal = Primal Focus

Artifice
Mirror Magic: Endermen, ender pearl, nether portal, end portal/portal frame?
Lamp of Growth: Wheat, arcane lamp
Lamp of Fertility: Seeds, arcane lamp
Bone bow: Bone, string, bow
Brain in a Jar: Zombie brain, angry zombie, giant angry zombie

Alchemy
Magical Metallurgy: Iron (or any item with the Metallum aspect)
Ethereal Bloom: Anything taint related (with the vitim aspect)

Golemancy
Tiny Hats: wool
Tiny Spectacles: glass, wool, string
Tiny Bowties: wool
Tiny Fezzes: wool
Golem Dart Launcher: sword
Golem Visor: armor (i.e. Chestplate, leggings)
Golem Iron Plating: Armor (same as above)
Golem Mace: Tools & sword (Axes, picks, swords)

*For all golem addons, wool/string is needed. Should you have scanned string or wool prior to TC4.1, try enchanted fabric & thaumaturge’s robes

Also, all items here are Vanilla or TC

Thees

Jul 29, 2019
I scaned the item for mirror magic, brain in a jar and primal focus few days ago.
My thaunomicon dont show me the icons for the research.
how can i still get the research notes?