Crates replacement?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

cloj63

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently swimming in scraps, I don't have the ressource for a matterfabricator right now, but my quarry put out so much cobble and dirt that I already have more than 200x64 scraps. I tough putting all does into crates would be helpfull to reduce inventory space, but found out it was removed from Forestry.
Is there another thing that could replace this?

Mayhem48

Jul 29, 2019
Check out the Barrels from Factorization. Standard ones store 64x64, upgraded ones are... a lot bigger.

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
factorization has barrels which i can hold a ridicoulus amount of 1 type of material so that might work to your needs

EDIT: dammit Mayhem48 types faster than me

Reactions: Confidential1207

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Barrels work fine with BC pipes, as long as you set them up right. Stuff is intended to go in the top and out the bottom. If a barrel is empty, the first stack will still go in the bottom, so keep that in mind.

The other issue I ran into was that BC pipes don't insert into the first available storage unit. I had to use a diamond pipe on each barrel to make sure all of the product would go in.

Reactions: Sirbab

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
The question is rather why would you want to store cobble in the first place, slap 5 ignious extruders to a chest and they'll produce new cobble for you faster then you'll be able to use it.
Personaly i've got a barrel full of scrap and a barrel of cobble that's kept topped off by a single ignious extruder and recycler.
Every single piece of cobble, sand, gravel or dirt that get's spit out of my quarries get's to travel trough exactly one pipe before hitting a void pipe.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Because I build with Cobble! Roads and streets and sidewalks and walls and floors...In Isabella II cobble looks very nice :p

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
Barrels work fine with BC pipes, as long as you set them up right. Stuff is intended to go in the top and out the bottom. If a barrel is empty, the first stack will still go in the bottom, so keep that in mind.

The other issue I ran into was that BC pipes don't insert into the first available storage unit. I had to use a diamond pipe on each barrel to make sure all of the product would go in.
Oh my god
I love you

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with meldiron.

Infinite Cobble Gen from igneous extruder
Infinite Sand and Gravel gen from igneous extruder + pulverizer
Infinite dirt gen from igneous extruder + pulverizer + peat bog OR any farm + compressor + macerator

personally if I'm using a lot of a resource, I like to have something that creates an unlimited amount in a finite space. so far my list of renewable resources without using uumatter or scrap is

all forms of stone (and mossy variants), sand, gravel, obsidian, charcoal, peat, creosote, seed oil, biomass, biofuel, all plants that reproduce, iron, gold, diamonds (this one is slow as hell), redstone, blaze powder, tin, ender pearls, lava, slime balls

oh the wonderful things you can do with bees, a steam boiler and a centrifuge hooked up to a turbine :D

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
I have to agree with meldiron.

Infinite Cobble Gen from igneous extruder
Infinite Sand and Gravel gen from igneous extruder + pulverizer
Infinite dirt gen from igneous extruder + pulverizer + peat bog OR any farm + compressor + macerator

personally if I'm using a lot of a resource, I like to have something that creates an unlimited amount in a finite space. so far my list of renewable resources without using uumatter or scrap is

all forms of stone (and mossy variants), sand, gravel, obsidian, charcoal, peat, creosote, seed oil, biomass, biofuel, all plants that reproduce, iron, gold, diamonds (this one is slow as hell), redstone, blaze powder, tin, ender pearls, lava, slime balls

oh the wonderful things you can do with bees, a steam boiler and a centrifuge hooked up to a turbine :D
you forgot glass and flint
since furnaced sand -> glass (which i suppose also leads to glass panes)
and pulverized gravel -> flint

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
I tried not to include such products or else I'd also have to say pistons, most types of engines, doors, ender dust, sulfur etc. I did include some of the weirder ones (rock crush gravel into gold and diamonds), slimeballs from bees and soon to be redpower cow milking machines.

it's also worth noting some of these have more than one source. gold can be got from lava, aurelia and the rock crusher for instance.

cloj63

Jul 29, 2019
cobble is some building as well as crafting material. It is usefull to keep some. And if your quarry pumps out that much, why making another machine to do that? But again, that was not even what I wanted to do; I personnaly transform all cobble/dirt/sand/gravel from my quarries into scrap, but I caped the 64 stack limit of the barrel in just a couple hours. I did not know we could upgrade those, thank you for the tip (forgot to reply srry...). Now it has capped again at 1024.... still waiting for that 8th iridium to come out before using them...

Very curious about how you make diamond from renewable resource? The only way I knew was with coal, but that is not renewable...

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, crates are back in 1.4.5 version of Forestry. For scrap you can just make scrapboxes, they work in mass/matter fab exactly like 9 scrap. You can then just dispense overflow of them to get enough of wooden hoes to change all the world to farmland (and maybe some more useful things).

cloj63

Jul 29, 2019
does that actually work; the rock crusher? Never saw a diamond coming out of that....

And if crate are coming back; that would be really awesome and usefull, while it will cost me a s**t ton of wood to make enough crate....

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it does, takes about 90min (average) to make one diamond though from what i could tell, also get roughly 2 golden bars in that time.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
VoidPipe.png

I agree with tedyhere, Isabella II cobble looks nice.