Crates replacement?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
No. Waste of sources *cough cough*

If a resource is renewable it is not wasted.

E: Oh and BC isn't the only way to make a diamond but everyone seems to have a hard-on for BC so whatever.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure everyone's aware that you can make a diamond out of coal with IC2, but that has nothing to do with the storage, usage, or disposal of mass cobblestone or the like. Railcraft's Grinder's chance of producing Diamonds is being brought up as the excess of cobblestone can be used for that purpose.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
No it was brought up because the thread creator asked a user about making diamonds renewable when said poster listed off all of his resources that are renewable. Don't try to mini-mod. It doesn't suit you.

Oh and for the OP coal becomes renewable once you have EE3. Then again you could just go ahead and make diamonds from renewable metals at that point.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
My mistake as to why. I should have known better than to rely on memory, especially with how often similar threads come up. That doesn't change the fact that Coal is not currently renewable though, leaving the IC2 method out of the potential for renewable Diamonds. Plentiful, maybe, renewable, no.
I would also like to know in what way is that considered mini-modding? Do you consider all debate or correction (whether the actual correction is itself correct or not) mini-modding? I only addressed your statement, not posting behavior.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Coal is renewable if you have EE3 which I can't imagine why someone wouldn't add in the per-release for 1.4.2 if not on Magic.

I consider people to be acting as mini-mods when they correct other people in a "as a matter of fact I am right" manner rather than a suggestive one.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Hoff, you can't always judge a book by its cover! Silvas may just happen to type in a "as a matter of fact I am right" way! On another note, barrels are pretty good for excess cobblestone, if you are going to use it as a building .aterial you could always recycle some, but I'm assuming thats what your saving them for.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
stoppit both of you or else ye will draw the baleful eye of an actual mod to this godforsaken thread.

err.. ahem. We should also not confuse renewable for "I have as much as I want". It costs resources to set up sources of renewable building material. 1 Infinite cobblegen is not enough to power scrap for multiple mass fabs. You may feel you need to supplement your recycling with more cobble. Or maybe you are going the crusher -> diamond route and you want to make 12 or so crusher in order to pull diamonds at any sort of rate. Note 1 infinite cobblegen doesn't provide enough gravel through pulverization in order to feed a crusher forever, and you do NOT want to waste a crusher crushing cobble to gravel in order to recrush in other crushers.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
How would it be a waste to have a dedicated grinder for the cobble if it's being used to produce a product that you want?

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
Because you'd need more than one and they're made from what you're trying to get. If you have the crushers set up in parallel (being fed from outside gravel, say from a pulverizer) Then they will all pay for themselves in the time it takes a crusher to create 12 diamonds. If you have a dedicated crusher making gravel for each crusher, not only are you wasting space but you are also doubling the time it takes to pay for itself, since now you have to produce 24 diamonds out of each crusher in order to start making profit. I agree it will eventually pay for itself just like the other setup will, but the other one is cheaper to set up and pays out quicker.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Recipe for crusher makes 4 crusher blocks, not 4 crushers. One crusher is 3x2x2 multiblock structure, so it uses 12 blocks (12 diamonds).

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I somehow missed that all-important detail on the wiki! Probably because I only saw the recipe in NEI and didn't read the relevant wiki page :p