Crash on world load

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
In case you wanted more info, this is what appeared to be happening... (thanks to some of the IRC people for filling in the blanks!)

It cant connect to get the version number, so it grabs the one from the file.
This version number seems to be null
The chat then barfs trying to output a message that has a null in it.

Thats a guess, but its either that, or its dying just trying to get the version in the first place. Given that the top of the stacktrace is about chatmessages though, its probably a cascade effect of not being able to get the version number, rather than not being able to get the version number itself thats caused it.

*shrug* - the fix I posted above seems to have been confirmed to work so far.

Reactions: verid

oppositeZERO

Jul 29, 2019
Makes no sense why VPN's got around it, Worked fo r me and atleast another, shrugs...

Think it was a coincidence as it's working now -.-

Stoo42

Jul 29, 2019
Makes no sense why VPN's got around it, Worked fo r me and atleast another, shrugs...

Think it was a coincidence as it's working now -.-
Actually makes perfect sense that the VPN worked. If it can get to the site, it uses the value there. Since it cant get to the site, it tries to use the internal value, which happens to be "null", this causes the fault. As long as you get to the site, everything is fine. The second you cant get there, the lack of internal value causes problems.

But you're right, it could be coincidence, if the network is back, that would fix it also.

oppositeZERO

Jul 29, 2019
Actually makes perfect sense that the VPN worked. If it can get to the site, it uses the value there. Since it cant get to the site, it tries to use the internal value, which happens to be "null", this causes the fault. As long as you get to the site, everything is fine. The second you cant get there, the lack of internal value causes problems.

But you're right, it could be coincidence, if the network is back, that would fix it also.

Oh yep, makes so much sense, missed the part where you said it couldn't connect to get the version number.

Cheers :)