Crafting Lag(different modpacks)

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Title Crafting Lag(different modpacks)

Launcher Type Vanilla

Modpack Regrowth

Modpack version 1.0.0

Have you modified the pack? Yes

Link to log file N/A

Details of the issue Any one know how to stop crafting lag on servers? That lag spike isn't much most the time. Go to craft a few stacks of something and the server freezes for the other players while it is processing it. I've seen it in other packs as well. I don't know what the correlation is though. (space astronomy being the latest I played. Someone crafted a few stacks of furnaces and I think i got kicked that time from the lag.) It happens in single player to on packs. Just the worst on servers, where it effects the entire server.
the auto assemblers and such don't seem to get that lag. Just anything with manual crafting.

http://pastebin.com/wJnn1xM9 this is a paste of the current customizations to Regrowth. (found last week this is a good place to keep such things, so when I set up a pack I can reference the note in pastebin for my preferred setup.)

Edit:
I have googled the issues and the only relevant information I found were said to be fixed in a update that happened two years ago to binnie's mods(i checked the versions of those mods in this pack and they look to be past that version. Everything else I have found seemed to relate, but not fully.

Den_baron

Jul 29, 2019
i can only be of little comfort by going OHH GOOD YES PLEASE SOMEONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS !!
i own a DW20 1.7.10 version 1.10.0 server and we have this lag all the time. most times when someone crafts an item or simply uses the crafting table the server CPU will drop to 0 for a few seconds and then everything will continue.
I've done the same searches as you and find exactly the same things about older modpacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
You biatches give enough RAM to your servers?
4GB of RAM. Its on a online server. Though that isn't the only hardware the issue has been on. Servers on my pc, others dedicated servers. I had issues on multiple packs. Different setups, different hardware.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Profile the server with Warmroast, or Opis, or your tool of choice whilst crafting and see what turns up.

Den_baron

Jul 29, 2019
Well from my server side the lag looks like the block of 0 cpu. Client side you can move just not interact with anything. I'll give warmroast a try, opis doesn't turn up anything.
XibIQrt.png

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Profile the server with Warmroast, or Opis, or your tool of choice whilst crafting and see what turns up.
I looked into wormroast earlier and won't be using it. It has been two years since a update. Requires to many things to get up and running. Then there is more after that.

OPIS was recommended before as well. I looked it up and it said it could only handle entities and tiles entities. Going to have to look into it though. Eventually.

Thinking right now the easiest would be elimination. If it is a mod doing it, then eliminating it from the pack should do it. Then I can focus in on the issue from there. Going to try the most likely mods first and just work my way through them. Will have to set up a test area in my test world for regrowth to make it easier to check. shouldn't be all that complex to setup and do though.

Edit:
Might actually look into WarmRoast later. Just seems overkill for this. If I keep this server long term it will probably be a extremely useful tool. It says hooking into a remote server should be no issue. So using it should be possible.

Edit:
Trying out disabling different files. Spent more time adding to my batch script then actually testing. I wanted a easier way to get the list of files that I had disabled. Should really add a rename part to to take that .d off when I am done testing a set of files.

Found disabling these files had no effect on the lag in single player:
craftingtweaks-mc1.7.10-1.0.82.jar.d
CustomMainMenu-MC1.7.10-1.1.jar.d
fastcraft-1.23.jar.d
InventoryTweaks-1.58-147.jar.d
LaunchGui-1.7.10-1.5-8-client.jar.d
MouseTweaks-2.4.4-mc1.7.10.jar.d
TiCTooltips-mc1.7.10-1.2.5.jar.d

Waila-1.5.10_1.7.10.jar.d
WailaHarvestability-mc1.7.10-1.1.6.jar.d
WAILAPlugins-MC1.7.10-0.2.0-23.jar.d

Got to try NEI's files next.

Edit:
neiaddons-1.12.14.40-mc1.7.10.jar.jar.d
NEIIntegration-MC1.7.10-1.1.2.jar.d
NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.5.120-universal.jar.d
thaumcraftneiplugin-1.7.10-1.7a.jar.d

Not for sure it is a mod. Wondering if it is related to the number of recipes. Though why that would have an effect I don't know. Need to check vanilla and Jira to see if it is a thing in that.

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Tried testing it in vanilla. Isn't really all that easy to test. As vanilla only does one craft at a time. Wonder what is allowing the crafting of entire enventories of stuff. Might give that a look. It isn't any of the mods I disabled. I was still able to complete the test sequence with them disabled. Unless a mod from two different groups added the function.

Here are my current methods to repeat in modded minecraft:
Code:
Disable some mods
Load game
Wait until FPS in game goes above 50FPS
Get 16 stacks of cobble out of a creative vending barrel.
Put stacks of cobble in a Forestry Worktable
Set the worktable to craft furnaces.
Shift click the furnaces.
Game locks up for a few seconds.(this gets much worse depending on the crafting)
Going to give a few different thing a try now. Random stuff really. See if any of it has a result. I'm really drawing nothing off this exercise so far for answers.

Edit:
Turns out there are a few mods in the pack that do this. Not for sure of all of them. Crafting Tweaks does it. NEI does it. I've never disabled all the mods that do this. Might give that a shot now.

Edit:
Disabling NEI isn't really a option, and I can't figure out how to disable crafting stacks in it.

Taking a break for now. Been at this to long and tired of it. Want to play, not troubleshoot.

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
https://github.com/AppliedEnergistics/Applied-Energistics-2/issues/127 is the best thread I have found on the matter yet.

I'm thinking this is the most relevant part:
yueh said:
3.0 Shift click crafting. This is a particularly nasty thing.
Currently it extracts each required item once at a time. Thus crafting a stack of iron blocks will extract 587 times a single iron ingot instead of just once 587.
We already calculate how often it needs to craft for a full stack, but ignoring the free space in the inventory. But that can be easily fixed. (I have already a version, which does this).
The hard part is completely rewriting the crafting, that it first does a simulated extract of all needed materials and use this to calculate how many are really possible to craft. Then extract them at once and craft all at once
It looks like the issue has been around a long time and is still not fixed. Not really a AE issue though. Sounds more like a issue with how the mods that do craft stacking choose to craft the stacks.