Configure/Minetweak Forestry to not use Machines/Electricity?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'd like to make a magic modpack (or at least, I have some ideas bouncing around in my head). I don't play much with Forestry or Railcraft, though, so I'd like to include those as well. I've never really played seriously with bees (or railcraft) so I'd like someone to give a walkthrough of what they'd usually do to get to the highest tier bees/use railcraft, highlighting which processes require RF (please detail if you use Binnie's mods or Gendustry; I'm curious as to which one I should use). I do plan on using Botania and Aura Cascade, and I know both of those have RF generators, so a little RF requirement is ok, but thematically I'd like to keep it as low as possible.

Thanks for all the hypothetical help. :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Might want to investigate Technomancy. It has upgradeable RF generators that use mana, life points, essentia and vis directly from nodes as fuel.
However I am not sure if it NEEDs Thermal Expansion for some of its content. The node fabricator needs redstone energy cells and I forget wethet that's Thermal Foundation or pure TE.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Type1Ninja

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Neither Forestry or RC have intrinsic RF wires, though RC does have its own electrical charge power system, but that is likely a disableable module. Due to the lack of wires/cables however, you'd be required to attach an engine or other RF generator directly to each and every machine. If you were to disable the engines, than that just leaves you with your magical power sources like the mana fluxfield.
As for Binnie's vs Gendustry, most people will say Binnie's has gotten too complicated for its own good, and will recommend going with gendustry. There's also the matter that many of the useful bee species you'd be getting for a pack like this have analogues in Magic Bees, (which you should most definitely be including), and I would definitely suggest going with Gendustry for advanced bee manipulation options. The issue is whether you consider Gendustry as not breaking the theme of the pack too much though, as I would argue it has a much more high tech feel than forestry and railcraft, in part due to its hi res textures and the RF apiary. In short, if you think you can survive without DNA manipulation, and are willing to play bees the way they were intended to be played (which most would consider hardmode these days), then I would actually suggest going with Neither Binnie's or Gendustry, just sticking with MB. On that note though, remember that beekeeping does actually have difficulty settings in the forestry configs which might be worth playing around with.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Might want to investigate Technomancy. It has upgradeable RF generators that use mana, life points, essentia and vis directly from nodes as fuel.
However I am not sure if it NEEDs Thermal Expansion for some of its content. The node fabricator needs redstone energy cells and I forget wethet that's Thermal Foundation or pure TE.

The power of MINETWEAKER compels thee! ;)
Neither Forestry or RC have intrinsic RF wires, though RC does have its own electrical charge power system, but that is likely a disableable module. Due to the lack of wires/cables however, you'd be required to attach an engine or other RF generator directly to each and every machine. If you were to disable the engines, than that just leaves you with your magical power sources like the mana fluxfield.
As for Binnie's vs Gendustry, most people will say Binnie's has gotten too complicated for its own good, and will recommend going with gendustry. There's also the matter that many of the useful bee species you'd be getting for a pack like this have analogues in Magic Bees, (which you should most definitely be including), and I would definitely suggest going with Gendustry for advanced bee manipulation options. The issue is whether you consider Gendustry as not breaking the theme of the pack too much though, as I would argue it has a much more high tech feel than forestry and railcraft, in part due to its hi res textures and the RF apiary. In short, if you think you can survive without DNA manipulation, and are willing to play bees the way they were intended to be played (which most would consider hardmode these days), then I would actually suggest going with Neither Binnie's or Gendustry, just sticking with MB. On that note though, remember that beekeeping does actually have difficulty settings in the forestry configs which might be worth playing around with.
Yes. Spam moar magic generators. :p

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into/include Technomancy, and I'll use Minetweaker to make that usable. I'll definitely include magic bees, and I'll probably also include Gendustry. I can also use Minetweaker to rename stuff, so that's not as much of an issue. :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The power of MINETWEAKER compels thee! ;)

Yes. Spam moar magic generators.

But can it tweak out hard dependancies to mods? You could tweak up a new infusion pattern but you may still have that dependancy hard coded in. Plus at what point during loading does Minetweaker inject it's changes? If it's after Technomancy's dependancy checking phase it could still fail to load.

That being said though this is all rendered moot if TE isn't a dependancy. Infact now that I think about it I think removing said dependancy was one of Flog/Mords latest updates. The node fab might even adjust its infusion pattern too.
Might need to investigate that though.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
But can it tweak out hard dependancies to mods? You could tweak up a new infusion pattern but you may still have that dependancy hard coded in. Plus at what point during loading does Minetweaker inject it's changes? If it's after Technomancy's dependancy checking phase it could still fail to load.

That being said though this is all rendered moot if TE isn't a dependancy. Infact now that I think about it I think removing said dependancy was one of Flog/Mords latest updates. The node fab might even adjust its infusion pattern too.
Might need to investigate that though.

I can minetweak out recipe depenencies, which is what I thought you meant. I can also minetweak out any actual machines. :)