Confessions of a Mod/Modpack Dev

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I made Quartz Party out of boredom and cut a lot of corners when making it, not expecting people to actually use it.
I posted it on PMC to see a general reaction..
4XBs7aq.png

And with in a few days, this was here.
To be fair, though this was also in the spotlight thingy
SmJOHQC.png

Forbidden Magic was originally written in Notepad++.
That's a thing? Hmmm, this oddly gives me an idea :p

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
I usually don't let people I help credit me or let other people take credit for things I do because I'm afraid of the attention.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I honestly kinda regret making RFDrills 100% configurable. The reason for that is because I can't rebalance things properly: people will just load in the old config files with older values.

The only solutions for that problem are a) to yell Delete your config files to see changes! in every changelog or b) queitly change the values myself using code (FML apparently allows modders to do that). The second solution could work, but in an incredibly messy way (I'd have to store a "config version" variable somewhere, and then check "if config version equals 1 and Flux-Infused Crusher's RF usage equals 5000 then change it to 3000 and change config version to 2")

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly kinda regret making RFDrills 100% configurable. The reason for that is because I can't rebalance things properly: people will just load in the old config files with older values.

The only solutions for that problem are a) to yell Delete your config files to see changes! in every changelog or b) queitly change the values myself using code (FML apparently allows modders to do that). The second solution could work, but in an incredibly messy way (I'd have to store a "config version" variable somewhere, and then check "if config version equals 1 and Flux-Infused Crusher's RF usage equals 5000 then change it to 3000 and change config version to 2")

Pull a Vazkii. Remove the configs. :3

Or, change the config name so that it no longer reads the old one and generates a new config value.

jss2a98aj

Jul 29, 2019

You could add a config option to use your default values when false and the values users set when true or something similer

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
You could add a config option to use your default values when false and the values users set when true or something similer
Or maybe set it up so that when the config file is generated, all the all the options are configured to be zero or something, and have the mod take that to mean that the value is actually supposed to be whatever the default for that version of the mod is. The actual default value would have to be moved into a comment or something; and players could overwrite the value with whatever non-default number they want to use to have it persist between versions.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'd have to store a "config version" variable somewhere, and then check "if config version equals 1 and Flux-Infused Crusher's RF usage equals 5000 then change it to 3000 and change config version to 2"
Actually I guess this would be a pretty sensible way of dealing with this. Although care should be taken to not change things that need to stay the same (potion IDs etc.)

Confessions? Can't really think of one right now. Maybe I'll remember later...

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
I know this topic is technically dead, but I was looking through some old code from a test mod that I used to play some random ideas I had. Any of the ideas I had that worked well and would fit into LMT quite well would go right in, while I was still working on it. I found an odd class file hiding in the the package I use for scrapped ideas but I wanted to keep for other mods or as a stand alone mod. It was called "TopKek.java" When I opened it, it contained no code, only links to youtube videos, imgur gifs, and a bunch of things I use to shit post. Here is just a taste of what was inside.

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I know this topic is technically dead, but I was looking through some old code from a test mod that I used to play some random ideas I had. Any of the ideas I had that worked well and would fit into LMT quite well would go right in, while I was still working on it. I found an odd class file hidding in the the package I use for scrapped ideas but I wanted to keep for other mods are as a stand alone mod. It was called "TopKek.java" When I opened it, it contained no code, only links to youtube videos, imgur gifs, and a bunch of things I use to shit post. Here is just a taste of what was inside.

Sorry