Computer Craft recipes, overpowered?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
If you really want to think about it. All object ordinated code is basically a fancy way to wrap GOTO into a single command. Everything you call a command from a library your both storing local variables, preforming a goto, and a return command.

I hate to keep ragging on you... but I AM COMPELLED TO REPLY. Sound your nerd whistles for none to hear.

Sorry, but this is not correct at the hardware level anymore. Compilers (and even processors) use the difference between call patterns to help inform cache prediction, which is one of the most important aspects of modern code optimization.

Conceptually, appealing to Von Neuman architecture is pretty shortsighted anyways. We're probably going to start seeing the end of that model within this decade. And what you write out in code can end up having branches or not having branches, or having branches in really funny places. For example, write javascript and feed it to Firefox and watch how the JIT evolves the code over time. Funny stuff, that trace-tree optimization, and it sort of makes the concept of "GOTO" unpredictable.

Everything we type to a compiler: just a suggestion. ;)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I hate to keep ragging on you... but I AM COMPELLED TO REPLY. Sound your nerd whistles for none to hear.

Sorry, but this is not correct at the hardware level anymore. Compilers (and even processors) use the difference between call patterns to help inform cache prediction, which is one of the most important aspects of modern code optimization.

Conceptually, appealing to Von Neuman architecture is pretty shortsighted anyways. We're probably going to start seeing the end of that model within this decade. And what you write out in code can end up having branches or not having branches, or having branches in really funny places. For example, write javascript and feed it to Firefox and watch how the JIT evolves the code over time. Funny stuff, that trace-tree optimization, and it sort of makes the concept of "GOTO" unpredictable.

Everything we type to a compiler: just a suggestion. ;)

Do not bring hard ware into a software comment. Your just waving your e-peen at that point good sir.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Do not bring hard ware into a software comment. Your just waving your e-peen at that point good sir.

I assure you: I have no interest in anything like that. I'm just happy I get to talk about software and when I say, "Continuations", "formal methods" and "monads" the entire room doesn't glaze over and put on an irritated expression: just most of it.

But, you know... it's impossible to write good software without Mechanical Sympathy.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I assure you: I have no interest in anything like that. I'm just happy I get to talk about software and when I say, "Continuations", "formal methods" and "monads" the entire room doesn't glaze over and put on an irritated expression: just most of it.

But, you know... it's impossible to write good software without Mechanical Sympathy.

Vary true. But Hardware and Software are two completely different worlds. Once you get past the compiler level you enter a world that not many coders are even comfortable with. The revise is true not many chip designers and system engineers have any mind set for coding. It is a strange mind that can handle both ends of the house and those folks take home bank.

I'm more a hobbit with programing and a hobbit in electronics. I did basic back on my C64 and I've mucked about in Perl, Vis basic, and flirted with stuff like Vis C. I've even toyed with many of the scripting languages like LSL, HTML, and others. I'm not a pro but I can look at code figure out the basically and kit bash something that works. As an electronics hobbit I know my way around a multi meter and get the basics of the magic circle. I can build simple circuts and understand circuit logic.

But I am not nor will I claim to be a pro at any of this. My hobbit nature is one of the reasons I enjoy the redstone stuff in MC and why I can do basic coding with CC.

And I still think Perl is one of the best all around languages. But I'm kind of an old goat about that sort of thing.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
And I still think Perl is one of the best all around languages. But I'm kind of an old goat about that sort of thing.

I made a lot of good money off of perl back when I was in high school. But you might wanna investigate Ruby 1.9 at some point. Now that the dark 1.8 days are over... Oh and PLT Scheme has some lovely text processing too.

mrkite

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just happy I get to talk about software and when I say, "Continuations", "formal methods" and "monads" the entire room doesn't glaze over and put on an irritated expression

Haskell programmer detected. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I made a lot of good money off of perl back when I was in high school. But you might wanna investigate Ruby 1.9 at some point. Now that the dark 1.8 days are over... Oh and PLT Scheme has some lovely text processing too.
While ruby is a really great and quite powerful scripting language, it has a structure that permit (and often promotes) very bad coding practices.
If you already know enough not to forget your parenthesis and end-lines, and are not whiling to reuse variables, then you are up to a good start, and can greatly enjoy the language.
If not, you will still enjoy it quite a lot, but you will rapidly notice that it becomes quite hard to come back to a more structures and formal language, where you need to end each line with ';' and all that.

That being said, it is sad that the main application that came out off it (rails) was a mixture of really great use of the MVC model, with a touch of an unstable web "server".

Anyway, have fun, I definitely enjoyed my trip in Ruby far more than I did with Lua or Perl.

Back to the topic, when you guys say that the recipe is overpowered (yeah, doesn't make any sense for a recipe, but nevermind), did you actually come up with a cost that could be seen as good?
The biggest point about this mod is that you can use them to do pretty useless things, as well as very useful ones, so putting a high price on these would render useless some of the nice things you can do.
I mean, looking at an ASCII art version of starwars is nice, making a dozen of turtle "dance" looks fun, putting up together a turtle that crafts pickaxes on demand is useless, but fun to do anyway...
All those things would nearly disappear if the cost of the computer and turtle was too high.

Who would use turtles for early wood collection, when waiting for the resources for RC, Forestry or MFR versions, that are vastly more efficient in standard uses?
Who would code a turtle that only digs the tunnels for strip mining?

Sure, you can find some programs out there that make the turtles so powerful that when you compare its function to the costs (building and fuel), it makes it look very cheap.
But if you think about it, many people are having fun with coming up and coding a whole lot of programs, ranging from useless to very useful. The whole point of the mod is to come up with programs that suit your needs. Knowing that it is a pain to type in hundreds of lines in the ingame interface (no real copy/paste, no mouse, no ctrl+arrow, weak indentation, very small characters on screen...), pastebin is a key functionality, even for those of us that like to code their own programs, even if they end up being less efficient.

By the way, you can have a pastebin account, so that you store all your scripts on it (the mod will only post as anonymous though, so you have to do it by hand).