community not alive anymore?

mou

Nov 6, 2019
I noticed that there are almost no new posts in this forum. im waiting for ages for answers on basic stuff and im trying to help others and they dont reply then most of time.

is the time for forums over? Or is the ftb community just not active anymore?

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
I think that most questions that historically became forum posts are now just asked and answered on Discord. The forums remain a useful reference, but they are a lot less active than they used to be.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

mou

Nov 6, 2019
i even feel like this applies to the modded minecraft community. most of them are not open for new developers or helping new players getting into the game. maybe im just getting old.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
There is nothing to stop new developers releasing their mods for them to gain traction. New mods emerge all the time, failing that there are always mods that could use bringing up to date and often the existing maintainer will be open to someone assisting them if their circumstances mean they have less free time to maintain their mods, you just need to ask.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
i even feel like this applies to the modded minecraft community. most of them are not open for new developers or helping new players getting into the game. maybe im just getting old.
I guess each an only make judgement based off their own experiences, but going off what I've seen it seems to be the opposite- the modding community seems far more accessible to noobies now than it was when I was a noobie. -that was almost 10 years ago- you're not getting old yet! :p
In terms of number of modding tools and tutorials available to help people dip their toes in. The same appears ring true for packbuilding, mapbuilding, server setup and operation, and pretty much everything else that involves building a different game out of Minecraft.
(or I started out in a place where such information wasn't as widely available hence the opposite expedience)

mou

Nov 6, 2019
ye i guess everyone has its own experiences though. im also playing since minecraft entered the beta and tried a few times already to jump in to a modproject but either the devs did not respond, had their account set to private or denied it because i had no previous experience in modding. So i kinda gave up and lost interest allthough im a java programmer since like 2003 or something around that time.
Thing is, i want to help out and not to develop a own mod just for the sake of doing "something".

Anyway i'm really happy that a few people answered this and didn't feel offended. But im kinda frustrated by the way the community develops since there is discord.