Coming from 1.2.5, whats changed?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Alright so I am coming from 1.2.5 after being out of the game for that long. I played a little bit of 1.4.5 but not much tbh. I kind of want to know more about alternate ways of doing things or some small tutorials on things. I am fine watching DWs videos and have done so alot but I am more interested in what you guys mainly play with.

For things such as mining/digging/mob slaying/etc. I normally just setup and ic2 smelting setup then I noticed we had a mod called Thermal Expansion so I Started to dig into that and its awesome.

So instead of you guys holding my hand and teaching me all about all these mods I kind of want to explore them myself but still understand what they do (sometimes its not obvious or they have extremely abigious names)

TL;DR: what do you guys play with mainly, please be detailed, armor, various equipment (mining, digging, etc), smelting setups, auto sorting, crafting, etc. Early game, late game, etc. Any info is good info.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
So you're not gonna use any of the other mods except IC2 unless you play without gregtech; He made it so other mods don't work that well anymore. You're gonna have to use his stuff to get to the nether. he also added some cool plate bending machines and stuff.

Also, MFR and TiCo will be your best friends. They are amazing.

Reactions: giesergast

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've got a 1.5.2 mod pack you can download via the Private button on the launcher you can use to get your feet wet with some of the new changes. The code is 'ShneekeyCraft' (caps are important, but not the quotes).

Thermal Expansion does a lot better job of ore processing than IC2, and is a lot more internally automated... you can set a Pulverizer directly adjacent to a Powered Furnace and configure them so that you don't need pipes or tubes or transposers or any of that nonsense, they just hand it off to each other seamlessly. It also introduces Redstone Energy Conduits and Redstone Energy Cubes, giving you the ability to store Buildcraft MJ. It also has Tesseracts which are basically Teleport Pipes done properly. The energy tesseracts do carry a fairly stiff energy loss (20% in the latest version, 25% when it came out, configurable in the .cfg file).

Forestry is included, but tbh, it isn't nearly as good as you remember. All of the different farm types are gone, replaced with a very expensive multiblock. Fertilizer is now only made with Apatite, and while one vein of Apatite can last you for months, it's still a finite resource. However, the backpacks are worth the mod by themselves, and there's a LOT of work that has been done on bee breeding, and now includes tree breeding and even butterflies.

Minefactory Reloaded is an old mod which has been revived by the original mod author. Quite frankly, it's my go-to for automating farms, since it can also automate animals and their resources. It also includes Rednet, which puts even RP2's red wire to shame. It is a very inter-connected mod. The output from one setup can be used to fuel/boost another setup somewhere else.

Anything you remember about Equivalent Exchange 2 is probably best forgotten when playing with EE3. He's gotten rid of a lot of the crap, and it is still very much a work in progress. So far, he's got a Minium Stone, but the ability to transmute is still limited. Sorry, no RM blocks by the second hour due to darkrooms or cows anymore.

There's a new pair of mods, Tinker's Constructs and Natura, which add a lot of really nice options for you. The former includes tools that are actually worth using, and can be obtained fairly early on. It also has an upgrade system which puts Enchanting to shame. Natura adds a bunch of worldgen for you to explore and exploit. Tinkers Construct has in-game documentation for you to read up on, which is pretty amazing.

Railcraft now has Steam technology. A Boiler generates steam, which can then be piped to steam engines (MJ) or Turbines (Eu) to generate power. You can generate quite a bit of power this way, but they tend to be fuel hogs until they get warmed up, then they become the most fuel efficient in the game.

Modular Powersuits is a very innovative little mod which delivers powered armor and tools. Eventually, they can outstrip parts of Quantum, although there are some trade-offs in functionality, and the tool can replace both the chainsaw and the drill and the mining laser, with enough upgrades. It won't be cheap, of course, but it can pretty much suffice for all your mid to late game gear requirements.

In 1.4.x, Redpower 2 has Computers which run off of FORTH. If you don't have much programming know-how, it can be difficult to get them going. If you do, it is super-crazy-awesome.

While I don't have it in my mod pack, ComputerCraft has been a big star lately. Personally, I consider it way too easy. The computers are coded in LUA, which is simple enough that even my eight year old can look at the code and tell what it is doing. Turtles are... well... anything you can do, a Turtle can do automatically. Anything. Oh, and you can Pastebin code and share with others. So even if you don't know how to write code, you can just use someone else's.

IC2 is... well, there's a change to the nuclear reactors. A very huge change. CASUC's are dead, but you really don't need them anymore. The successor, the CRCS, can also net you thousands of EU/t at fairly high efficiency, but require a BUNCH of secondary 'cooling tower' reactors. I also came up with a Tower of Power build, similar to the old watermill towers, which can produce 7k+ EU/t in a Mk. I configuration. I don't have this in my mod pack either.

GregTech... is a push-button topic. Most people either really like it, or really dislike it, and there's almost no middle ground. It changes other mods recipes (or at least other mods have config options which get enabled when it detects GregTech) to make them a lot more complicated. Not more expensive, generally, just more complicated (although the macerator recipe that calls for diamonds, plural, will probably tick you off). For this reason, opponents of the mod call it 'GregNerf' or something like that. I wouldn't necessarily call it a nerf, but it does require a lot more infrastructure, and it requires that you baby your infrastructure, to keep it running smoothly. Recently, he did something rather controversial that pissed a lot of people off. Enough that the thread discussing it got locked by a moderator. So there's at least more animosity than usual aimed at this mod right now.

Applied Energistics. Do you remember Logistics Pipes? Well, Krapht hasn't had a chance to make a new version since 1.2.5 (although someone is updating and maintaining a fork of it), and this mod sprung up to take the place. It isn't cheap to get into, it requires constant power, but it has monumental storage capacity which is automatically sorted, auto-crafting, automated tasks, crafting with other machines, and in general fills the same niche that logistics Pipes did. It is primarily good as a large extended network, but not so much for smaller systems. Generally, one uses another method of item transportation (pipes or the MFR conveyor belts) to bring items from remote locations to a central hub to be picked up by the Applied Energistics network.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
LOADS of stuff.
I recommend watching RR to see what has changed - it's an indie modpack made by KirinDave.
It's kinda impressive how many mods showed up and functions - ever heard of lapis-producing bees, laser drills, lava centrifugion and RedNet cables?

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
LOADS of stuff.
I recommend watching RR to see what has changed - it's an indie modpack made by KirinDave.
It's kinda impressive how many mods showed up and functions - ever heard of lapis-producing bees, laser drills, lava centrifugion and RedNet cables?
You forgot to mention how many different ways to die there is.... Anyway, if you are using Extra Utilities you should make a pair of sonar goggles. It makes manual mining so much easier, just make sure you don't have anything important on you if you try to make one... I died three times before I made mine :/
<Edit> I almost forgot, get one of Extra Utilities watering cans. It makes getting food early on really easy.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
No one has even mentioned the changes in vanilla. Villager trading, witches, bats, crafting improvements, lava that looks like Velveeta.... A LOT has changed.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
No one has even mentioned the changes in vanilla. Villager trading, witches, bats, crafting improvements, lava that looks like Velveeta.... A LOT has changed.
Hoppers, redstone intensity sign finally has an use, dispensers now plant bonemeal, droppers, Nether Quartz, a way to produce Nether Brick by smelting Netherrack, ores drop XP, Jungle and Desert Temples...

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Start out on the direwolf pack. I'm guessing since you came from 1.2.5 the only reason you were still there was either thaumcraft 2 or ee2, so Gregtech might be a little bit too difficult to start out with if you're used to using EE2 quite a lot.