Combustion engine not working correctly

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Jul 29, 2019
I logged onto my world to find that my combustion engine was not running, and i could not turn it on with a lever or redstone torch
Previously i had had a lever on the back of the engine, when i removed i could no longer put it back on
in the end i had to break the engine, causing me to loose valuable biofuel (im still early-game)

any way to fix this?

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Check the power production tab and see if it is cooling down. If it stops/runs out of fuel the Combustion engine won't restart until it's temp reaches 0.

Jul 29, 2019
Check the power production tab and see if it is cooling down. If it stops/runs out of fuel the Combustion engine won't restart until it's temp reaches 0.
oh ok thats interesting...
but also i noticed that the combustion engine was on when i disconnected, but when i reconnected the engine was off, even though it had fuel and the lever on it was still applying a redstone signal

also, are there any ways to cool it down faster?

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
but also i noticed that the combustion engine was on when i disconnected, but when i reconnected the engine was off, even though it had fuel and the lever on it was still applying a redstone signal

You might check if it is on a chunk boundary. Maybe the lever is in a different chunk than the engine.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

If it gets unloaded and reloaded and the switch is across a chunk boundary, then weird things can happen. Make sure it's contained in the chunk as a matter of policy.

also, are there any ways to cool it down faster?

Not that I know of. This is why these engines are sorta frowned upon even though they're actually quite efficient.

Jul 29, 2019
If it gets unloaded and reloaded and the switch is across a chunk boundary, then weird things can happen. Make sure it's contained in the chunk as a matter of policy.

Not that I know of. This is why these engines are sorta frowned upon even though they're actually quite efficient.
well they have two internal tank-buffers,
wouldnt it help to fill the other with water?
and yes they are efficient, they use fuel slowly and with biofuel they produce 5 MJ/t

also how can i see where the chunk boundaries are?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
well they have two internal tank-buffers,
wouldnt it help to fill the other with water?
and yes they are efficient, they use fuel slowly and with biofuel they produce 5 MJ/t
It must be filled with water to run or it will explode.

Jul 29, 2019
It must be filled with water to run or it will explode.
false, mine is running at 4000 degress celcius, no water, no kabooom
and it seems to be running on air... the fuel is empty, yet it still outputs 5 MJ/t
i turned it off (just it case that it might go kaboom)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
false, mine is running at 4000 degress celcius, no water, no kabooom
and it seems to be running on air... the fuel is empty, yet it still outputs 5 MJ/t
i turned it off (just it case that it might go kaboom)

Without water it'll start running and work fine for awhile, but eventually the intended behavior is that it will explode. It basically hits a peak efficiency and just past that is a danger zone for exploding. You will know it is getting close because the engine turns a visibly red hue.

With recent builds of NEI there is a hotkey to show your chunk boundaries. Check your NEI keybindings config.

As for why it might be running the way it is? Buildcraft is an old mod and can be buggy. It's it intended behavior for it to run on 0/0 like that.

Reactions: Hoff

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
At 10,000, it goes boom.

And that isn't a small boom, that is a big boom with a radius of destruction of about 7 blocks (blocks of sandstone).

You need to cool it down with water or liquid ice otherwise it will explode, so think yourself lucky that it isn't working, otherwise you would have a nice big hole where your engine and part of your home used to be.

Jul 29, 2019
At 10,000, it goes boom.

And that isn't a small boom, that is a big boom with a radius of destruction of about 7 blocks (blocks of sandstone).

You need to cool it down with water or liquid ice otherwise it will explode, so think yourself lucky that it isn't working, otherwise you would have a nice big hole where your engine and part of your home used to be.
nah im fine, i let it run to 7,500 then turn it off, once the engine is around the yellow stage