Clicking 'Play' button in launcher does nothing.

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

woodsmith

Mar 9, 2021
Running Ubuntu 16.4. Fresh install of FTB launcher and FTB Revelations. The pack downloads fine, the instance folder exists and is populated.
The problem is that the play button seems to do absolutely nothing. I tried the procedure outlined here (https://help.ftb.team/help/en-gb/4/5) already to no avail.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

DezBossHogg

Mar 11, 2021
So I'm having a similar issue, I am trying to run the latest version of Stoneblock 2, the big difference is that the FTB launcher is counted as if I have played it today. I don't have Minecraft running before I attempt to launch the modpack. The thing that is stumping me is that at the beginning of the week it ran fine and I had just started a new world. Two nights ago when I tried to launch nothing.
Edit: I am trying to play this on a Mac, and I don't have the Overwolf app.

Last edited:

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
If you've ensured that no other instance of the vanilla launcher is running and clicking play does nothing, the process to reinstall the copy of the vanilla launcher that we use is here: https://help.ftb.team/help/en-gb/4/5 it tends to solve most issues like this.

woodsmith

Mar 9, 2021
If you've ensured that no other instance of the vanilla launcher is running and clicking play does nothing, the process to reinstall the copy of the vanilla launcher that we use is here: https://help.ftb.team/help/en-gb/4/5 it tends to solve most issues like this.
Yes, that procedure has been tried.
I also tried the FTB app on a different machine which runs Windows 10, ran into the exact same issue. it was not resolved upon trying the reinstall process outlined above. The new launcher is unusable apparently!

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Yes, that procedure has been tried.
I also tried the FTB app on a different machine which runs Windows 10, ran into the exact same issue. it was not resolved upon trying the reinstall process outlined above. The new launcher is unusable apparently!
That is not the case, we have over 600k installs the majority of which work perfectly fine. There are a small number of users that do have issues that the current workarounds don't work for, edge cases on linux installs is one of those times. While we do support linux, when we prioritise issue resolution and bug fixes we try and fix the things that affect the most users first. Linux fixes is on that list, just not at the top of it.

woodsmith

Mar 9, 2021
That is not the case, we have over 600k installs the majority of which work perfectly fine. There are a small number of users that do have issues that the current workarounds don't work for, edge cases on linux installs is one of those times. While we do support linux, when we prioritise issue resolution and bug fixes we try and fix the things that affect the most users first. Linux fixes is on that list, just not at the top of it.
Fair enough... just very strange that the exact same behavior is exhibiting itself on both Windows and Ubuntu; makes me think it is not platform-specific.

Perhaops I'm doing something incorrectly. Is there a comprehensive, step bystep guide to using the launcher I could follow to rule that out?

SteckBeast21

Mar 16, 2021
Fair enough... just very strange that the exact same behavior is exhibiting itself on both Windows and Ubuntu; makes me think it is not platform-specific.

Perhaops I'm doing something incorrectly. Is there a comprehensive, step bystep guide to using the launcher I could follow to rule that out?
I am also having the same issue, but on MAC oS

SteckBeast21

Mar 16, 2021
That what I had found strange as well, just about to try the suggested way of resolving this issue. Wish me luck.

Edit: So no luck, got any other ideas?
Been working on it all day. Still completely lost and out of ideas. I just don't know where the problem is and I know there is like some corrupt file that I have to delete so the launcher can actually download properly, but I am not willing to risk deleting my weeks of progress in my world and lose everything.

DezBossHogg

Mar 11, 2021
Been working on it all day. Still completely lost and out of ideas. I just don't know where the problem is and I know there is like some corrupt file that I have to delete so the launcher can actually download properly, but I am not willing to risk deleting my weeks of progress in my world and lose everything.
I have done a full reinstall of the launcher and have done the removal of the bin folder and reinstall of the modpack and have seen no improvement. so I have a feeling that I have to install the Overwolf launcher for the FTB launcher to work but that can't happen as the Overwolf launcher does not support Mac. So look's like I'm back to square one.

Reactions: SteckBeast21