Clearing 8 chunks of ocean

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If you are going with the filler option, wouldn't it be easier to use some kind of wood? Then when you are done filling it in, you wall it off on the outside and then set the wood on fire with a wrathigniter.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with the filler option as this the method I prefer to use myself. I place the landmarks 1 block above the water and let the fill do the rest. It will place the sand blocks in the air, since there is nothing to hold it up the sand will fall and be replaced by the filler automatically. The only issue is supplying enough blocks to fill your cuboid space. If you wish to preserve the topography of the ocean floor then I suggest using gavel instead. It will make it easier to see how much to dig out. The only down side of gravel is it can be a pain to source enough to do the job you need, whereas you can easily make sand with an igneous extruder and pulverizer setup.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
The terraformer sounds like it's the most fun if you've got power coming out your ears.

You'd have to have a really complex setup to try to make trees grow in water; the block directly above the sapling needs to be air with 10+ light in it. I don't really know how sponges work.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
The terraformer sounds like it's the most fun if you've got power coming out your ears.

You'd have to have a really complex setup to try to make trees grow in water; the block directly above the sapling needs to be air with 10+ light in it. I don't really know how sponges work.

Well ... bummer ... just tried it. Sponge (openblocks) made a 5x5x5 of air that didn't collapse.
Put down a torch for light. Planted an oak. Used a couple stacks of bonemeal ... nada. Apparently it needs more than 5 blocks of space to grow. Tried other tree saplings too even the slimey one. Nada. They all knew I was trying to do something outlandish and stood in my way. The tree under water idea died this morning. Sniffle. :)

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
Could you not just stack the sponges to make the dry area taller? If so then just add more till you can grow the tree. Once grown the water should still recreate the source blocks when you remove the sponges.

Reactions: Physicist

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
5x5 is cool. I bet if you planted a square area of 4 sponges at max distance in two vertical layers, a tree in the middle would have no choice but to grow.