Clearing 8 chunks of ocean

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an easy way to do this? Pumps do not work. I do not have access to MFFS or Turtles.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I guess if you had open blocks or if you got a whooole bunch of sponges from tossing yellow wool in the rain you could. but it depends on what pack your playing aswell.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
The gregtech advanced pump's tooltip claims it's good for clearing oceans... no idea if it actually has that functionality, though.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
What version of MC are you playing? In 1.4.7 red power had a pump that would work. Open blocks sponge is for 1.6 and it works wonders (wool and slime) Gregtech has something u can use but using gregtech has its own issues.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The gregtech advanced pump's tooltip claims it's good for clearing oceans... no idea if it actually has that functionality, though.

This works fairly well.

Just once your done make sure you never give the water a block update.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the old fashioned way is to box in the area in question and then go to town with gravel/sand. This route is actually remarkably fast for getting rid of water, it's just that you need to dig everything back up. Some sort of automated mining could cure that, though.

If you're on 1.5, pumps should still work in theory. With an REC next to it, I've seen pumps obliterate rivers, so I assume they could do the same for an ocean. If you're on 1.6, though, pumps were changed to not drain large pools of water and just treat them like an infinite source.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well, the old fashioned way is to box in the area in question and then go to town with gravel/sand. This route is actually remarkably fast for getting rid of water, it's just that you need to dig everything back up. Some sort of automated mining could cure that, though.

If you're on 1.5, pumps should still work in theory. With an REC next to it, I've seen pumps obliterate rivers, so I assume they could do the same for an ocean. If you're on 1.6, though, pumps were changed to not drain large pools of water and just treat them like an infinite source.
Sand and a Shovel of the Earthmover, that's how I usually do it. Actually faster than setting up all kinds of stuff to automate it.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use fillers with cobble then clear after, but that can be cumbersome because you have to block the markers in underwater. It also requires a lot of spare cobble or a lot of power for igneous extruders going

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
1st I'd try a reasonably sized quarry plus---I know max size can't handle nothing but water but if you go smaller it probably can. There seems to be a breaking point where it gets stuck with too much water to figure out how to remove/wall in.
2nd I'd try a filler set to fill the top 3-5 layers of water with dirt. Often those are the only source blocks in a large body of water.
3rd I'd have a filler drop sand/gravel from the top to fill it up. Use a quarry to dig the sand/dirt back up and feed it to the next area of water to fill, keep moving quarry and filler until you're done.

Another idea might be angel blocks and OpenBlock sponges. Might be another case where you just have to remove 3-5 top layers with sponges.

The real answer to your question is: "No, there is no easy way. There are a bunch of tedious methods, though." If it is singleplayer you might be able to do something with MCEdit.

Even if you did have access to MFFS odds are good the sponge module would be disabled. Think it is disabled by default to prevent griefing.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Slick method: MFFS force field and a filler. Layout the field and filler area. Fill the filler with sand, then turn on the force field. Fill the area with sand, then kill the force field. The sand will fall all at once and wipe out the water in a single go. Make sure the filler is set up one level above the field. Also, use Thunderdarks MFFS, because Calclavia's doesn't disperse evenly, and will leave source blocks.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry I forgot to mention I'm using 1.1.7 unleashed. I'm on As erver which is why I'm out some options. Tedious is fine I'm just trying to find something better than just dropping sand one block at a time.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
With this Unleashed pack you should be able to use a MFFS forcefield with upgrade to remove water inside the fields borders.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea how to use a filler to do the job, and ive mentioned that I do NOT have mffs

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Use 3 landmarks to mark out your area (power one with redstone if you want the blue lasers to help you line them up) (note: max size is 64x64), right click on the landmark that connects in a straight line to both of other two and you should see a red box around your area. Place your filler next to one of the landmarks (note: place it outside your red box for best effect) and the red box should be replaced by a black and yellow striped box and the landmarks will pop off the ground to be collected. Next get 9 brick blocks (the ones made by smelting 4 clay and crafting them together) and place them in the crafting grid-like part of the filler so that it's completely filled. A symbol should appear in the output section (since I'm running with the crafting UI metaphor). Now supply the filler a lot of sand/gravel and some power. The filler will attempt to fill in the box you laid out with landmarks, but because sand and gravel fall, they will sink and start filling up your area.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with the filler recommendations. You'll have to dig out all the sand but there are some easy ways to do that too, one is using the same filler set to clear out 1 block less that you filled in. Then you could easily change all the walls to whatever you want for your final material with the wand of equal trade.

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
I used filler / quarry combo to clear out a large, circular chunk for one of my projects. There are a couple of pics in the following album that illustrate this. It can be tedious and time consuming, but I had a lot of projects going at the same time so I would take a break once in a while.
http://imgur.com/a/2CflP

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Completely missed the lack of MFFS. You might consider Tinker's Drawbridges instead. Same principle, but I don't know if they'll turn off quickly enough.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
1. Filler from buildcraft, put sand in it. It's been suggested.
2. Terraformer from IC2. Actually, Two terraformers. One with the flattener module. It will place dirt blocks on the same level you place the terraformer (not above or below the terraformer). Takes lots of time. Then place a desertification module into another terraformer. The effect is, flattener makes dirt, desertification makes the dirt turn to sand and sand drops into the ocean slowly ... very slowly ... filling it up and making an island. This takes TONS of time and TONS of power.

Personally though, the filler is the best and most controlled solution. Also it's not one of the items said you can't use.

Now for me just being even more crazy. If you could keep water from flowing onto a sapling and uprooting it (sponge?) ... what would that look like under water? Underwater tree ... I gotta try that tonight. But the reason I bring that up is oak trees grow side by side ignoring leaves. It'd be messy but if ya could plant and grow a bunch of them, they'll take out the water. Wonder if a natura tree would grow out of the water like that. Hmm ... I gotta go try this stupid stuff when I get home tonight. :)