Mod Feedback ChromatiCraft questions and suggestions

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I had the endgame unlock properly on a previous world, I've found the same structures as I did then (all but the ocean temple), and I'm fairly sure I didn't die in that world. In any case, dying is not an option, I'm in a hardcore world atm :\

Is there anything I can do about the 'badly placed fragment'?
Short of cheating, no.

Goof

Feb 18, 2014
Fair enough :\

Manually bumping my research level in the NBT data fixed the issue though. Not the intended way to progress, but it did the job. The mod's been performing almost flawlessly up until now :)

Storytime:

With regards to the pylon network, every time I logged in, the furthest 8-9 colours around my Casting Complex would fail to detect their pylon. Clicking with the manipulator would play that 'error' sound, whereas if I clicked on a colour that I knew was close to my base, the number of hops to their pylon would display as normal. Rituals and crafting recipes using the 'dead' colours would also fail.

I tried to fix this using a chunk loader underneath every pylon entity, but that made no difference. Travelling out to each pylon passing every repeater would fix the issue, but only until I quit the game. It seemed as though each and every repeater block needed to be loaded for the network to function. I then put a ChickenChunks spot loader underneath each repeater. Now I don't have to travel as far down each line before the repeaters respond to the manipulator, maybe a quarter of the way out to each pylon, instead of all the way -__-

Map of the network:
fdOqsyJ.png

Blue & green lines are multi-aural repeater streams, simple green lines are single aura repeater streams. Vadali is at the point where the Kamir/Kijani streams meet.

The black circle approximates my view distance (16 chunks)

The spot loaders definitely improved things, but it would be nice if there was a way to get the network to behave itself without having to babysit it. I know there are others for whom the repeaters work without this happening, but just not for me, for this particular group of mods :\

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Fair enough :\

Manually bumping my research level in the NBT data fixed the issue though. Not the intended way to progress, but it did the job. The mod's been performing almost flawlessly up until now :)

Storytime:

With regards to the pylon network, every time I logged in, the furthest 8-9 colours around my Casting Complex would fail to detect their pylon. Clicking with the manipulator would play that 'error' sound, whereas if I clicked on a colour that I knew was close to my base, the number of hops to their pylon would display as normal. Rituals and crafting recipes using the 'dead' colours would also fail.

I tried to fix this using a chunk loader underneath every pylon entity, but that made no difference. Travelling out to each pylon passing every repeater would fix the issue, but only until I quit the game. It seemed as though each and every repeater block needed to be loaded for the network to function. I then put a ChickenChunks spot loader underneath each repeater. Now I don't have to travel as far down each line before the repeaters respond to the manipulator, maybe a quarter of the way out to each pylon, instead of all the way -__-

Map of the network:
Blue & green lines are multi-aural repeater streams, simple green lines are single aura repeater streams. Vadali is at the point where the Kamir/Kijani streams meet.

The black circle approximates my view distance (16 chunks)

The spot loaders definitely improved things, but it would be nice if there was a way to get the network to behave itself without having to babysit it. I know there are others for whom the repeaters work without this happening, but just not for me, for this particular group of mods :\
They ignore chunkloading and I have never needed to chunkload pylons or repeaters, though chunkloading the former tends to improve recharging.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
So now that I appear to have achieved stability in my pack, I've been able to start exploring ChromatiCraft. It's been very interesting so far, if rather limited due to my very early game setup (read: no Nether access yet). However, there's something that occured to me to ask. One of the 'achievements' in the book is whether we, the player, can get past that layer of rock at the bottom of the world, which of course leads to other things. That's all well and good, but as is my wont, I have included your lovely Void Beast in my pack. This makes it obvious that as I approach that layer of bedrock, it becomes very clear that something extremely angry wants to get me. I've not seen any mention of it in ChromatiCraft thus far, so I was curious: do you have any ideas or plans to potentially incorporate it into the mod in any capacity? It seems like such a shoe-in to me, but then you've seen how I feel about the Void Beast way back when you first introduced the critter.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
It is someone I believe, because doesn't the void monster drop extra knowledge? I could be wrong but I saw some mention of the void monster in the code.

Reactions: Wraithflay

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
It is someone I believe, because doesn't the void monster drop extra knowledge? I could be wrong but I saw some mention of the void monster in the code.
Does it? That's great if so. As I mentioned, I'm really not very far into the mod yet so I can't say if there's anything there yet or not. Did bring to mind the image of my character drinking noon tea at a table at some cafe, with the void monster sitting across from me. Sip my tea, ask 'How was your day?' and get a very typical void monstery response (ANGRY ALL THE TIME), nod sagely and take another sip of tea, followed by void monster doing the same. The idea of a void monster drinking tea made me giggle, what can I say. Then it made me think 'What if I could put those dye tree berries into tea? Mmmm, colourful!' and that's about where it ended. My brain, it is fevered at times.

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
Does it? That's great if so. As I mentioned, I'm really not very far into the mod yet so I can't say if there's anything there yet or not. Did bring to mind the image of my character drinking noon tea at a table at some cafe, with the void monster sitting across from me. Sip my tea, ask 'How was your day?' and get a very typical void monstery response (ANGRY ALL THE TIME), nod sagely and take another sip of tea, followed by void monster doing the same. The idea of a void monster drinking tea made me giggle, what can I say. Then it made me think 'What if I could put those dye tree berries into tea? Mmmm, colourful!' and that's about where it ended. My brain, it is fevered at times.

From when I did it, I got that bit from looking at bedrock...(It's suppose to be a hint system to get you exploring to open the mod up.)

Geekman9097

Jul 29, 2019
So now that I appear to have achieved stability in my pack, I've been able to start exploring ChromatiCraft. It's been very interesting so far, if rather limited due to my very early game setup (read: no Nether access yet). However, there's something that occured to me to ask. One of the 'achievements' in the book is whether we, the player, can get past that layer of rock at the bottom of the world, which of course leads to other things. That's all well and good, but as is my wont, I have included your lovely Void Beast in my pack. This makes it obvious that as I approach that layer of bedrock, it becomes very clear that something extremely angry wants to get me. I've not seen any mention of it in ChromatiCraft thus far, so I was curious: do you have any ideas or plans to potentially incorporate it into the mod in any capacity? It seems like such a shoe-in to me, but then you've seen how I feel about the Void Beast way back when you first introduced the critter.

Voidmonster is not necessary to chromaticraft progression. at the risk of spoilers
the 'get under the bedrock' achievement requires going to the nether.
source: doing it.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Voidmonster is not necessary to chromaticraft progression. at the risk of spoilers
the 'get under the bedrock' achievement requires going to the nether.
source: doing it.

Right, I know what the next step is for that part of the chain, it's just that I found it odd that after clearing the Bedrock 'achievement', it made absolutely no mention of the HORRIBLE NOISES coming from beneath the rock, haha. Granted I'm no modder, so for all I know having flexible text in those things is a nightmare. Much like the void monster. Ehehehehe. The real challenge in progression with the mod so far, for me, is figuring out how to make/do something useful with all this stuff I've put together. Again though, I'm quite early in the mod as far as I know it, so I have much left to do. Visit the Twilight Forest, for example. Never have been able to trigger the 'Are pylons friendly?' thing either. I very much know the answer to THAT particular little achievement, heh. In any case, I'm not asking for help just yet as I'm not stuck yet, so I'm content to explore my world, figure out new stuff (which has been a daily thing with ChromatiCraft so far!), and get my infrastructure going for all this magic!

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Void Monster is a separate mod from ChromatiCraft.
Yes, I'm aware, hence my initial post asking whether there was any interaction between the two mods. Thus far I haven't seen any, but I have much left to explore.
In unrelated news, very minor cross-mod bug report: ChromatiCraft items don't seem to render properly, if at all, when placed inside BiblioCraft Labels. BiblioCraft v1.9.2 and ChromatiCraft v4c.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yes, I'm aware, hence my initial post asking whether there was any interaction between the two mods. Thus far I haven't seen any, but I have much left to explore.
In unrelated news, very minor cross-mod bug report: ChromatiCraft items don't seem to render properly, if at all, when placed inside BiblioCraft Labels. BiblioCraft v1.9.2 and ChromatiCraft v4c.
Probably has to do with my ItemSpriteSheetRenderer.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Just found another tiny cross-mod rendering-related bug. The rings of ChC's TE accelerators (if not some other blocks as well; not tested) render in front of the opaque parts of Mekanism pipes, tubes, and conduits, but not any semitransparent fluid contained within. In the screenshot below, the TE accelerator is next to the Mek crystallizer in the background, but in front of all the transmitters near the middle of the image. You can easily see that it renders in front of the empty pressurized tube on the left, as well as the edge of the water pipe, even though the accelerator is well behind both. Also, while it appears to properly render behind the universal energy conduit, it actually only renders in front of the part of conduit that contains the green stuff, and clips in front of the outer edge of the conduit. It's hard to see in this picture due to the rather unfortunate placing of the aforementioned crystallizer, but if you carefully follow the edge of the conduit, you'll see that the the accelerator does actually clip through.

Had I taken this screenshot from a slightly different angle, you'd see that the accelerator does indeed properly render behind the portion of the water pipe that actually contains water, but not the edge.

Note that this bug only applies to the rings and the starburst thing in the middle of the accelerator, not the particles.

ChCvsMekRenderBug.png

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Just found another tiny cross-mod rendering-related bug. The rings of ChC's TE accelerators (if not some other blocks as well; not tested) render in front of the opaque parts of Mekanism pipes, tubes, and conduits, but not any semitransparent fluid contained within. In the screenshot below, the TE accelerator is next to the Mek crystallizer in the background, but in front of all the transmitters near the middle of the image. You can easily see that it renders in front of the empty pressurized tube on the left, as well as the edge of the water pipe, even though the accelerator is well behind both. Also, while it appears to properly render behind the universal energy conduit, it actually only renders in front of the part of conduit that contains the green stuff, and clips in front of the outer edge of the conduit. It's hard to see in this picture due to the rather unfortunate placing of the aforementioned crystallizer, but if you carefully follow the edge of the conduit, you'll see that the the accelerator does actually clip through.

Had I taken this screenshot from a slightly different angle, you'd see that the accelerator does indeed properly render behind the portion of the water pipe that actually contains water, but not the edge.

Note that this bug only applies to the rings and the starburst thing in the middle of the accelerator, not the particles.
Seeing as his renderer is likely involved, I doubt this is fixable.