chicken farm

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
I want to collect the eggs into a box.

I tried Obsidian pipes, but the egg had to be laid right beside them, so this didn't work. What is a way to do this?

Powered transposers are 3x3 but that would take a lot of them. Unless chicken will lay there eggs on water?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft wooden golems will pick up items lying on the floor in a fairly large radius, especially with the perception upgrade.

Failing that, make a layer of water suspended on signs/ladders inside a frame, and then below that, put some flowing water. Put chickens on the suspended water layer; chickens will never sink, they always keep swimming. When they lay eggs, they will fall through the water into the flowing water below, which transports them off.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
A typical egg farm uses the following principle:
Flowing water which is held up by signs. Chickens will always swim on the top of the water, but the eggs they lay will drop down. Down there is another flowing water, which flows into an obsidian pipe to collect your eggs.
Just remember to add some automatic killing, when your collection-chest fills up.

Edit: I'm too slow for Omicron :)

budge

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno why you guys need two layers. I always have one 5x5 layer with water sources in the corners and a transposer in the middle, and the chickens lay their eggs there just fine.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
I used transposers in the ground. If giving them a redstone pulse they suck a 3x3 area above them. Now i switches to Golems.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I used a variation of shadow dragon's RP chicken farm. Instead of igniters, I used sticky pistons to suffocate the chicken as I wanted raw chicken instead of cooked chicken. Water on first layer flowing to a transposer collection point, sticky pistons on second, glass covering top and sides. Deployers for eggs on the first layer as well.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno why you guys need two layers. I always have one 5x5 layer with water sources in the corners and a transposer in the middle, and the chickens lay their eggs there just fine.

The one with two layers is the standard vanilla variant.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why an obsidian pipe would not work. I made a farm before with chickens in a 1x1 space and it worked just fine. Heck, we recently disabled such a farm on our server (disabled meaning we dropped some TNT in it) because it was working to well: the egg chest was overflowing.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I don't understand why an obsidian pipe would not work. I made a farm before with chickens in a 1x1 space and it worked just fine. Heck, we recently disabled such a farm on our server (disabled meaning we dropped some TNT in it) because it was working to well: the egg chest was overflowing.
I love creative solutions :D

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
have you tried putting power to the obsidian pipe? If you add MJs to it the obsidian pipe will pull items from a larger area. I know red stone engine makes it pull from like 3 or 4 squares away.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
Thx the 5x5 one layer thing is working perfect. I want to kill them on my own with a soul shard, so i can make a chicken spawner. That way don't have to bother with the eggs.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
plugins for forestry (a mod you can add) lets you cook chicken eggs into food that heals 4 hunger :D and they stack up to 64. Want some fried egg? Get plugins for forestry...