Chestnut trees

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cutler Pain

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, phrased that wrong. Best way to harvest the nuts :)

Just looking for info about how to set up an auto farm for nuts

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
The multifarms have an orchard setting. I haven't used them myself but from what I have seen you wait for the trees to mature and then the multifarm harvests them and they go straight into the multifarms inventory. If you have already messed around with multifarms you will know that you just need to put the right electron tube into the intricate circuit board. There is a good list of what the electron tubes do on the forestry wiki.

Alternatively, you can put a wooden golem beneath the tree and he will pick up all the nuts when they drop. The cheapest but clunkiest solution would be to have an array of either vanilla hoppers, obsidian pipes or transposers underneath the tree but I wouldn't recommend that if you have the resources or the research for the other two.

Cutler Pain

Jul 29, 2019
ahhhh thank you, I tried it once and it didn't seem to be working. I must of just not noticed or set it up wrong

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
You have to setup the circuit for orchards under the manual farms tab of a soldering iron. All the info is on the Forestry pages. You have to set the dirt and plant the trees yourself, but it will auto harvest.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You also need to wait for the nuts (or any other fruit) to mature before the farm will start harvesting.

Scroff

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know if the multi-farm orchards and sweet chestnuts are bugged in Forestry 2.2.6.3? I've set it up in my 1.5.2 world EXACTLY the same way as I did in my FTB world (where it chucks out barrel-loads of chestnuts) and... nothing :(

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
A good way to test it is to hit a few of the leaves with bonemeal as it will instantly mature the nuts for the farm to harvest them.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
It takes a while for the trees to mature before they start producing fruit. It is not instant. Just let it run a while. You will see the fruit on the leaves change color after a while. Once the whole tree is like that, it will continuously harvest fruit/nuts.

Scroff

Jul 29, 2019
Thank-you both, you're spot on - I was being hasty (Fangorn would be disappointed). I have to reset my expectations after the plenty on offer in 1.4.7 and work on breeding more productive trees

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting... these trees are massive, in fact 1 tree will practically cover an entire largest multifarm, you may (haven't tried) be able to position 3 strategically so the farm might harvest 3. Is it really worth doing using a multifarm?

Scroff

Jul 29, 2019
I've now got 4 trees planted on the 3x3x4 multifarm so there's lots of leaves poking over the edge of the farm. I read on the internet (so it must be true) that multifarms will still harvest fruits from those overhanging boughs - we'll see...

Multi-farms weren't my first choice since I'd used them before. I did try using an MFR fruit picker but it just looked at me like I was a retard

Reactions: helloteam