Changing Packs but Keeping My World: Is it Possible?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing on Unleashed for a few weeks now, and I'm really enjoying it. I assume that it's done being updated; the last update was Nov 11, 2013, about 3 months ago. I knew this when I started the world, though, so I can't really complain. Before I just leave behind everything I've made, though, I want to check with the forums and see if there's any way to convert the world to, say, the 1.6.4 Direwolf20 pack. Thanks!

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Would there be ay way to transfer the world 100% safely, or at least any precautions I could take?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Oooh....Unleashed is 1.5.2 and DW20 1.6.4 is...well, 1.6.4 .

6vr6n.jpg

Mods aside, I'm pretty sure that vanilla (base) Minecraft doesn't upgrade well from 1.5.2 to 1.6.4 . However, give it a shot. The worst that can happen is your game crashes and/or you can't login. At least you know it won't work.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Oooh....Unleashed is 1.5.2 and DW20 1.6.4 is...well, 1.6.4 .

6vr6n.jpg

Mods aside, I'm pretty sure that vanilla (base) Minecraft doesn't upgrade well from 1.5.2 to 1.6.4 . However, give it a shot. The worst that can happen is your game crashes and/or you can't login. At least you know it won't work.
This.

Though it's theoretically possible, it's almost certainly more trouble than its worth. You'll lose all your stored liquids, and many mods have changed drastically between versions, so you can't just configure item/block IDs for a "smooth" transition on that front.

Suffice to say, I say just start a new world in 1.6.4 and keep your old 1.5.2 world in case you ever want to go back to it.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing on Unleashed for a few weeks now, and I'm really enjoying it. I assume that it's done being updated; the last update was Nov 11, 2013, about 3 months ago. I knew this when I started the world, though, so I can't really complain. Before I just leave behind everything I've made, though, I want to check with the forums and see if there's any way to convert the world to, say, the 1.6.4 Direwolf20 pack. Thanks!

If you add the mods you had in Unleashed and change all the IDs so they match, you might be able to keep you're without TOO much corruption, but still, not everything will be perfect.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't say it is impossible. I went from 1.4.7 to 1.6.4 with http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/the-ultimate-monster-pack.39369/
the hard part is making sure your MidasGold id conversion list is complete.
IDs that exist in the new world will change to those things.
IDs that don't exist will turn into empty air.

I haven't yet attempted to convert any 1.5.2 worlds to 1.6.4, so I have lists to offer.

Be prepared to repair parts of your world. And you will have the cliffs of new world generation changes. Just explore far enough away from home and you will be ok.

Good luck.

IMarv

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like I'm giving up, but I'll probably just start a new world in the Direwolf20 pack. I'm not really computer-savvy, so I'm hesitant to jump into majorly modifying my, um, modded world. The only thing I'll really miss in my old world will be the treehouses, and that's just wood and leaves anyway. Thank you all for your help, though!

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like I'm giving up, but I'll probably just start a new world in the Direwolf20 pack. I'm not really computer-savvy, so I'm hesitant to jump into majorly modifying my, um, modded world. The only thing I'll really miss in my old world will be the treehouses, and that's just wood and leaves anyway. Thank you all for your help, though!
Find a Sacred Springs biome (from BoP) in your new world. Build the most awesome tree houses from the giant sacred oaks that grow there. You'll love it. ;)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
You're not giving up, you're saving your sanity. I've heard from experienced people who have attempted this task and it burned them out of playing Minecraft. You aren't giving up, you're moving on.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
There are ways but they are long, sometimes difficult and uncertain. I've upgraded since 1.5.2 and it almost always takes weeks to get most things working again. Pretty much I settle for keeping my main city buildings, everything else is collateral.