[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
The engines seem to work by generating friction, as the ring around the center pushes back and forth.
If the ring was inside the center, it could count as Pneumatic due to the air being pushed.
In, say, a Steam Engine, the Coal burns and turns a turbine which creates electricity.
I can only associate the pumping of the engine to the turbine wasting electricity on pushing an unneeded ring.
The Combustion Engine would probably work like a car's engine, the explosions powering pistons (probably moving the ring outside the center, and so wasting good electrictity) powering the crank shaft, as KriiEiter said.
So I can only assume that it must not be friction.
I cannot understand why on earth Buildcraft makes the Engines pump back and forth when that movement has absolutely nothing to do with generating electricity.
If this were in real life, that would be a huge waste of electricity.
In reality, the light in the center supplies the electricity to the pipes.
The ring is not needed at all.
Buildcraft is starting to look a little less realistic, eh?

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting discussion. Keep it civil, kids. I see anyone trying to shove anybody else into Schrodinger's possibly poisonous boxes, I'm calling a mod.

Aside from that, have fun with the debate. I'm reading with popcorn as I work on the Redstone stage.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, we are just discussing realism and how BC strayed a little.
I mean come on!
That's just a waste of energy to pump a pointless ring back and forth.
I thought it was generating friction in turn generating static electricity, but nooooooooo.
It's a pointless, energy wasting disk that has no use except to make it look pretty (which it really doesn't).
And BC doesn't even put some kind of loss for that disk.
Le sigh.
MJ can't really be classified as one specific thing.
Each engine has it's own classification.
I guess it's an all-encompassing Mechanical system, but each has it's own classification.
TE/BC Steam/Stirling: Steam turning Turbine, so I guess just simple Mechanical.
Combustion: Centrifugal Energy.
Electrical: Electromagnet...? Turning a turbine...? Electromagnetic energy.
Peat: I guess also turbine turner, so Mechanical.
Biogas Engine: Like the combustion engine, so Centrifugal.
RC Steam: Steam turning turbine, so Mechanical, unless it's heat energy, which actually now that I think of it is absurd in the circumstances.
Magmatic: Heat energy.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
I like the Blulectric Engine how it spins like a real engine. Either way I call MJ's mechanical power, they are all 'engines' in my simplified view. =D Personal preference really!

Here's my next episode, I hope you all enjoy!

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Episode 11, full of awesome!

Hope you all enjoy, please leave me some feedback either way! =D

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Maul_Junior, on the wiki, what happened to "Gold City"? Wasn't that supposed to be "Stage 5"? I see Redstone Discovery now listed as Stage 5...

I'm nowhere near stage 5, so it's not like I'm in a quandary about it, but I enjoy reading up on what I'm building toward.

Thanks, and great work thus far!

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Think Maul has checked out, but here's my latest vid with my own personal variation of this challenge!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Think Maul has checked out, but here's my latest vid with my own personal variation of this challenge!

I hope he hasn't checked out for good. I've only just started with his Stone Hamlet and I'm working on Normal with bits of Hardcore thrown in. I like how organically my settlement is growing. I'll toss up the videos on my progress shortly.

Toadswart

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question for any one reading. I'm trying the hardcore version of this. I'm very early in the wood age, hovel stage took me forever, having 9 types of trees near me and so much clay...

Wood age says to build a well, is there a way to move water in the age that I can't figure out? Or should I be building my well over some water? Right now I have a 3x3x12 block hole in my town centre(or what will be my town centre).

Having lots of fun with this so far and will be watching Vaal's and Mobius's play throughs soon. Working my way through Mobius's older stuff atm. Hope to see Maul back here as well, he did some great work on this and would hate to see it left behind.

Been playing with FTB Ultimate, but I think I'll play around with the launcher and see if I can't figure out how to get all the mods from the wiki in a custom pack and try to move my save game or probably start over.