[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Right. Wood Settlement 4.2 update has been completed. It has what I feel is a fairly comprehensive overview of Minecraft Agricultural techniques, ranging from farming to Bees, and even extending to Trappers (which had previously only been something barely mentioned in passing). There aren't requirements for everything, but there are explanations, up to and including Utility Bees (like Heroics from Forestry, Magic Bee spawners, More Bees miners, Career Bees automation, Extra Bees lightning, etc).

I'm experimenting with (collapsible) info-boxes, and unless someone really doesn't like it, I'll probably be using them more in the future for important at-a-glance information.

Some of the changes include:

• Each of the major sub-sections of Agriculture are their own sub-Guild (not new), and each has their own symbol (item in an Item Frame--new).
  • the Kennels and Stables [Dogs/Cats/Parrots and Horses/Donkeys/Llamas] are part of the Ranching Sub-Guild (new), but are considered separate entities, for clarity.
    • Ranching=Food
    • Kennels=Pets [non-Livestock, non-Rideable]
    • Stables=Rideables [non-Livestock Rideables]
  • Pam's Water/Ground traps are explicitly mentioned as okay, as are Giacomo's Fishing Nets.
  • Trappers are solitary folks
    • Utilize Pam's Ground Traps
    • May not live within 100 blocks of a settlement
    • May not live within 50 blocks of another Trapper
  • Fishermen can't live too close to each other, to prevent overfishing
    • Fishermen may use Giacomo's Nets, Pam's Water Trap
    • Fishermen may not live within 50 blocks of another Fisherman
    • Up to a certain point (atm Gold City, may be extended by 1 stage), powered [RF/EU/etc] Auto-Fishers require Residential, Expert
      • After that point, they require Residential, Advanced
  • Livery Stables are explicitly mentioned as being separate from Stables.
    • Stables are for breeding, need breeding material
    • Livery Stables provide rideable mobs for those who need them.
    • This is primarily due to Horses/Donkeys, and the requirements of Gold for breeding.
  • Pam Exceptions for farming (excepted from all plants available should be planted)--for Wood Settlement. Because trying to do that is ludicrous.
    • The Pam Exception is 8 Gardens total (Arid, Shaded, Windy, etc)=1 Farming Plot. And the Gardens have to have room to replicate themselves
    • Included explanations for how to harvest the Gardens without turning them into Pam food (Sneak+Click)

Comments, suggestions, etc are welcome.

EDIT:

Ohshit.

This....explains quite a bit about the last couple years of Element Animation.

:(

EDIT2: For additional clarity, the Pam's Exception=8 Gardens TOTAL, of any variety of Pam's Gardens. It could be 8 of one type of Garden, or ~2 each of the six different varieties of Garden.

EDIT3:

Broad outline of the Stone Hamlet 4.2 Update is up. I'd have more done, but my mother was in the hospital this morning (she's out now, and fine as far as we all know) and I didn't have as much time/inspiration as I might have otherwise had. Being the only family in the area, for now, I elected to go and stay with her until she was discharged.

I do want to get the Stone Hamlet 4.2 done soon.

Broad strokes, Stone Hamlet is going to see the first Outlier, centered around an Agricultural Guild School (which is also an excuse to move most new Agricultural output outside of the capital). Unlike (some) previous versions, the Outlier will probably not be considered "done" when requirements are met, and will (probably) not be expanded in further stages (Iron, Gold, etc).

All of the Guilds will eventually see a School built for them (the schedule can now be found in the OP, in the Stages spoiler). Stone Hamlet will also see a Mining Guild School in 4.3, which will be located in the capital, because Mining Guild basics are fairly straightforward and not necessarily that complicated:

Dig stuff out, make sure it doesn't collapse, throw it in a furnace. It gets a bit more complicated when it comes to ore doubling/TiCo smelteries, etc, which will be covered by the College, University.

The Iron Village Stage will see Schools for the Trade Guild, the Crafting Guild (both in the Capital, since it is the center of Trade, and Crafters [in my head, anyway] work best when they are near resource stockpiles). It will also see a Military Guild School, which will probably be housed in a Military Academy Outlier (with some minor support buildings from other Guilds).

Unlike the other Outliers, the Military Academy Outlier probably WILL be updated in future Stages. However, this will be because the Military Guild College and University will be added onto the same outlier, centralizing military training.

....at least, for the campaign mode.

*shrugs*

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So I'm working on some more creative ways to explain what each race is and does for my challenge (because it's a mess and there are better ways to show things than with just pages of text and bullet points. It's making people's eyes glaze over.. or maybe they're just glass eyes.. o_O). So, I have a question for you: Can you guess what race the following build is supposed to be for?

DxujETL.png

And while you're guessing, head on over to the forum page and let me know what you think! :D

Thans, guys!

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Okay, I've been working on the Cherry Crater outlier, just to keep moving forward.

Building a Dock:

Working on the ground floor of a Pub:

But I'm having a little bit of trouble with Minecraft right now. I might end up going ahead and restarting with the latest update to the rules. There is always something refreshing to starting from the begining again.

Reactions: Senseidragon
H

HoodedCrow

I've been reading this challenge and others linked in the forums, and wanted to thank you for all the cool design work. I love playing minecraft but I usually tire out pretty fast and go forth to seek another modpack that would keep my interest. I stumbled to this challenge earlier and it made me realize that one thing I usually skip in minecraft is actual building. I'm hoping following the challenge will allow me to focus more on that neglected part. I've been working past week trying to come up with a suitable modpack to use, and after few false starts ending in bugs and other failures, I started making my own based on 1.7.10. I hope I'll be able to post something concrete later in the week, but nevertheless I'll keep on reading the wiki and the forum both here and also about the modded fantasy challenge on minecraftforums too.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
SUPER IMPORTANT EDIT: The Modded Fantasy City Build Challenge is now COMPLETE! You can now play ALL TWENTY STAGES of the challenge! Come help me celebrate hitting version 1.0! https://www.minecraftforum.net/foru...-modded-fantasy-city-build-challenge-1-0-core

Thanks for checking out my challenge, too! Hopefully the mod list I have will be helpful to you.

I came here to share a seed I found that should be helpful to other challenge players and fun for everyone else. It has a nice spread of different biomes and includes several surprises within a few day's walking distance. I'm not sure, however, what it looks like with mods installed (because they can change the way the world generates). Nevertheless, here's the seed: -7808709095439545432

Hopefully some of y'all will enjoy it!

Last edited:
H

HoodedCrow

I finally got my modpack ready after several iterations, and also got a map that I liked enough to get started. Here are couple of pictures from first few days and list of the mods used:

ER6UJhd
Cjqd0MN
5fw7hsC

List of Mods: (1.7.10)
AE2 Stuff, Agricraft, AI Improvements, AMTGenerators, Ancient Warfare 2, AnimationAPI, AOBD, AppleCore, AppleMilkTea2, AE2, Aroma1997Core, AromaBackup, ArsMagica, Aura Cascade, Automagy, BdLib, BeeBetterAtBees, Better Builder's Wands, BetterAchievements, BetterFps, Bibliocraft (+Natura and ExtraBiomesXL edition), Blood Arsenal, Blood Magic, Born in a Barn, Botania, Buildcraft, Buildcraft Compat, Calculator, Carpenter's Blocks, Catwalks 2, Chisel, Climate Control/Geographicraft, CodeChickenCore, COFH Core, Compatc Machines, Compacter, ComputerCraft, Controlling, CookieCore, Cooking for Blockheads, CraftHeraldry, Custom NPCs, DrCyano's Wonderful Wands & Wizarding Robes, Electro-Magic Tools, Ender IO, Ender IO addons, Ender Storage, EnderCore, Entity LagFix, Excore, Extended Potions, Extra Utilities, Extrabiomes XL, ExtraCells2, ExtraTiC, FastCraft, Flaxbear's Steam Power, Forbidden Magic, Forestry, FTB Utilities, FTBLib, Gadomancy, Garden Stuff, Gendustry, Guide-API, Hunger In Peace, iChunUtil, Iguanas Tinker Tweaks, Immersive Engineering, Industrial Craft, InGame Info XML, Inventory Tweaks, Iron Backpacks, Iron Chests, IVToolkit, Jabba, JourneyMap, KeepingInventory, Light Level Overlay Reloaded, Logistics Pipes, LunatriusCore, Magic Bees, Mantle, Matter Overdrive, McJtyLib, Mekanism, Mekanism Generators, Mekanism Tools, Minecraft Comes Alive, MobiusCore, Model Citizens, Morpheus, Mouse Tweaks, Natura, NEI Addons, NetherPortalFix, NoMobSpawningOnTrees, NoNausea, NotEnoughIDs, NotEnoughItems, NotEnoughResources, NotEnoughThaumcraftTabs, Notes, OpenBlocks, OpenModsLib, Optifine, Ore Excavation, P455w0rd's Library, Pam's HarvestCraft, Placeable Items, Platforms, PneumaticCraft, PortalGun, RadixCore, Railcraft, Random Things, Realistic Terrain Generation, ReAuth, Refined Relocation, RFTools, Schematica, SG Craft, ShetiPhianCore, Signpost, Solar Flux, Sonar Core, Steve's Addons, Steve's Factory Manager, stimmedcow: NoMoreRecipeConflict, Storage Drawers (+Misc pack), Technomancy, Thaumcraft, Thaumcraft Inventory Scanning, Thaumcraft NEI Plugin, Thaumcraft Node Tracker, Thaumic Energistics, Thaumic Exploration, Thaumic Tinkerer, Thermal Dynamics, Thermal Expansion, Thermal Foundation, Thermal Recycling, Thermal Smeltery, TiC Tooltips, TiConAutoToolStation, Tinkers Construct, Tinkers' MechWorks, Tinkers' Steelworks(fork), Traveller's Gear, UndergroundBiomesConstructs, UniDict, Waila, Waila Harvestability, WAILA Plugins, WanionLib, Wawla, Waystones, Wireless Crafting Terminal, Witchery, Witchery Patch, Witching Gadgets, Ye Gamol Chattels

I did jump pretty much straight into flint tools, as Iguana's Tinker Tweaks disabled my wooden tools, and I was too lazy to fix it anymore at that point. After relieving distant village from their smeltery blocks I also upgraded my pickaxe to Copper so I could get iron for a bucket, only realizing that I could make a clay one instead. I got so immersed to building that I forgot about most of the rules, hence the stone houses already as UBC adds so many nice stone varieties. I'm now trying to get back on track and build the townhall/bank I keep forgetting about. I also forgot about the bucket in the end and build a small 3x9 farm over the water instead. The farmer already has 2 beehouses and one avocado tree, but I'm going to make space for some more. I also made the "mistake" of planting few greatwood saplings in my town to get some nice dark colored lumber, but they were a pain to cut down as they grow so huge.

Monarch_of_Gold: Thanks for finishing the modded challenge, I've been meaning to post on the forum, but keep forgetting. I'm adding some of the stuff from there too.

Last edited:
H

HoodedCrow

@HoodedCrow did you delete a post? It looked like you'd started to make a progress post I was about to follow, but now I can't find it. :oops:

Hi I did, but as I'm a noob on the site, it's waiting for approval because I posted links to pictures of the build. It's been pending for multiple hours now, so I'll just copy here the text part:

"I did jump pretty much straight into flint tools, as Iguana's Tinker Tweaks disabled my wooden tools, and I was too lazy to fix it anymore at that point. After relieving distant village from their smeltery blocks I also upgraded my pickaxe to Copper so I could get iron for a bucket, only realizing that I could make a clay one instead. I got so immersed to building that I forgot about most of the rules, hence the stone houses already as UBC adds so many nice stone varieties. I'm now trying to get back on track and build the townhall/bank I keep forgetting about. I also forgot about the bucket in the end and build a small 3x9 farm over the water instead. The farmer already has 2 beehouses and one avocado tree, but I'm going to make space for some more. I also made the "mistake" of planting few greatwood saplings in my town to get some nice dark colored lumber, but they were a pain to cut down as they grow so huge."

Edit: Might as well add that I started building a shrine for logna which will look like a tree or something and also making groundwork for town hall

H

HoodedCrow

I realized I can actually open my in game notes in notepad, so might as well post my week 1 diary here for giggles. In reality all this took more than a week of gametime, especially as I keep forgetting to close minecraft and it keeps ticking away by itself. In the future I probably won't be keeping a diary constantly, maybe few updates here and there as long as I'll be able to keep playing that is.

Day 1:
I woke up this morning all alone up on a mountain. All I had with me was few books and couple of apples and clothes on me. None of those gave me any hint who I am, or why I am alone here. After a while I decided to walk down the mountain where I could see a river flowing by. I thought about following the river upstream in hopes of finding some civilization, but I was ambushed by some weird mechanical human who was shooting blasts of lights, so I crossed the river and followed the beach forward. After some while I managed to lose my tracker and came across a small island just off the shore. I noticed that my tracker avoided water, so I decided to set the camp there.

Day 2:
I hurt my leg while running yesterday so I am forced to stay put at least few more days. I made a simple cast from some sticks and clay and collected some more clay to build a more solid shelter for myself. My first attempts failed miserably as the clay is too soft to stay upward by itself, but I soon figured I could use some small flints to craft an axe and use logs as a support. I also used some of the small sharp pieces combined with wooden sticks to make shears, and relieved few wild sheep of their coating. I think I should heal faster if I don't need to sleep on the cold hard ground.

Day 3:
The flint tools keep breaking constantly so I built myself a workbench to better focus on improving them, but sooner or later I might need to think of something. One of the books I'm carrying explains how to make metallic tools, but where am I supposed to get copper or iron in this wilderness?

Day 4:
I met another traveller passing my island with a boat. He said he would help me with some construction and other work in exchange for food. He also told me about another guy he met in a nearby village, who was looking for his own piece of land to farm.

Day 5:
My new friend took his boat early this morning to go visit the village for some trade and to see if anyone was looking to move. I was really surprised to see him arrive later with one person, and telling me that at least 2 more were on their way to arrive later this week. We quickly built a simple farmhouse for our new friend, and helped him plant some crops to eat. He also brought with him a breeding pair of bees, and one fruit tree sapling. I was starting to get bored of apples already.

Day 6:
Day had started like all the others lately, but in the evening a stout dwarven lass shouted at us from other side of the shore to come pick her up. She said her name was Amethyst and she was a trainee blacksmith from a faraway dwarven village and was looking for a place to set up shop to make some gold. We welcomed her even though we told her that we don't expect there to be much money to be made, but she did not listen. We asked if she wanted some help to make a temporary dwelling, but she said she had it under control.

Day 7:
I don't know how she did it, but this morning I woke to be greeted by a (almost) fully functioning blacksmith shop on the island. I admired her skill and speed with stonework, and she promised to teach me her tricks one day. As a reward for letting her stay here, she fixed my flint pickaxe and changed the blade into a copper one.
Later in the day Carter (our resident farmer) showed up carrying some crops and suggested making a small feast to celebrate our growing village. We stayed up late talking and planning our future, and made a toast for weeks to come.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I realized I can actually open my in game notes in notepad, so might as well post my week 1 diary here for giggles. In reality all this took more than a week of gametime, especially as I keep forgetting to close minecraft and it keeps ticking away by itself. In the future I probably won't be keeping a diary constantly, maybe few updates here and there as long as I'll be able to keep playing that is.

This is pretty good stuff, @HoodedCrow! I look forward to seeing more of your adventures. Do you have a list of your currently running mods? I've been running 1.12 for a long while, but frankly I'm getting kind of sick of the choices I have in mods with that version, so I've wandered back to 1.7.10 recently.

H

HoodedCrow

I finally settled on this set of mods, as there's no lag, loads reasonably fast and I had thaumcraft, ars magica and ancient warfare 2 I had as minimum requirements:
  • Magic Mods:
    • ArsMagica, Aura Cascade, Automagy, Blood Arsenal, Blood Magic, Botania, DrCyano's Wonderful Wands & Wizarding Robes, Electro-Magic Tools, Forbidden Magic, Gadomancy, Technomancy, Thaumcraft, Thaumic Energistics, Thaumic Exploration, Thaumic Tinkerer, Witchery, Witching Gadgets,
  • Tech Mods:
    • AE2 Stuff, AMTGenerators, AE2 (rv3), Buildcraft, Buildcraft Compat, Calculator, COFH Core, Compact Machines, Compacter, ComputerCraft, Ender IO, Ender IO addons, Ender Storage, Extra Utilities, ExtraCells2, ExtraTiC, Flaxbear's Steam Power, Iguanas Tinker Tweaks, Immersive Engineering, Industrial Craft, Logistics Pipes, Matter Overdrive, Mekanism, Mekanism Generators, Mekanism Tools, OpenBlocks, PneumaticCraft, PortalGun, Railcraft, Random Things, Refined Relocation, RFTools, SG Craft, Solar Flux, Steve's Addons, Steve's Factory Manager, Thermal Dynamics, Thermal Expansion, Thermal Foundation, Thermal Recycling, Thermal Smeltery, TiConAutoToolStation, Tinkers Construct, Tinkers' Steelworks(fork), Wireless Crafting Terminal,
  • Farming and Food:
    • Agricraft, AppleCore, AppleMilkTea2, BeeBetterAtBees, Cooking for Blockheads, Forestry, Gendustry, Hunger In Peace, Magic Bees, Pam's HarvestCraft,
  • Building, Decoration and NPCs
    • Ancient Warfare 2, Better Builder's Wands, Bibliocraft (+Natura and ExtraBiomesXL edition), Carpenter's Blocks, Catwalks 2, Chisel, Custom NPCs, CraftHeraldry, Extrabiomes XL, Garden Stuff, Jabba, Minecraft Comes Alive, Model Citizens, Natura,Placeable Items, Platforms, Schematica, Signpost, Storage Drawers (+Misc pack), Tinkers' MechWorks, UndergroundBiomesConstructs, Waystones, Ye Gamol Chattels
  • Quality of Life and Lagfix
    • AI Improvements, AOBD, AromaBackup, BetterAchievements, BetterFps, Born in a Barn, Climate Control/Geographicraft, Controlling, Entity LagFix, Extended Potions, FastCraft, FTB Utilities, InGame Info XML, Inventory Tweaks, Iron Backpacks, Iron Chests, JourneyMap, KeepingInventory, Light Level Overlay Reloaded, Morpheus, Mouse Tweaks, NoNausea, NotEnoughIDs, NotEnoughItems, NotEnoughResources, NotEnoughThaumcraftTabs, Notes, Optifine, Ore Excavation, Realistic Terrain Generation, ReAuth, Thaumcraft Inventory Scanning, Thaumcraft NEI Plugin, Thaumcraft Node Tracker, Waila, Waila Harvestability, Wawla,
  • Libraries
    • AnimationAPI, Aroma1997Core, BdLib, CodeChickenCore, CookieCore, EnderCore, Excore, FTBLib, Guide-API, iChunUtil, IVToolkit, LunatriusCore, Mantle, McJtyLib, MobiusCore, NEI Addons, NetherPortalFix, NoMobSpawningOnTrees, OpenModsLib, P455w0rd's Library, RadixCore, ShetiPhianCore, Sonar Core, stimmedcow: NoMoreRecipeConflict, TiC Tooltips, Traveller's Gear, UniDict, WAILA Plugins, WanionLib, Witchery Patch

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I finally settled on this set of mods, as there's no lag, loads reasonably fast and I had thaumcraft, ars magica and ancient warfare 2 I had as minimum requirements:
  • Magic Mods:
    • ArsMagica, Aura Cascade, Automagy, Blood Arsenal, Blood Magic, Botania, DrCyano's Wonderful Wands & Wizarding Robes, Electro-Magic Tools, Forbidden Magic, Gadomancy, Technomancy, Thaumcraft, Thaumic Energistics, Thaumic Exploration, Thaumic Tinkerer, Witchery, Witching Gadgets,
  • Tech Mods:
    • AE2 Stuff, AMTGenerators, AE2 (rv3), Buildcraft, Buildcraft Compat, Calculator, COFH Core, Compact Machines, Compacter, ComputerCraft, Ender IO, Ender IO addons, Ender Storage, Extra Utilities, ExtraCells2, ExtraTiC, Flaxbear's Steam Power, Iguanas Tinker Tweaks, Immersive Engineering, Industrial Craft, Logistics Pipes, Matter Overdrive, Mekanism, Mekanism Generators, Mekanism Tools, OpenBlocks, PneumaticCraft, PortalGun, Railcraft, Random Things, Refined Relocation, RFTools, SG Craft, Solar Flux, Steve's Addons, Steve's Factory Manager, Thermal Dynamics, Thermal Expansion, Thermal Foundation, Thermal Recycling, Thermal Smeltery, TiConAutoToolStation, Tinkers Construct, Tinkers' Steelworks(fork), Wireless Crafting Terminal,
  • Farming and Food:
    • Agricraft, AppleCore, AppleMilkTea2, BeeBetterAtBees, Cooking for Blockheads, Forestry, Gendustry, Hunger In Peace, Magic Bees, Pam's HarvestCraft,
  • Building, Decoration and NPCs
    • Ancient Warfare 2, Better Builder's Wands, Bibliocraft (+Natura and ExtraBiomesXL edition), Carpenter's Blocks, Catwalks 2, Chisel, Custom NPCs, CraftHeraldry, Extrabiomes XL, Garden Stuff, Jabba, Minecraft Comes Alive, Model Citizens, Natura,Placeable Items, Platforms, Schematica, Signpost, Storage Drawers (+Misc pack), Tinkers' MechWorks, UndergroundBiomesConstructs, Waystones, Ye Gamol Chattels
  • Quality of Life and Lagfix
    • AI Improvements, AOBD, AromaBackup, BetterAchievements, BetterFps, Born in a Barn, Climate Control/Geographicraft, Controlling, Entity LagFix, Extended Potions, FastCraft, FTB Utilities, InGame Info XML, Inventory Tweaks, Iron Backpacks, Iron Chests, JourneyMap, KeepingInventory, Light Level Overlay Reloaded, Morpheus, Mouse Tweaks, NoNausea, NotEnoughIDs, NotEnoughItems, NotEnoughResources, NotEnoughThaumcraftTabs, Notes, Optifine, Ore Excavation, Realistic Terrain Generation, ReAuth, Thaumcraft Inventory Scanning, Thaumcraft NEI Plugin, Thaumcraft Node Tracker, Waila, Waila Harvestability, Wawla,
  • Libraries
    • AnimationAPI, Aroma1997Core, BdLib, CodeChickenCore, CookieCore, EnderCore, Excore, FTBLib, Guide-API, iChunUtil, IVToolkit, LunatriusCore, Mantle, McJtyLib, MobiusCore, NEI Addons, NetherPortalFix, NoMobSpawningOnTrees, OpenModsLib, P455w0rd's Library, RadixCore, ShetiPhianCore, Sonar Core, stimmedcow: NoMoreRecipeConflict, TiC Tooltips, Traveller's Gear, UniDict, WAILA Plugins, WanionLib, Witchery Patch

Awesome! There are several mods in there I totally forgot about and am now adding to my own mishmash. I did originally have Ancient Warfare 2 in my pack, as I have always liked it, and in 1.12, the AI is pretty darn good, but when I came back to 1.7.10, I could definitely notice the clunkiness of the AI pathfinding which made it incredibly easy (for me) to cheese through an entire bandit camp with very little risk of death apart from those dang archers. Any melee type was basically just a loot bucket for me. So I sadly had to get rid of that one in mine just to avoid the loot temptation.

I like waystones, but I went with Warpbook for my long-term travel-between-points needs. Both are very good, for me it's mostly a Coke vs Pepsi thing. :)

I also love Thaumcraft and have just about everything for it in the pack, and I even bit the bullet and put Mystcraft in as well just for old times sake. Crossing my fingers that I don't regret it later. :rolleyes:

TheBrain

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for continuing to update this. I imagine there are quite a few people who read it to gain ideas even if they aren't necessarily posting. I agree with you that the level of detail is what sets this apart from anything else I have found. Having said that I am finding it very difficult to understand at the moment - I guess because it is in the middle of the rewrite. I looked at the Dirt and Wood stages and it seemed quite confusing compared to how I remember it originally. Are you going to be looking at streamlining the presentation?

edit:
So far from the Dirt section I have:
- Made myself a house out of clay
- Population: Built a town centre out of clay
- Population: Built 5 basic hovels, one for each guild, again out of clay

I just have two questions if you don't mind.

Is the idea that I then go on to the agriculture section, build 3 more houses, and then assign a farm, ranch and orchard to them? Then that is the dirt section complete?

I'm then looking ahead and it mentions the Schools in the wooden settlement but also says in the description that they are start in the iron village, so what is the expectation for that in the wooden stage? (and question 2b, what does it mean when you have (Support, Advanced) written next to some of the titles).

Pictures to follow :)

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Thank you for continuing to update this. I imagine there are quite a few people who read it to gain ideas even if they aren't necessarily posting. I agree with you that the level of detail is what sets this apart from anything else I have found. Having said that I am finding it very difficult to understand at the moment - I guess because it is in the middle of the rewrite. I looked at the Dirt and Wood stages and it seemed quite confusing compared to how I remember it originally. Are you going to be looking at streamlining the presentation?

edit:
So far from the Dirt section I have:
- Made myself a house out of clay
- Population: Built a town centre out of clay
- Population: Built 5 basic hovels, one for each guild, again out of clay

I just have two questions if you don't mind.

Is the idea that I then go on to the agriculture section, build 3 more houses, and then assign a farm, ranch and orchard to them? Then that is the dirt section complete?

I'm then looking ahead and it mentions the Schools in the wooden settlement but also says in the description that they are start in the iron village, so what is the expectation for that in the wooden stage? (and question 2b, what does it mean when you have (Support, Advanced) written next to some of the titles).

Pictures to follow :)

@TheBrain, just remember if you start to get frustrated or confused on a section, the one overriding rule is "The Rule of Cool" -- you're free to alter something that makes YOUR game more interesting or cool in your opinion. I think @The Mobius Archives even used it, or a variation of it, to accommodate the fact that he records his progress on YouTube.

As for your questions, yes, I think the intent is that once you have your basic settlement for what will be your guild leaders, start making the places where they will perform their duties. I personally would ignore the places where it mentions "points" until that is edited to be much clearer. @Maul_Junior has been doing a pretty good job on overhauling the system, but his schedule is best described as "erratic". Just use the material as a guide and go from there. The school should be for your apprentices in each of your trades, so build it when it feels like it makes sense for your community.

@Monarch_of_Gold also has a challenge similar to this one, based on an original challenge started (and abandoned) years ago. Hers is a bit more direct in that it leaves the details of how you do things up to you, she just lets you know how many of what kind of building you need at each stage. If you take a peek there, you might find it to your liking, or perhaps some mix between the two challenge styles will tickle your fancy.

Ultimately, use the material as a guideline to have a blast trying to make your kingdom. Don't get bogged down in details that are going to cause you frustration.

H

HoodedCrow

@TheBrain sounds like you had a great start to the challenge. I'm still few houses out of finishing dirt stage, but I'm using the "rule of cool" like @Senseidragon said and making few forays to the wooden and stone age to keep me from getting overwhelmed.

Speaking of overwhelmed, eventhough I read through @Maul_Junior 's amazing wiki few times before starting the scale of everything hadn't hit me until now. I was reading the trapper section again in preparation for agricultural stage and the mention of setting the trapper's hut at least 100 blocks of the population centre stopped me. I was like "no way that's over 6 chunks, it must be a mistake, it's like... wait 100m in real life, which is umm. ...down the street ...o_O " Intellectually I know all the measurements but when I'm building I just get mixed up, I started building town hall about 10x10 blocks and thought to myself "this will be huge" Then I read the wiki again, and realized how many rooms a town hall is supposed to have, so now my town hall blueprint is 16x16 (i never learn...) I also need to learn that half a stack of logs and half a stack of cobble is not enough materials for a house...

Usually when I play minecraft I dig a hole into a mountain, and once I have to walk on the cabling as there is no more space I dig tiny bit more and so on, then I wonder why it's lagging so bad and I restart. This will definitely be a learning experience for me, both in building skills and organization skills(and hopefully in not-giving-up-skills)

Reactions: The Mobius Archives
H

HoodedCrow

Refugee to Regent week 2 diary (thanks to being snowed in, nothing else to do but play)
Day 10:
Past 2 days we have been working dawn to dusk to finish Carter's terraced fields while the planting season is still going. He decided to split edible crops from utility crops to separate fields, something about different growth cycles and such. we also carried lots of dirt to make solid base for some orchard trees, walnuts, nutmeg and avocados along with tea and various berries. He also set up few beehives for pollination, but when I asked when I can have some honey on my toast, he said something about needing better machines for that. Back to my diet of apples and toast then.
Day 11:
A young elven girl arrived to our village and moved into an old tree stump we had not yet cleared out, we offered her lodgings with any of us, but she just smiled and said the tree stump was perfect. Later just before nightfall another traveler arrived. He did not talk much, asked if he could borrow some chalk rocks and dirt we had lying about on the riverbank and quietly started building some kind of circular house embedded into the hillside across the river. What is it with these people refusing my help in building? I guess they take one look at my house made from wet clay, and decide to rather build it themselves. Everybody looks up to me as the acting mayor of this village, so I guess my house could look more like the part.
Day 12:
The elven girl, Willow, was banging on my door right at the break of dawn. She handed me a glowing axe and asked me to venture west from the mountain along the river and bring her back a sapling from a certain tree growing at the edge of the jungle. She asked me not to harm any other trees while there. I don't know why, but I agreed. After hours of walking I arrived to the edge of a strangest forest, everything was lush green, weird glimmering pods grew on some trees and mushrooms were literally bigger than my house. I left all the trees where they stood, although I picked up 2 glowing pods that were lying on the ground, and continued as instructed. I found the weird blue-leaf tree alone in the jungle and swiftly cut it down with few quick chops. I got surprising amount of lumber and a single sapling which I brought back as asked.
Back home Willow took the sapling and planted on a spot behind the stump. To my surprise it grew almost immediately, and even the old stump next to us sprouted two new branches. "Such are the wonders of Logna" Willow just responded to my questions. Well at least she let me to keep the axe.
Day 14:
Another week behind us. Work has started on the town hall, farm has enough crops to support us for months, we now have 2 shrines looking out for our spiritual needs as the weird quiet guy turned out to be acolyte of Terrim, and we even found a vein of marble that when excavated will help make our town hall beautiful once it's finished.

link to imgur folder with few pics:
https://imgur.com/a/0HTU1

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Speaking of overwhelmed, eventhough I read through @Maul_Junior 's amazing wiki few times before starting the scale of everything hadn't hit me until now. I was reading the trapper section again in preparation for agricultural stage and the mention of setting the trapper's hut at least 100 blocks of the population centre stopped me. I was like "no way that's over 6 chunks, it must be a mistake, it's like... wait 100m in real life, which is umm. ...down the street ...o_O " Intellectually I know all the measurements but when I'm building I just get mixed up, I started building town hall about 10x10 blocks and thought to myself "this will be huge" Then I read the wiki again, and realized how many rooms a town hall is supposed to have, so now my town hall blueprint is 16x16 (i never learn...) I also need to learn that half a stack of logs and half a stack of cobble is not enough materials for a house...
)

Oh yep, that was something like my experience. I originally tossed the trapper's place just on the edge of the settlement in the direction of the forest. The idea being that they'd be on the edge and able to forage and trap to their heart's content. But then the village grew and the trapper ended up with quite a few neighbors.

I've been watching some Kingdom Come Deliverance and looking at how the villages, towns and castles are laid out gives me an inkling of what people have actually done with the technology of their times. Thematically I see the Dirt Hovel/Clay Community stage being something similar to adobe villages around a central town square. The wood settlement grows into something like the small villages with wood huts and shingle windows, some of which are dug into the ground, as seen in Kingdom Come Deliverance. Stone fortifications and castle like structures are added in the Stone Hamlet stage, I like adding this to a defensible position on a hill or surrounded by water on 3 sides. In Iron I see a Dickens like London with factories and iron forges. I think the Gold City has only ever been a twinkle in the eye but this is where the city bursts the bounds of the defensible walls and spreads into the various specialized districts and neighborhoods. We'll see how the plan works out this third time around.

Reactions: HoodedCrow

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I also tend to make heavy use of Custom NPCs to keep the growing settlements from looking empty. As I *complete* a home for a resident, I create a custom npc and move them in. After I have a job for them to do, I configure them to head to their work during the day and home at night. In the case of militia, I equip them with the arms/armor I've crafted for that purpose and then set them on routes that keep out most of the pests.

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
@TheBrain, just remember if you start to get frustrated or confused on a section, the one overriding rule is "The Rule of Cool" -- you're free to alter something that makes YOUR game more interesting or cool in your opinion. I think @The Mobius Archives even used it, or a variation of it, to accommodate the fact that he records his progress on YouTube.

As for your questions, yes, I think the intent is that once you have your basic settlement for what will be your guild leaders, start making the places where they will perform their duties. I personally would ignore the places where it mentions "points" until that is edited to be much clearer. @Maul_Junior has been doing a pretty good job on overhauling the system, but his schedule is best described as "erratic". Just use the material as a guide and go from there. The school should be for your apprentices in each of your trades, so build it when it feels like it makes sense for your community.

@Monarch_of_Gold also has a challenge similar to this one, based on an original challenge started (and abandoned) years ago. Hers is a bit more direct in that it leaves the details of how you do things up to you, she just lets you know how many of what kind of building you need at each stage. If you take a peek there, you might find it to your liking, or perhaps some mix between the two challenge styles will tickle your fancy.

Ultimately, use the material as a guideline to have a blast trying to make your kingdom. Don't get bogged down in details that are going to cause you frustration.

That's a good description of my challenge. I get frustrated with all the limitations (maybe because I'm an art student and deal with them all the time) so I decided that for my challenge (after some writing and thinking) there were really only gonna be tool limitations. I removed item requirements back in 0.5 (so... two years ago?). But, yeah. I was inspired by the Fantasy City Build Challenge which got me to make my first town and half of another (I never finished and lost the world). About a year after I started doing FCB, they started promising a new race or two (Egyptians and Romans). They had been working on them for years, but various logistical issues and problems accessing the server kept them from completing them. Two years passed. No updates. Well, people got bored. The same 14 races had been up since 2011, and no other content had been added, so the only thing we had to talk about was what we were building. Unfortunately, around this same time a lot of us graduated high school and entered adulthood (which is hectic), so posts became even more sporadic. Honestly I don't remember the Egyptian race being added (I remember it being a WIP like everything else).

So I noticed all the things the design team was complaining about, all the issues they were having, and, being a snide teenager when I made my challenge, decided I could try to do one better. I'd do it on my own, and it'd be some crazy length like 20 stages so people could go wild and make something HUGE. I also decided I didn't want races to be so hard to add, so, instead, I'd have a list of traits for each race that a person could apply to their town to get something different every time they played. Then, if I ever wanted to add a new race, I'd only have to make a new list of attributes and put them in the post. Done! AND IT HAS WORKED. When it was first posted, there were ~15 races. Now there are plans for ~30 races (one of them probably won't be released until April..) and all I had to do to get them ready for the challenge was make a small list of traits. I didn't have to think up a whole new challenge. So now you have a whole bucket of races to choose from and a nice, long challenge you can stop at any time with new quests being added as I get the inspiration for them. In a few years it'll probably be as dead as the FCB challenge through no fault of my own. it happens. Minecraft won't exist forever. But now there's something concrete people can come back to and look at the next time there's a 3D survival sandbox game, and I hope it inspires them and maybe shows them they can make their own cool towns. Cus that's what the Fantasy City Build did for me.