[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I usually play with NEI, so it's not that difficult to work with. It's just a matter of so much stuff takes so much work that by the time I finish getting ready to do something, I have to go back and figure out what I was trying to do to begin with. I'll just stick with 'normal' minecraft. I make that hard enough without additional challenges. :D

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Also, change the year length from 96 days to 360 before you start. It'll make getting ready for your first winter much easier.

While I love your informative posts, and I hit the 'like' button so show as much, I think that having to slow the default rate of progression by 375% to make your initial forays into the mod easier is something that should be carefully considered before diving in.

I love the idea of more realism, and I've clumsily tackled it more than a few times. It is hard to pull off while not crossing the line of still being enjoyable versus just punishing yourself needlessly. I respect TFC and what it has managed to do. I really like several of the mechanics it offers. But taken all together, for me it is a bit over that line of what I personally look for and enjoy. To that end I agree with @KingTriaxx in my evaluation of TFC.

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Okay, for those of you who haven't found it yet, here's my latest episode :)

I'm building out the fortifications giving the Fort Keeper and the Quartermaster a place to live.

While building this I did find out that (oops) I missed an entire section of the Wood Settlement phase and forgot to add watchtowers to the settlement. That'll be rectified probably in the next episode.

As for CustomNPCs, I do have it installed and I think it's about time I put them in place. I wonder how they'll react to the mobs from Mo'Creatures.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I do note that without TFC, I don't think we'd have had Tinker's. It's simpler, and more powerful, but it's the same as normal Minecraft is to TFC, simpler and with a higher power level. Then again, I like some of the TFC ideas of expanding on the mechanics, or restricting them. Of course that's why this challenge is so fun.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
While I love your informative posts, and I hit the 'like' button so show as much, I think that having to slow the default rate of progression by 375% to make your initial forays into the mod easier is something that should be carefully considered before diving in.

I love the idea of more realism, and I've clumsily tackled it more than a few times. It is hard to pull off while not crossing the line of still being enjoyable versus just punishing yourself needlessly. I respect TFC and what it has managed to do. I really like several of the mechanics it offers. But taken all together, for me it is a bit over that line of what I personally look for and enjoy. To that end I agree with @KingTriaxx in my evaluation of TFC.
In all honesty it only makes it easier because it's not a mod made for a building challenge. If I'm trying to get things ready for winter I won't have time to build. It's made in such a way that dawdling is punished severely, so I needed to give myself more time to do both - survive and build. It's the one part of the mod I think they should have rethought, especially since you have to go so far to diversify your food intake and wood types and find rock salt (a rock type ground to make salt for preservation) if you don't have an addon for sea salt installed. I enjoy the idea of "you physically can't complete the game in an hour anymore," but I wish they had thought about how much time it takes to do things and how long it takes to find things. That's why I suggested changing the year length. Because 96 days isn't enough time to try and find new resources and build and maintain your base. It just isnt.

So yeah. I understand what you're saying, and I agree it shouldn't be that way, but it's the only large problem in an otherwise solid mod.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I hadn't been aware you could change the time scale, because I'd never had a game last to the point where it mattered. Mostly I ended up frustrated finding water to drink. I mean, making the jug, not a problem. Most versions I played had the streams mod, so I'd find water, but it'd all be streams and so it'd be all but impossible to actually collect water from the blasted things.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Because tfc changes water to reflect the different types - fresh, hot spring, and salt water. Salt and hot spring water is obviously not drinkable. Unfortunately, the streams mod only modifies vanilla minecraft water and doesn't take into account the fresh or salty water in tfc. For a jug to work, it has to be registered fresh water.

And year length is a value you can change in the config. Just make sure it's divisible by 12 (the number of months in the game).

[EDIT] Beware, however, that changing the year length in an existing world will result in all animals in the explored chunks turning into babies. I'm dealing with this now and it's a bit of a PITA. New chunks will have adult animals.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It registered properly once or twice, but then it'd tell me it had to be a source block. I eventually found water, but had to go quite a distance over a mountain to get to it. And tunneling through is NOT a good idea.

I'm considering giving this a challenge a go, or a slightly modified version of it anyway, once Railcraft is fully functional for 1.10.2. I'll probably compress the early stages, Mud, Wood, and Stone all together, but using WTF's Expeditions to force me to have to build with supports so I can't just 'mud hut of shame'.

Hopefully Ancient Warfare will update, because that looks perfect for this type of challenge, though I don't hold out much hope since it's not been touched since last March. But since I'm waiting, there's always time.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
so I know I haven't done much lately, but I'm going to work on this a bit more, but I've come up with a few new gods and goddesses, and their shrines:

Pam, Culinary Goddess

Pam, sometimes considered part of the Modified Sub-Pantheon, falls more succinctly within the Agricultural Sub-Pantheon. While Pam has influence over all kinds of food-related elements, she is most commonly known for the blessings she bestows on those who take raw food and turn them into something greater.

Shrine to Pam:

While most of the gods and goddesses of the Pantheon have mere waystations, the very nature of the Order of Pam tends to lend itself more towards feeding those in need. Indeed, while some Pam's Shrines attract those that can fend for themselves, the followers of Pam believe most strongly in feeding those who either cannot afford it or do not have a place to which they call home.

Shrine Room:

In lieu of a shrine, Pam demands food preparatory surfaces. Any such surfaces, and at least 5 tables before which pilgrims of Pam may sit and eat her food are sufficient for a shrine to Pam. For truly devout followers of Pam, a Double Chest packed full of food is essential. Those who truly follow her will see that the chest is filled to the brim, but has such a variety of food available in that no single foodstuff is repeated in two slots.

• At least 5 Tables
  • Any and all food preparatory surfaces, blocks, or items available to that culture
  • A Double Chest packed full of food
    • For the truly devout, make sure that the chest is completely full, but that in every slot of the chest there is a new type of food
    • No repeats
Room of Rest:

• At least 4 beds for anyone who needs a place to rest
    • Each bed must have at least a single Chest for the occupant to store any personal items.
  • A Double Chest full of foodstuffs should be kept stocked in the Room of Rest
Order of Pam's Hermitage

• Must have an oven/Furnace
  • Must have a Crafting Table
  • Must have as many types of kitchen/food preparatory surfaces as are available.
  • Must have a Bed
  • Must have a Double Chest for Storage
  • Should have a small garden with at least 6 different types of edible plants being grown.

Mycos is the patron of mushrooms, the inventor of the Mooshroom, and a big fan of stews of all kinds.

Mycos Shrine

The Order of Mycos share their purpose with the Order of Pam. Indeed, it is quite common to see join Pam/Mycos Shrines in smaller towns. Whereas Pam's followers have a wide cookbook to pull from, followers of Mycos tend to open up stew kitchens wherever they go. The stew of the day may vary, but it is said that even fellow gods are welcome at Mycos' legendary stewpot.

Shrine to Mycos:

Like the Order of Pam, the Order of Mycos tend to eschew traditional shrines. Instead, they have a large dining area for those who are hungry.

• Must have at least 5 tables with chairs
    • if possible within modsets (or lackthereof)
  • Must have Double Chest filled with Stew
    • May be Rabbit, Mushroom, Beetroot, or additional Mod-added soups or Stews
  • Liquid Tanks may replace the Double Chest, but Bowls or other means of distributing the Stew must be provided.
  • The interior of the Shrine itself must be lined with Dirt/Grass and/or Mycelium if available.
    • The outside may be of any material, and indeed the exterior and supporting structure SHOULD NOT be made of Dirt if at all possible.
Room of Rest

• Must have at least 4 Beds
    • Each Bed must have at least a Single Chest for the occupant's Storage
  • Within the Room of Rest there must be at least a Single Chest containing some kind of Stew
Order of Mycos Hermitage

• Must have an Oven/Furnace
  • Must have Crafting Table
  • Must have a Bed
  • Must have a Double Chest for Storage
  • Must have mob-safe Mushroom Farm

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Adding one more villager to the hamlet. We now have a dock worker and a dock for large ships. Also I've started using CustomNPCs again!

Great first use of the NPCs, Mobius. <joke>You should make an optometrist NPC to help you spot the bread loaves in that crate you missed in the video.</joke>

Don't forget you can also equip your NPCs with items you end up crafting for the challenge anyway, which helps put some of that stuff to good use.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Don't forget you can also equip your NPCs with items you end up crafting for the challenge anyway, which helps put some of that stuff to good use
Good point. I'll need to go back over my people to see what they need.

The last episode I got started on an Inn for new visitors. Now that the Hamlet is established residents are more likely to need a place to stay as their houses are being built, or when merchants pass through town. This is going to be a multi-episode build since I've been running out of time lately.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hi guys! Haven't stopped by in a little bit! Sorry about that!

I'm here to tell you I may not post much for a little bit. I just got my job at Subway back which consumes a decent-ish chunk of time now.

Oh well, money, tips, and a free sandwich and drink every day I work is definitely worth it!

Thanks, guys!