Solved CentOS Server Refusing To Start After Installing Mono

mike546378

Jul 29, 2019
  • What OS are you running? - CentOS 6.5 (Final)
  • Are you using minecraft hosting provider or a dedicated/local server not designed for minecraft? - Dedicated server not designed for Minecraft (http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex40ssd)
  • What version of FTB are you using? (Dont just say latest tell us the version) - Horizons V1.0.6
  • Did you add any mods to the server pack? - Nope
  • What are your server specs?
- i7 4770
- 32Gb RAM
- Dual 240Gb SSD in Raid-1 Configuration
  • A good detailed paragraph about the problem
So, my server was running fine yesterday with this startup script:
Code:
#/bin/sh
while true
do
java -Xms30G -Xmx30G -Xmn7680m -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=31 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=40 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=150 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:PermSize=1024m -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=2048m -XX:+UseCodeCacheFlushing -XX:CompileThreshold=1000 -jar ftbserver.jar nogui
echo Its off..restarting
sleep 1
done

I then tried installing mono onto the machine using these instructions:
Code:
$yum install bison gettext glib2 freetype fontconfig libpng libpng-devel libX11 libX11-devel glib2-devel libgdi* libexif glibc-devel urw-fonts java unzip gcc gcc-c++ automake autoconf libtool make bzip2 wget

$cd /usr/local/src

$wget http://download.mono-project.com/sources/mono/mono-3.0.1.tar.bz2

$tar jxf mono-3.0.1.tar.bz2

$cd mono-3.0.1

$./configure --prefix=/opt/mono

$make && make install
which worked fine until I went to restart the Horizons server, now when I run the startup script I get a message saying
Code:
Can't start up: not enough memory
Its off..restarting
That repeats till I Cancel the process. I then tried using the standard startup script, here is my ForgeModLoader-server-0.log: http://pastebin.com/NgXySNcm
I then tried uninstalling mono by using
Code:
make uninstall
in
/usr/local/src/mono-3.0.1/
That seems to have uninstalled it however the server will still not start. Any help is much appreciated

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Did the startup arguments get changed after uninstalling mono? Can you oust the logs?

Also on my server I had many issues with mono 3 try mono 2.4 it seems to work a lot better.

How much ram is available? Use free -G

mike546378

Jul 29, 2019
Did the startup arguments get changed after uninstalling mono? Can you oust the logs?

Also on my server I had many issues with mono 3 try mono 2.4 it seems to work a lot better.

How much ram is available? Use free -G
Dont think the startup args changed, what logs are you talking about.
Not going to be reinstalling mono
31Gb free

Francis Baster

Jul 29, 2019
Can you post the results of the following commands

java -version
whereis java

I'm starting to suspect that yum may have installed openJDK version 6 as a dependency to something.

Oh wait, you actually told yum to install java. In that case edit your startup script to explicitly use the latest version of Oracle's JRE version 7, don't rely on the system path.

For example on my setup I would use:
Code:
/usr/java/jre1.7.0_40/bin/java -Xmx4G -XX:PermSize:128m -jar ftbserver.jar nogui

Last edited:

mike546378

Jul 29, 2019
Can you post the results of the following commands

java -version
whereis java

I'm starting to suspect that yum may have installed openJDK version 6 as a dependency to something.

Oh wait, you actually told yum to install java. In that case edit your startup script to explicitly use the latest version of Oracle's JRE version 7, don't rely on the system path.

For example on my setup I would use:
Code:
/usr/java/jre1.7.0_40/bin/java -Xmx4G -XX:PermSize:128m -jar ftbserver.jar nogui
So I just tried this with the path you gave (which does exist) and still get the same error. The output to java -version is
Code:
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-4)
And output of whereis java is
Code:
java: /usr/bin/java /etc/java /usr/lib/java /usr/share/java
Thanks for trying to help, appreciate it

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Your java is way out of date. You have java5.

Do
Code:
yum remove java5 -y

Then
Code:
yum install java7 -y

mike546378

Jul 29, 2019
Your java is way out of date. You have java5.

Do
Code:
yum remove java5 -y

Then
Code:
yum install java7 -y
Thanks, turned out java5 and java7 were both installed but java5 was taking priority. Used
Code:
yum remove java
and that removed java5, leaving only java7 installed. All works now, thanks for the help :)