Carpenter + AE

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JuliCash

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Guys, im right now trying to automate my scented-Panneling-Production via Applied Energistics..

But i havent got i working, i tried with ME-Interfaces set with the proper ratio of Materials but they dont put the Items in the Carpenter.

I tried export-bus too, but i cannot keep the exact ratio of materials in there, so this dont work (If i have tons of e.g. Planks in my Network, it will spam the Inventory of the Carpenter full of planks, and no space for jelly/pollen etc.)

Does anyone got it working?

thx

LastElf

Jul 29, 2019
The way that I have mine set up is to set up the Interface using a crafting recipe and craft two stacks at a time. It's slow and needs some management, but it gets it done without timing out the crafting (If you request the alveary block it will do it sequentially but it will just time out and stop crafting)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Some Forestry machines, like the carpenter, are notorious for being sorta difficult for other mods to interact with. Sengir did a large internal refactor for 1.5.1 which aims to improve cross-mod compatibility. Maybe it'll address your issue?

In the meantime, you could try bridging with something else. Buildcraft pipes should be detected as attached inventories, so maybe the ME interface will insert the ingredients for the external crafting pattern into a pipe leading to the carpenter. After all, the external crafting pattern does not need to know how it comes to pass, and the ME interface does not need to be attached to a producer directly. All the interface knows is "output ingredients A and B here, and somehow somewhere item C will find its way into the ME network".

If it doesn't work with pipes alone, try a chest from which you pipe the items into the carpenter.

LastElf

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, reading Omicron's post made me think of something...

I'm not sure which side of the carpenter you'll have to do this with, but you could just pipe an RP2 tube into the side of it with a sorting machine attached to a chest. Then just have a gate on the side of the carpenter with <if inventory empty then emit redstone signal> going into a pulse former, into a state cell that powers a timer for just long enough that the sorting machine pulls out everything it needs in order (You'll need sequential mode). Then attached to the chest you have your ME Interface told to keep stocked with X resources for the panelling.

You won't have a one block solution, but it will work, there won't be any overflow and it will just keep going without any maintenance.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
LastElf, that can be done a lot simpler using the proper sorting machine mode, and by pulling directly from a ME interface. ;)

However I still think you don't need the sorter at all, because the interface should be outputting the resources all by itself. It's just a matter of making the carpenter accept them correctly.

JuliCash

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm using a crafting Recipe actually works pretty fine.. thx LastElf..
I just told it, to craft like 100 Stacks of Scented Panneling and pulled out via Import-Bus (I will see if it somehow gets stucked, but for now, im ok with it)

For crafting the Alvearies i just simply use Fabricators..

(I dont want to use Bluetricity-Stuff in here, because im too lazy to set it up and for the long run i want to somehow get away from the RP-stuff)

thx

LastElf

Jul 29, 2019
I tried to make mine craft 100 stacks but it puts all of the one type of resource in first, clogging the system. Also, it will cease to put resources in there after a certain amount of time passes without getting the full request. I was talking to AlgorithmX2 about it a while ago and there was no workaround except to request a small amount that will fit and then request the rest of it.

Omicron: I've found the Interface to only supply if it's requested to craft something or if it's a chest. It won't keep something constantly fed if it's just a machine (I was trying to do something like that to supply fertiliser to my fermenters.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Omicron: I've found the Interface to only supply if it's requested to craft something or if it's a chest. It won't keep something constantly fed if it's just a machine (I was trying to do something like that to supply fertiliser to my fermenters.

Yes, that's exactly what a ME interface does. It outputs resources to attached inventories if (and only if) it has an external crafting pattern that is triggered by the network. Otherwise, it doesn't output resources, no matter what export filters you set for it. Why would it? It is an inventory itself. In fact, it presents itself as a chest to other devices... a chest that magically resets itself back to a predefined set of contents everytime something is taken out of it or inserted.

Therefore it really makes no sense to transfer from a ME interface to a chest and then pump out of that chest. Just pump out of the interface directly, because for all intents and purposes it already is a chest. ;)

How does AE handle the "click to craft" mechanism when there's one crafting's worth of materials left in the input?

It doesn't handle it at all, as far as I know. AE doesn't interact with machines at all beyond inserting items into adjacent inventories. It doesn't know anything about external crafting. It isn't even aware what it is inserting the items into. It just blindly trusts the user who told it that "if you insert these items into this inventory, you get back that item". If that does not come to pass, it's a user error because the user defined a pattern that does not work, or failed to provide the conditions necessary for the pattern to work.

For machines that do require the "click to craft last item" function, there's unfortunately nothing you can do beyond making sure there already is a set of ingredients in that machine so that anything inserted on top of that gets processed.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
In most times the crafting patterns are created incorrectly, be careful when creating pattens that you aren't holding a stack of items. If for instance you are holding a stack of items, lets say wood planks and put in 2x64 stacks for 4 sticks then AE thinks you need 128 planks to make 4 sticks. So if you request 24 sticks it will send 12x64 stacks of planks to whatever machine the ME Interface is attached to (I know you don't use an ME Interface for sticks I was just using it as an example).

In certain circumstances you can use this to your advantage but where limited inventory space on the machine is available it can jam up the machine with incorrect amounts.

Weird0

Jul 29, 2019
i was wondering the same and since i could not find any "real" solution i tried to solve it myself... i managed it to well ... sort of automate it without the limitation of like only allowing 100 at a time to be crafted via automated crafting or such... my method allows it to run permanently as long as there are sufficient recourses in the ae system. once you run out of one type lets say pollen the setup will stop working and needs to be manually resett.

51OMblY.png

on the left side is the squeezer supplying honey with a precision export bus to supply honey drops
the white thing is a analyzer just dont mind it i did put it there since it seemed to be a good place (this is not needed for the setup)
on the right you see the carpenter with a precision export bus, wooden pipe , autarchic gate, diamond chest hooked to a insert bus (i derped somehow and could not manage to get the insert bus pull out of the carpenter -.-)

ZjhpsUJ.png

this is the inside of the carpenter showing. i placed the needed recourses in there and filled the "blank" spots with bricks so they dont get cluttered with anything else

5jgEF6j.png

the inside of the export bus

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Anything that requires multiple resources in the machine's internal inventory is tricky. As you say, as soon as you run out of pollen the slot gets filled up with something else.

One solution to this is a variant of my "traveller's pouch". This requires one Router per resource, set to fill a specific slot, e.g. planks in Slot 0, pollen in Slot 1, etc., with an ME Export Bus feeding the Router. This way you only keep up to one stack of each resource in the machine's internal buffer.

Reactions: Netherus

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Question:

Are you trying to craft scented paneling on demand or continuously?

If it's continuously, routers are the only way to insure your system against item deficiencies (in the case of a non-3x3 grid, anyways.) The best way to go about it is just to know the production rate of your system and choke your MJ source accordingly to match your production rates.

Another way to insure your system against item deficiency is a level emitter. I am going to assume that royal jelly is the limiting reagent in this case, so set a level emitter to "signal on if less than" some value of royal jelly in your system. Use the redstone signal to stop all work in the carpenter or to turn off its power source, either will work. You may also have another level emitter for number of scented paneling in your system, going above that limit triggering the level emitter to turn off your carpenter/its energy source.

If it is an on demand system, a ME pattern can be configured to give exactly that 3-2-1-1 ratio of items. For overflow, your only definite solution is routers. You have 18 slots which is 64x18 = 512+640 = 1152 (check this). 3+2+1+1 = 7, 1152/7 = 164.571428, rounded down to 164 scented paneling is the limit-per-order of your system, without routers. **Correction**, you can only have 6+4+2+2 = 14, 9+6+3+3 = 21. You only have the ability to insert two stacks worth of scented paneling materials before your ratios are off. So your limit is 128.

With routers, you are limited to the 5 free sides of the interface. So items that have more than 5 unique items will require you to output into some sort of sorting system, feeding dedicated storage for each router. In this case you are fine.

A final solution would be to export to external storage dedicated to a single item type, then attached to its respective router. Using a level emitter to turn the system on/off and only have four slots of the carpenter filled ever. It's a bit clunky. I would prefer building the solution described in the first paragraph or second. They don't require routers. Solution number one actually makes you understand the production rates of your system which is not a bad thing by any means. Understanding your system...

Weird0

Jul 29, 2019
Anything that requires multiple resources in the machine's internal inventory is tricky. As you say, as soon as you run out of pollen the slot gets filled up with something else.

One solution to this is a variant of my "traveller's pouch". This requires one Router per resource, set to fill a specific slot, e.g. planks in Slot 0, pollen in Slot 1, etc., with an ME Export Bus feeding the Router. This way you only keep up to one stack of each resource in the machine's internal buffer.

yes i know of this and also i know that with routers it is possible to really have it automated but meh when i run out of anything needed i simply wait one night and resett the system its no biggie since im playing smp exclusively i dont need to be ingame for my bees to produce things :) also going routers on this scented paneling issue is too much work for my taste since in 2-3 days i would end up tearing it down again because i would have all the scented paneling i need :D

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
My method was to use interfaces to give my system recipes for both the panelling and the casings, then a recipe for the alveary blocks. Point an export bus at either an interface or a chest and tell it to export alveary blocks, and always craft. This can be turned off and on by redstone (level emitters, if you wish), and the chest can be attached to a storage block.

This method means that you are only using as much seed oil/honey/wax/etc as you need, which is useful if you're also using automated frames, or have other things needing those resources.